Skip to content

Realism in games

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
With the advent of pillars of eternity, and a few other discussions with similar topics this has been on my mind a lot. I was just over at the PoE(or is it PE? P:E? Whatever.)forum where the discussion about this is a lot more prevalent, due to the fact that we(or you, at least. I haven't given them any money) have been a large influence of the whole game, because of the way it's being created and the simple fact that it's being created now, not 15 years ago. The specific discussion that comes to mind was female breastplates... Honestly I don't think theirs any argument here, as someone who concerns himself heavily with such things(armor, not breasts. Get your mind out of the gutter) and possesses a basic understanding of human anatomy and armor. But not everyone sees it that way.
So what do you think? How much can a game stretch reality before it's to much? Obviously there are caveats and exceptions, but I'm speaking in general, and pretty much within the confines of games that are set in "the real world" or something close to it, I.E. No cartoon games; don't come crying about how the physics in angry birds is totally off.

I don't want to have a paragraph in every poll option, so I'll detail here:
1. Doesn't care that its totally dumb. Goes with anything, as long as he gets a good show. Chainmail bikini? Sure! Superman is OP? Naw.....(my apologies to superman fans but he's kinda dumb. Especially after the last movie)
2. Is ok with it if a movie/game is way off, he know they're there to entertain, not inform. o.k. With boobplate and superhero physics.
3. Thinks it's kinda silly when superman flies through a mountain and his hair stays perfect, but can deal with it if it's a good movie/game.
4. Thinks superhero/over the top action movies are dumb, but plays along. Will generally accept the crazy stuff with a decent explanation.
5. He's 'that guy' that points out why all batman's gadgets wouldn't work, and complains about how slim iron mans suit is. He is very annoying and you hate him. Trust me, I know. I am he.
6. Doesn't like anything silly. Superheroes, magic, and not dying when falling 5 stories are right out. I don't imagine this person play any videogames at all.
  1. Realism in games37 votes
    1. Entertainment is completely more important than realism.
      18.92%
    2. Entertainment is somewhat more important realism.
      21.62%
    3. Entertainment is marginally more important than realism.
      45.95%
    4. Realism is marginally more important than entertainment.
        5.41%
    5. Realism is somewhat more important than entertainment.
        5.41%
    6. Realism is completely more important than entertainment.
        2.70%
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    I always thought that entertainment came first before realism. I mean, I play a game to feel like I'm in another world, not in this one mind you. For example, some people hate how some modern FPS throw gun realism, bullet drop and all that out the window. I say, good for you because for that you have Arma. When people complain about armor design in games and such, sure it might have armor to offer eyecandy and not protection but it's a game, not life, war or a reenactment. It might seem like I'm bashing the people who complain about the lack of realism in things but I'm not, as I can understand their opinions and agree in some aspects. I just think there should be content for all types of people. Problem with having eyecandy and little to no realism sometimes is because the creators were too lazy to implement it or wanted to make money in a cheap way.
    The only fields where I ask for realism/rational construction is the story and characters, since silly characters and Deus Ex Machinas (to give examples) ruin a story for me.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I full under the range 'realism is important only if it has been made important'. I love the Mario games, and I love history/historical fiction. What I dont like is when a universe isnt very consistentand handles it poorly. I enjoy a dishonest narrarator, but I hate lazy storytelling, movie making or game making. If you world hss exceptions, stress their exceptionality.

Whats this about boobplate?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited August 2014
    Tolkien borrowd some stuff from old germanic mythology and culture, but he was good at putting his own spin on it, making it his own. I agree with CrevsDaak though, as long as it makes sense in context, its good. If stuff blatantly sticks out and makes little sense, you've got problems, and some readers/consumers will be peeved.
    Post edited by DreadKhan on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @jackjack said:

I vascillate between 3 and 4 on this. Either entertainment or realism is marginally more important, depending on when you ask me. At the moment, I'm leaning toward entertainment.

3 and 4 are pretty much the same thing. Are you two centimeters to the left of two centimeters to the right? It doesn't matter. I could have added a middle option but I'm lazy and by the time I thought of it I had already put everything that would come after it. @crevsdaak I knew I would get crap about that quick as soon as I posted this.... Flip a coin:)

So I'm an outlier. I know. My reaction to most games and action movies is "this is dumb". I hate racing games that let you smash up other cars at 200mph and run into walls. I hate first person shooters pretty much as a rule(though I have very limited experience with console games, well, any games at all, really.) I hate games with completely stupid weapons and armor, and by extension, I hate anime.(I don't like the way it looks anyway- don't try to convince me)
    So yeah, I'm an outlier, party popper, Debbie downer, hopeless realist, nitpicking, whatever.
    I cut superhero movies a little slack because they're superhero movies, but other than that I need to have a good justification.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    megalith said:

So I'm an outlier. I know. My reaction to most games and action movies is "this is dumb". I hate racing games that let you smash up other cars at 200mph and run into walls.

