Skip to content

Help with picking a class.

InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
So after realizing most ToB story mods aren't compatible with EE, I borrowed a friend's original BG2 to play said mods (Ascension and Irenicus related mods). But as I'm going to create my Charname, I try to think of something to play that would fit the party I have in mind (Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Keldorn and Aerie). I've played a Fighter/Thief, Cavalier and Archer and now I don't know what to play, since the lack of a dedicated tank of Good alignment NPC makes me feel obligated to make one since now that I'll be playing Ascension, the difficulty in ToB will skyrocket and require preplanning. Any class suggestions for this party?

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    If you're intent on making a tank (and since you've already ruled out a cavalier), I would recommend a berserker. Or if you want something a bit more unique, a kensai.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited August 2014
    A kensai in ToB is pretty fun indeed. Mega THAC0 and damage.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    I recommend you roll Horde Deathknight, probably a Tauren for the war stomp ability
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Minsc, Jaheira, and Keldorn can all tank... I don't understand where youre getting that you have no "tank"? Your party is arcane light. I recommend rolling either a pure class mage, conjurer, or a sorcerer.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    As one who swashes buckles frequently - yes they CAN tank, but not WELL 'till higher levels/better gear (like chapter 6 of SoA and beyond). Their problem at lower levels is more gear-related.

At higher levels, Use Any Item gives them the AC to be more resilient.

In ToB, there's not much that CAN'T hit a PC (so AC itself isn't the benefit it was in late SoA), but you've got so many gear options AND fantastic top-level buff support from clerics and mages (or even themselves UAI'ing scrolls, etc) that Swashbucklers become almost OP in their late 20's.

I love the class, but come mid-30's, they actually get boring in how well they defeat all but the most powerful enemies.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    I started a game with the same NPC's in mind yesterday. I'm using Keldorn's spot for quest related npc's. Imoen's spot is Yoshimo's until Spellhold.

I decided to play as a Skald. I decided to play a support role instead of being the guy killing everything up front. Not sure if that would be a good choice with mods included. I only play vanilla.

If you don't like being a support guy, I agree that a conjurer or sorcerer would be good with that group.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I have almost never played a Cleric-type. Even my druid was a Shapeshifter.
    But then I once tried the Priest of Talos and it got...quite interesting. Basically a buff machine, buffing much more than when I had an NPC Cleric, which made all the encounters easier (I play strictly at Hard or Insane level, never less).
    I can imagine playing a Cleric in a Multiplayer group could get similarly interesting too...
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    You have quite a tanky party there with Jaheira, Minsc, Keldorn all wearing the heaviest armors. Why not try a Monk, this will fit well I think
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    As long as you start with a Gnome, the class really pales into insignificance... I'd go multiclass to get best of both worlds...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    A Gnome Fighter/Illusionist is perhaps the best tank you can get.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

I've played a Fighter/Thief, Cavalier and Archer

You simply have to try a guy with magic, good sir.

Try a fighter/mage or a blade. He will become your ultimate tank.