Skip to content

Projectiles old but still annoying issue

For the record: I know that this is an old BG bug but I wasn't sure if post it as a bug report or feature request.
When we're using the same type of projectiles (for eg. arrows +1), after depleting a stack, our char automatically switches to another stack of the same projectiles in the quiver. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way when we have different kinds of projectiles in quiver for eg. arrows +2 and arrows +1. In that case our char switches to melee weapon instead of using another stack of projectiles in quiver.

This leads to the situation when in some major combat we can't plan to use some sequence attacks for eg. "I'll use 3 x arrows than 2 y arrows and finally a stack of z arrows".

I hope this can be solved. :)

Comments

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    The behaviour is intentional, it is like this to prevent the player from unintentionally consuming ammo they didn't intend to use.
  • macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
    If I don't intend to use something I don't put it into the quiver?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    A lot of players put different types of arrows into their quiver for situational uses, much like alternate Quick Weapons. But if you automatically switched from your Arrows +1 to your Arrows of Detonation, you can imagine how that would be a disaster.
  • macu67macu67 Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    @Dee‌
    The arrows of detonation is actually the only case when something could go wrong...(at least in BG1). I don't think players need to be treated like 3 y.o. children for which you produce extra safe drug containers, because otherwise they'll overdose or something. Let us decide if we want to detonate ourselves! :)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @macu67‌ autopause is your friend. Click on pause when weapon is unusable. When the game is paused you can then micromanage your ammo.

I must admit, I never put arrows of detonation in the ammo slot until just before firing them.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Anduin said:

I must admit, I never put arrows of detonation in the ammo slot until just before firing them.

ok, no one does because we all know about this, but only because it already happened to us *AND* because we have stacks of 80 +2 arrows we're stocking to use against some Undead… specifically… those immune to +1 and lower.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Indeed, we all figured out the hard way 'dont quiver it if you dont want to use it'
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Good modus operandi @DreadKhan‌

Arrows of detonation are indeed the obvious ones. At least your survivors realise this quickly.
    I also dislike accidentally wasting arrows of dispelling. More so on a de-buffed enemy, refreshing them.
    & acid/fire arrows on non-trolls.
    & sunstone bullets too. My favourite for the Shadow Altar, a 1 shot wonder.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Ugh, or wasting srrows of biting you had put in the arrow slots because you were running out of space. On a mook that was nearly dead. Same for all high price or rare ammo.

Fire Arrows are actually a really important one, since you could waste all your damn trollkillers just injuring a troll. Which would suck. Hard.
  • cognoscentuscognoscentus Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2014
    Back in November 2013... forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24303/after-exhausting-a-stack-of-ranged-ammo-character-swaps-to-melee
    AlexT said:

This is a bug.

It will be addressed in the next patch.

AlexT also noted that it's not just a bug, it's also a feature!
    AlexT said:

Well that is upsetting. I quite liked this feature.

You can get the same functionality by going to the Options -> Gameplay -> Auto Pause menu and ticking the Weapon Unusable box.

The game will now be paused every time your character depletes an ammo stack.
    This "option" is now not an option after equipping your party with magical weapons in BG1 and completely not an option in BG2. How does an "option" that is mostly not optional not be a bug?

Post edited by cognoscentus on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Well, some people want expensive projectiles to be swapped on, some want them to be preserved.
    It is obvious we cannot do both at the same time. Since losing the items would be worse than using autopause, i think they should just do the pause when the quiver is empty and there is no compatible ammo.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    There has been quite a lot of these slippery slopes concerning the redesigned features in EE. If the most questionable ones of these features would be optional and customizable in-game, players wouldn't have a need to complain about the altered design. I do understand the game developer's perspective on the matter, it is often preferrable to find the single best - or the least worst - solution and stick with it, especially when developing a multi-platform title.

As a player, on the other hand, the lack of optionality bugs me, bugs me to goo. x)