Actually, if the game is trying to be realistic and it's failing at it, that another thing.
    meagloth said:

@jackjack said:

I vascillate between 3 and 4 on this. Either entertainment or realism is marginally more important, depending on when you ask me. At the moment, I'm leaning toward entertainment.

3 and 4 are pretty much the same thing. Are you two centimeters to the left of two centimeters to the right? It doesn't matter. I could have added a middle option but I'm lazy and by the time I thought of it I had already put everything that would come after it. @crevsdaak I knew I would get crap about that quick as soon as I posted this.... Flip a coin:)
    I am in the middle, if I choice something different i would be lying.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That's the thing. Sometimes I feel one way, sometimes the opposite. But only slightly, in either case, and I never feel they are equally as important.
    CrevsDaak said:

megalith said:

So I'm an outlier. I know. My reaction to most games and action movies is "this is dumb". I hate racing games that let you smash up other cars at 200mph and run into walls.

Actually, if the game is trying to be realistic and it's failing at it, that another thing.
    That's kinda what I'm talking about- games that are set in a 'real world' setting. Like a live action movie. If this was about movies, I would not be talking about animation. Games that seem to conform to the usually laws we come in contact with today. Gravity, physics, practicality, ect. Im ok with silliness when it's appropriate, but things like a battlefield full of men in full armor and then a chick in a chainmail bikini, or people seeming to live in the same world I do but for no reason being able to survive have their back broken in every movie(I'm looking at you, batman).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    meagloth said:

That's kinda what I'm talking about- games that are set in a 'real world' setting. Like a live action movie. If this was about movies, I would not be talking about animation. Games that seem to conform to the usually laws we come in contact with today. Gravity, physics, practicality, ect.

I'd say this will lead to a little bit off-topic debate, but actually it could be considered on-topic so NVM this… :p

Maybe they are in an altered reality, or it is specified they have supernatural powers and can use them at will (a la Superman…), which goes in par with what I was saying, if there's knowledge and an explication for Superman being able to fly, it's OK for me (even if I also think Superman is a bit silly sometimes), but then if you are playing a game that tries to replicate RL and, e.g. cars can fly, I don't like that (too), but it also comes the fact to this debate that I don't play those type of games (i play very few games :| since I don't like many others).
    meagloth said:

or people seeming to live in the same world I do but for no reason being able to survive have their back broken in every movie(I'm looking at you, batman).

Well, no one ever meant the Batman movies are one after the other… After me, they are the most CN thing I ever saw. Read the comics if you like Batman, don't watch the movies (I didn't see the Dark Knight ones but someday I will, I hope they are good… besides the 1989 film none of the Batman movies were even acceptable for _me_).
    meagloth said:

I hate first person shooters pretty much as a rule(though I have very limited experience with console games, well, any games at all, really.)

Gotta tell you that the REAL First person shooters out there are for computer (and they are limited to Marathon, Doom, Dark Forces and Duke Nukem), where, if things sort of can be explained (Marathon uses the explanation 'your in outer space' for the 3-meters-long-jumps, which makes sense), they still fit (sometimes).

Also, Marathon (all of the series) has a pretty solid story (which was nearly wasted in a FPS) with very good background (if you actually read everything while you are getting shot by 36 creatures armed with grenade launchers…). Also, they are more like a Dungeon-crawling-FPS, since 70% of the game happens insides (well, on spaceships and that stuff) and you'll get shocked hundreds of time by monsters coming out of a sliding wall-door ;)

Halo 1 was a good successor of Marathon engine-wise, Halo 1 it's still my favorite MP FPS (while Marathon (as a series) is my all-times-favorite).
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108
    CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

I hate first person shooters pretty much as a rule(though I have very limited experience with console games, well, any games at all, really.)

Gotta tell you that the REAL First person shooters out there are for computer (and they are limited to Marathon, Doom, Dark Forces and Duke Nukem), where, if things sort of can be explained (Marathon uses the explanation 'your in outer space' for the 3-meters-long-jumps, which makes sense), they still fit (sometimes).

