Skip to content

Icewind Dale Character Creation Tips

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Dazzu said:

Why are you building a fully evil party or fully good? That's highly inefficient to not mix to a slight degree lest you miss out on items. Your evil guy can walk up to the mummy to waste his spell, but if it's a priest, the undead won't explode.

...*facepalm*
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894

I've always wanted a single class cleric in my party so that his turn undead ability is ready for the very first big area after the prologue - the Vale of Shadows. I wouldn't want to do those dungeons with a multi-classed cleric whose turn undead ability would be down by at least a level, and maybe two levels.

It doesn't stop there, either. IWD is an extremely undead heavy game. We're talking swarms of them, in almost every area.

I can't remember how much XP is earned at this point in the game, but a Fighter 2 > Cleric isn't really "2
    Levels behind" a single classed Cleric, at least not for very long. After the Cleric reaches level 3, s/he's about 4500 XP behind a single classer. That's nothing, in the long run

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @BelgarathMTH‌ specifically said "multi-classed," @Klorox, not dual-class.
    My bad!
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Is a Berserker > Druid dual a viable character in IWD? I had one rolled up in BG but never got around to playing it.

I would guess a max Berserker level of 9, but what about weapon proficiencies? BG2 I was going with scimitars, are there enough good ones in IWD to go with? Or stick with good ol quarterstaff?
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    luskan said:

Is a Berserker > Druid dual a viable character in IWD? I had one rolled up in BG but never got around to playing it.

I would guess a max Berserker level of 9, but what about weapon proficiencies? BG2 I was going with scimitars, are there enough good ones in IWD to go with? Or stick with good ol quarterstaff?

There are a few good scimitars in the game, but they come much later and there are barely any quarterstaves in the game. i think the best scimitar you can get b4 like chapter 5 is +2
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited September 2014
    It is viable, but rolling an ideally statted one ideally is a pain. I'd keep str as 15 or 16, and max the other warrior and druid essentials and take advantage of the Gloves of Elven might. 18/51 may seem weak, but it also functions like a free ring of protection (+1 Armor/saves) while not conflicting with magic gear.

The best Scimitar you'll have for a while is the Lucky Scimitar (+2 and grants luck effect) which at Conlan's only costs about 5000g and then one of Drizzt's... and later on the Valiant, which is +2 with +1 APR. On the other hand, large swords offers longswords if you're going for long term fighter usage of say lvl 13 dualling level. In IWD, it takes only 1.8 million to get back to 14.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Also, 18/51 is anything but weak. It's incredibly powerful.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited September 2014
    In really short a party of:

Paladin
    Fighter/Thief
    Fighter/Cleric
    Mage
    Druid
    Bard

- are really pretty much what you need and works great. No need to complicate things more, unless you want less than 6 members.

I would also keep the Druid single-class because they get awesome shapes after level 10 I think.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Archaos said:

In really short a:
    I would also keep the Druid single-class because they get awesome shapes after level 10 I think.

This is why I'd dual. Those awesome shapes would do nicely with the right shield or an APR boost.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Archaos said:

In really short a party of:

Paladin
    Fighter/Thief
    Fighter/Cleric
    Mage
    Druid
    Bard

- are really pretty much what you need and works great. No need to complicate things more, unless you want less than 6 members.

wow.... totally my party, except maybe a ranger/cleric

My question: do rangers still get the extra attack per round when not using an off-hand, or will that be eliminated because of the implementation of dual wielding?
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2014
    Full regular BG2 style proper TWF/Dual wield is in; therefore, no empty off hand extra attack.

And yes, Ranger/Cleric > Fighter/Cleric ;-)
    RAM021 said:

Why?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    Yes, it's indeed an interesting question.

Now when in IWDEE Ranger/Cleric's druidic spells are nerfed, a Fighter/Cleric may be a better choice:

1) you can play as a shorty race for shorty bonus as a Fighter/Cleric, a Ranger/Cleric must be half-elf only.

2) you can get half-orc's STR and CON bonuses.

3) there's the freedom to choose your alignment besides "good" as a Fighter/Cleric.

