Skip to content

Favourite IWD Item

IWD had some pretty nice swag, what was your favourite item, and why? Toss in some runners up for bonus points. ;)

Runner Ups:

The Faulty Bag of Holding, or 'Graveyard of Cats', was pretty funny. Maybe Jesters will get better pulls in EE? Heh

Kresselack's black armour was cool. I kept using it for coolness after better options became available.

Winner:
Blood Iron, the +4 short sword that heals you was my favourite. Cool lore, cool looking on the paper doll, and very effective for a fighter/thief to use, provided you have good THAC0! I made a new PC just to use it. ;)

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Joril's Axe.

'Cause Frost Giants make the best Two-Handed Axes.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...I also made a ranger just for that axe.

Giving Star was surprisingly good longer term, evil weapons were kewl.
  • KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    It's been a really long time since I played IWD, but wasn't there a really good Paladin longsword in there?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    The only item I remember is the frostdart (though that one might be from IWD2).
    I was used to giving my mages and raged clerics slings from BG, this neat little item changed that.
    Krieger said:

It's been a really long time since I played IWD, but wasn't there a really good Paladin longsword in there?

Pale Justice iirc. Pretty strong. The easter egg sword was the next best I think.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I always liked Kaylessa's Bow, as if Bow user weren't strong enough now they get plus one dex on top of that.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I always liked the Ring of Reckless Action. Yes, it penalizes your AC by 2 points but you get an extra attack per round with it on top of the multiple attacks your character already receives due to fighter level or other equipment.

Repeating Heavy Crossbow. +5 to hit and 3 attacks per round? The only drawback is that there are no +3 bolts (well, not in the vanilla game) but you can load up with bolts of polymorphing to gather more squirrels for the Arboretum.

The Snow Maiden's Reaver. Yes, only a +2 weapon but it has a 10% chance to freeze an opponent solid and it works even against creatures which are normally immune to cold.

In fact, there are many items I like in IWD even if some of them were originally broken (some of the special "named" items actually had no special effect despite their description, which is why I always fixed them).
    Ever random the crossbow with a base of 3 attacks? :D if only we had +5 bolts like in IWD2.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    edited September 2014
    There was a sword that only fighter-mages could use, Enforcer +3, and it lets you remember extra spells plus magic resistance.

I also remember an armor that took 25 off your HP but has the lowest AC, Glory of Suffering, which was removed from the original game and could only be received via cheating.
  • I love masterwork items, they are great and we need them in BG!
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The Morningstar AND Long Sword of Action... for added absurdity, dual wield them for +2 APR, and use the Reckless Action Ring to compensate a lack of fighter levels if you dual.
    Dazzu said:

The Morningstar AND Long Sword of Action... for added absurdity, dual wield them for +2 APR, and use the Reckless Action Ring to compensate a lack of fighter levels if you dual.

I never could stomach fishing for items, but I never got either of those. I fished for the hone girdle, felt dirty, like I had a cha penalty. ;)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I don't remember the name of the swords, but which ever one that does some wicked fire damage. We like fire. Fire, fire, fire!
    One of my favorites that I made for the Auril's Bane mod is Cold Hearted. Cold resistance, +2d6 Cold Damage and a 30% chance that target will be frozen solid.
    There was one called Bhaal's Fire in Keeper, iirc removed by HoW. Was a CRAZY sword, on par almost with the massive fire halberd in IWD2.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    This is why I need IWD:EE. I never stuck with an IWD playthrough long enough to see any of the really cool loot.
    DreadKhan said:

There was one called Bhaal's Fire in Keeper, iirc removed by HoW. Was a CRAZY sword, on par almost with the massive fire halberd in IWD2.

Its still in the game resources. Save game editor or console command is your friend.

• TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    My favorite item was probably the Bathed-in-Blood armor. It reminded me of the red dragon armor from bg2 and the story it has made me really think "wow, this armor is seriously kick ass". Also, the unique ice weapons that you can forge in the Gloomfrost are pretty cool and so is the Winter Kings plate armor.
    edited September 2014

One of my favorites that I made for the Auril's Bane mod

Was that *you* who made Auril's Bane? If so, then I knew you in another life on another board by a different name. That was one of the very few mods which someone else made that I downloaded and played.

Me and Grog made it. It used to be two mods, Winter's Bane, his mod and Project Auril, my mod. PA was my first mod ever.

One of my favorites that I made for the Auril's Bane mod

Was that *you* who made Auril's Bane? If so, then I knew you in another life on another board by a different name. That was one of the very few mods which someone else made that I downloaded and played.

Fandraxx said:

I always liked Kaylessa's Bow, as if Bow user weren't strong enough now they get plus one dex on top of that.

But if you get that, your bard might miss out on what may be their only suit of armor, and that's bad.
    @Dazzu‌ I've never actually ran a bard; i know their good but i've never ran one. I might when IWD:EE comes out tho

Fandraxx said:

@Dazzu‌ I've never actually ran a bard; i know their good but i've never ran one. I might when IWD:EE comes out tho

It's also great for dual or multi-class mages. There are plenty of Longbows, and the Messenger of Sset from Dragon's Eye has an advantage that isn't documented (+1 APR.)
    @Dazzu Really? well now that changes things abit I'll admit you have me intrigued.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    My memory on the particular items from IWD betrays me. I remember the music, the feeling, the atmosphere, the locations, the battles... but unfortunately I don't remeber certain items.

I hope IWD:EE will fix it:)
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    Applebane!!! Was the first magic weapon I came across when I first played. The mental imagery of my hero wielding this thing and evil apples running in terror made me laugh a decade ago, and it seems to have stuck with me.

Me and Grog made it. It used to be two mods, Winter's Bane, his mod and Project Auril, my mod. PA was my first mod ever.

Ah so. I didn't pick up on it until it was already AB.

No love for Vexing Thoughts?

This vexes me. :p
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Vexing Thoughts was pretty awesome, but my favorite has to be the Axe of the Minotaur Lord, partially because it was awesome (+4 battleaxe that deal d12 damage and has a stupifier's stun ability? Yes please), and partially because half its stats were in its description instead of its stat block and that amuses me.

Although if you're asking for the *best*, it's gotta be the ring of wizardry that doubles 1st and 2nd level spells.
    Didn't HoF have 5th lvl Ring of Wizardry? Also, do not remember that axe! Sounds good though.
    That axe is from TotLM and it is an excellent weapon.

There are *three* rings of wizardry. One doubles 1st-level, one doubles 1st and 2nd, and one doubles 5th-level spells. Sadly, you can't try to trick the DM into allowing a "toe ring of wizardry" to wear all three.