Also, Marathon (all of the series) has a pretty solid story (which was nearly wasted in a FPS) with very good background (if you actually read everything while you are getting shot by 36 creatures armed with grenade launchers…). Also, they are more like a Dungeon-crawling-FPS, since 70% of the game happens insides (well, on spaceships and that stuff) and you'll get shocked hundreds of time by monsters coming out of a sliding wall-door ;)

Halo 1 was a good successor of Marathon engine-wise, Halo 1 it's still my favorite MP FPS (while Marathon (as a series) is my all-times-favorite).
    Ha, never played Marathon or Dark Forces but I love Duke and I still play Doom (with the Brutal Doom mod). Still, I'd say shooters come in lots of fashions, the most popular one right now being the modern military setting. Like I said, even FPS can have a lot of realism (seriously, go look at ARMA, that's so realistic it should have a manual as big as a Paradox grand strategy game). There's one for each person and they can be very good games storywise (not a pure FPS, but look at Deus Ex or System/Bioshock).
    As for unrealistic shooters, I think a good approach on them is to just turn off your brain and fire away XD. Still, to each one his own and I don't want to look like a prick who thinks only he is right.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Yeah, I'm not going to ask for realism in a world where our laws of physics are regularly broken by saying things and gesturing and throwing copper wires and bat poop.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I like my weapons and armour to look plain and realistic, I can't stand the huge fantasy swords and over the top armour that most MMOs have.

I also like weapons to feel lethal at any level. Jagged Alliance 2 and Mount & Blade are the only games I've found that handle this well. In those games basic weapons are always a threat, even a little dagger can quickly end your super character if you're careless.

But I don't need eating, sleeping, shitting, or weight management in my games, because I can handle all that with my own roleplaying.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    meagloth said:

With the advent of pillars of eternity, and a few other discussions with similar topics this has been on my mind a lot. I was just over at the PoE(or is it PE? P:E? Whatever.)forum where the discussion about this is a lot more prevalent, due to the fact that we(or you, at least. I haven't given them any money) have been a large influence of the whole game, because of the way it's being created and the simple fact that it's being created now, not 15 years ago. The specific discussion that comes to mind was female breastplates... Honestly I don't think theirs any argument here, as someone who concerns himself heavily with such things(armor, not breasts. Get your mind out of the gutter) and possesses a basic understanding of human anatomy and armor. But not everyone sees it that way.
    So what do you think? How much can a game stretch reality before it's to much? Obviously there are caveats and exceptions, but I'm speaking in general, and pretty much within the confines of games that are set in "the real world" or something close to it, I.E. No cartoon games; don't come crying about how the physics in angry birds is totally off.

I don't want to have a paragraph in every poll option, so I'll detail here:
    1. Doesn't care that its totally dumb. Goes with anything, as long as he gets a good show. Chainmail bikini? Sure! Superman is OP? Naw.....(my apologies to superman fans but he's kinda dumb. Especially after the last movie)
    2. Is ok with it if a movie/game is way off, he know they're there to entertain, not inform. o.k. With boobplate and superhero physics.
    3. Thinks it's kinda silly when superman flies through a mountain and his hair stays perfect, but can deal with it if it's a good movie/game.
    4. Thinks superhero/over the top action movies are dumb, but plays along. Will generally accept the crazy stuff with a decent explanation.
    5. He's 'that guy' that points out why all batman's gadgets wouldn't work, and complains about how slim iron mans suit is. He is very annoying and you hate him. Trust me, I know. I am he.
    6. Doesn't like anything silly. Superheroes, magic, and not dying when falling 5 stories are right out. I don't imagine this person play any videogames at all.

WTH is PoE? I can not stand it when people begin with an acronym before spelling out what the hell it is beforehand. Lazy and/or rude.

Anyways, I don't care about scantily clad men and women, if that's how they want to roll that's on them. Or not on them, pun, deal with it. What I DO care about is me. Or more specifically, my imagination. If you give me less reality I will activate more imagination. Nothing strengthens John Lennon's favorite tool more than (paper and pencil) PnP (role playing games) RPGs. Baldur's gate is a poorly dungeon mastered computer RPG. It's up to me to make it entertaining, I must fill in the voids with illumination from my mind.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    PoE = Pillars of Eternity. He mentioned it in his first sentence.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Realism IS Entertainment and visa versa. I'm also 100% sure that Morrowind, amongst other high fantasy games, is full of very realistic plants, funghi and animals that actually exist in some other dimension!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It seems nobody, except for poor @meagloth‌ , wants realism rather than entertainment , in games :)
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    As I mentioned in another thread ( http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33920/video-games-art-form-or-entertainment#latest ), a game with any sort of plot follows some of the same rules as storytelling and writing. That's not to say a well-written game can't also be very realistic, I suppose I'm just pointing out that a very unrealistic game can still be well-written (and entertaining).