4) on epic levels (for e.g., in the HoF mode) and if there're HLAs in IWDEE, a Fighter/Cleric gets more HLAs than a Ranger/Cleric.

A Fighter/Cleric doesn't get Two Weapon Fighting points for free and gets no Favored Enemy but still a Fighter/Cleric looks better. The single fact a Ranger/Cleric can't cast IronSkins in IWDEE changes it all.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    I'm pretty sure that a Ranger/Cleric can cast iron skin (although you have to wait until 22 Ranger). More spells per day and expanded spell book are both pretty good reasons to play one.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, ranger/cleric gets Iron Skin when they could cast it as a Ranger. But a single classed ranger would get it significantly sooner.

Probably not before completing the game in normal mode though.
    bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    The single fact a Ranger/Cleric can't cast IronSkins in IWDEE changes it all.
    Ergo since Ranger/Cleric CAN cast Iron Skin it changes nothing.
    RAM021 said:

bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    Since they can't do it until they hit 22nd level as Ranger, it changes everything unless you are playing HoF mode. And even then, you are better as a single classed ranger.
    Fardragon said:

RAM021 said:

bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    Since they can't do it until they hit 22nd level as Ranger, it changes everything unless you are playing HoF mode. And even then, you are better as a single classed ranger.
    Except that if you are NOT playing HoF then you are not going to achieve Ranger22 either...
    edited October 2014
    RAM021 said:

Fardragon said:

RAM021 said:

bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    Except that if you are NOT playing HoF then you are not going to achieve Ranger22 either...
    That's my point. However, if you ARE playing HoF (or soloing), a single class Ranger will get Iron Skin earlier, and have many other advantages over a Ranger/Cleric.

Without the BG cheese, there really isn't a great deal of point in ranger/cleric multis, even in HoF. Stalker(9)->Cleric dual isn't bad with IWD sneak attack though. Stalker(14)->Cleric dual in HoF.
    Fardragon said:

RAM021 said:

Fardragon said:

RAM021 said:

bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Why?
    That's my point. However, if you ARE playing HoF (or soloing), a single class Ranger will get Iron Skin earlier, and have many other advantages over a Ranger/Cleric.

Without the BG cheese, there really isn't a great deal of point in ranger/cleric multis, even in HoF. Stalker(9)->Cleric dual isn't bad with IWD sneak attack though. Stalker(14)->Cleric dual in HoF.
    Fairly certain you do not have a point; at the very least you have not adequately conveyed one...

In HoF/Solo the Cleric multi/dual is still a better option than a straight Ranger. Given that spell casting is more versatile than melee, any caster automatically has a significant advantage in this regard. Yes, the improved Ranger (and Paladin) casting help, but they lag far behind a straight caster.

In IWD, much like the Black Pits, the game has a functional level cap, since the XP cap only affects duals - allowing you to reach Ranger30/Cleric30, providing significant advantages over an equivalent Fighter/Cleric. Alignment is a non-issue since non-good Clerics and especially evil Clerics lack access to the best spells. If HLA are in both Ranger & Fighter will get the same number, although yes the Fighter would cap out first.

By giving up racial selection and accepting a steeper experience curve, the R/C gains access to Druid spells, more weapon proficiencies and tracking. The Ranger gains greater casting abilities while the Fighter loses Grandmastery.

Even if we take your simplistic approach and look solely at a single class Ranger, by the time the Ranger gets Iron Skin the R/C is already casting multiple level7 spells with access to lvl4 Druid spells. A fairly large power differential. Indeed as the single/solo Ranger caps out, the R/C is close to achieving Iron Skin itself and still has more potential power growth.

Is the R/C as badass as in BG? No, but it still remains one of the best multis/duals in IWD.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Your English is quite good.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    That was a very detailed and informative first post @Emian keep it up!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited February 2015
    Character creation tip? Hmmm....

Don't rely on a single arcane caster . It helps a lot to have a backup caster, such as a bard, or multiclass -/mage.

Also , have at least one party member proficient in crossbows , there are some very good ones in the game.