To each their own. I see both sides of the argument, and I land a little on the side of "entertainment" because I accept that reality needs a bit of tweaking. A realistic game, done well, can be the most immersive and believable of all though, so there is plenty of room to create such games.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Moved to Off-Topic. Carry on. :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm somewhere between 2 and 3, but more likely like 2. I don't play games for realism, that's for sure but it being too much off can be disturbing. I want to be as healthy mentally as possible, so I have no fixation over chainmails bikini, medieval warriors who doesn't wear armors, superhero powers and such. And I appreciate nice fanservice from time to time, I don't have Jiraiya as my avatar for nothing.

Games and movies should bring me entertaiment, sometimes something to wonder on and sometimes strong emotions. Not neccesary realism.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It depends on the game. If it's Angry Birds or something I'm a 1. Usually 2-3. Sometimes 4. I try not to be 5-6.
    bengoshi said:

It seems nobody, except for poor @meagloth‌ , wants realism rather than entertainment , in games :)

I know:)
    Jalily said:

Moved to Off-Topic. Carry on. :)

Sorry, I wasn't sure...
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited August 2014
    I'm going to say "marginally" as well. You don't want pure 100% realism because that's no fun - in an RPG, total realism would mean that unless you're noble born, you'll never even hold a sword (or see one, for that matter, unless it's about to cleave your head from your body), and you have to spend your life working on your lord's fields, and you'll almost certainly lose your first fight to the first big burly man with a beard who attacks you (unless you're an equally big burly man with an equally big beard). It also means dragons, giant spiders, goblins, and anything even remotely fantastical won't exist. Elves will simply be effeminate men who suck at archery (due to not being able to pull more than about 35 pounds), and dwarves are just midgets with beards who can't fight effectively due to reach issues, who also can't live in mountain caverns due to the problem of shifting all of those many tonnes of rock that they mine (it has to go somewhere). So, no, I don't want total realism.

But the world still has to have rules, and it has to make sense, otherwise what's the point? If we throw all logic out of the window, we might as well forget creating a world, and just have your character able to walk up to things and hit them with his "Win Stick" which instantly kills everything. Things like armour has to have a purpose, and at least look like it was designed for that purpose (which mail bikinis do not, and neither do excessively big pauldrons), and weapons have to look like they function properly, or you can make up any old crap and call it a sword.

Also, it depends on the game. If I'm playing Rise of Flight, I obviously want 100% realism in that because it's being sold as a simulator. For a fantasy RPG, too much realism will kill the fantasy aspect of it, so you want some leeway there. For something like Elite...again, total realism won't work because it'd be boring, so I want hyperspace, pew-pew lasers and WW1 style dogfighting in space. But for Kerbal Space Program, I want 100% real physics, because that's the type of game it is.

eta: actually, on the topic of realistic RPGs, this does look interesting:

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

It's a purely medieval (no monsters, dungeons, etc) RPG set in 15c Europe. Definitely worth a look if you fancy a change of pace from modern day WoW/anime influenced fantasy RPGs.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2014
    Unless the game tries to be realistic then shows unrealistic stuff, then I don't mind.
    If it tries to be realistic and has teleporting/super-dashing characters in combat and people swinging greatswords like they are made of paper, I mind. I look at you Dragon Age 2.

I can enjoy games like Chrono Cross/Final Fantasy with talking robots, bunny-girls or talking skeletons as well as more realistic games.

It depends on the setting. If the setting says that such people exist, I'm more than fine.

For example, one very popular game has a talking skull, a box-sized robot-thing, a flaming man, as well as celibate demoness. Can you guess it's name? Planescape Torment.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    These don't sound like opposites and don't necessarily have to conflict at all. But as long as the "realism" doesn't add anything or makes the gameplay less fun or engaging there's no point to add it to a game.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited August 2014
    I personally think that there are different sorts of realism. There is the realism of mechanics and physics... for example space ships making sounds in the vacuum of space cos people would find absolute silence too dull, or exaggerated weapons and armour common in fantasy settings. In this scenario, within the realms of reason, I don't mind if scientific realism is sacrificed for mainstream market appeal and entertainment value.

However the kinda (un)realism I cannot stand is poor logical realism, for example where the hero randomly finds a new power that allows him to defeat the villain, or where an antagonist does something incredibly stupid in order for the protagonist's genius plan to work out precisely. Seriously if I ever became a super-villain, I'd kill the heroes the moment I capture them, not gloat and then leave them alive guarded by incompetent sub-ordinates.