Skip to content

I love these games, but... Doubt this game is completable

Let me start with how much baldurs gate 1 is my favorite game. I have beaten it well over 8 times with a party of 2-3 thieves and such not. I am good at the game and know the last boss fight well enough that I will usually only die once before I find something that works. I am excellent at that game. However the boss fight with sarevok with a solo char or party of 2 or 3 is nothing but simple compared to the boss fight in hell irenicus bg 2.

I used to play bg2 nonstop with solo builds but when it came to make it through with a party of 2-6 its impossible. The fight has no skill and goes on too long. Its one of the worst fights in history and the reasoning why is because the game would have been good if it was made without spellcaster weirdness.

I read somewhere about them adding sequencers and more spellcasters to the fights. Removing spellcasters is hard enough as it is.

I am just going to tell you right now that I will probably buy the game but I doubt it will be completable for most people and even people like myself who know 2nd edition.

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    mage fights require careful study of spell descriptions and some trial and error before understanding what works on what. discovering that is almost like an adventure mini-game. you can also find good advice on that online and cut to the chase. the game will become easy then (it is easy by design; tob is a little harder at times).
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    I never actually got far in throne of bhaal. That game was too hard as well. Like I said, there was someone that found out that by actual statistics that 80% of most gamers never complete the game they purchase. Now I would like to say with the harder games its even higher. Expecting a gamer of this generation to do what you just said to do is never going to happen.

The only people that are going to be able to stick it out will be the ones that are familiar with the rules and masochists.

• DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    In Bg2:
    Mage killing requires careful timing, spells like breach, Greater Malison , piece magic even can make a difference. Remove magic is combat form (only targets enemies) similar to dispel magic (which includes whole party).

Using Magic Arrows, bullets and darts to try to disrupt their spellcasting. There is a short bow which doesn't require bullets if I remember is good against mages/casters.

Inquisitors like Keldorn in the party are good if u like having him.

Its being like long time since I started bg2 so im trying my best to remember and type good information.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited September 2014
    As others have said on the forums, I doubt you'll see quite as many spell and counterspell situations in IWD. IWD starts with level one characters so I don't think you'll encounter mages with full wards and protections from the beginning as that would be a game over for low level characters with no access to counters. Later in the game perhaps you'll encounter a few who use more BG2-like tactics. Heart of Fury mode might be a great place for wizard spell duels though, as it is intended to be a greater challenge.

What you mention is definitely one of the major differences between BG1 and 2. I remember my first time playing BG 2 was really frustrating. Mages seemed nigh invincible at first, and I often resorted to "cheese" tactics like flooding a room with multiple cloud kills and then shutting the door on the annoying mages. "Choke on that, invincible ones!" Through trial and error I learned the ropes, and things became a lot more manageable.

In regard to BG 2 I can see though how it might be a deal breaker for someone who had grown used to the BG 1 style of combat and just wanted to enjoy more of the same buttkicking for goodness. I'd suggest lowering the difficulty, at least during harder mage battles, and finding a few useful exploits to wipe out the mages quickly. For instance, I've found the Gesen Bow in the hands of my Archer to be a really effective mage slayer in many situations. "Eat electric death, spell mumbling fools!" There are, as I'm sure you know, quite a few guides online for dealing with mage protections. I'd suggest grabbing a few of the cheesiest exploits and shamelessly using them to get past the mages as quickly as possible since those fights aren't much fun for you. And, I know this is against the gamer's code, but if you really love a game aside from one annoying thing then make use of cheats. Ctrl Y the dang wizards and drop in a demon or two with the console to give a more melee oriented challenge.

Happily, as mentioned above, IWDEE is going to have a story mode so any pesky wizard encounters can be "walked through" to get to the next stage, and hopefully something you find more fun. And, I'd be willing to bet some hardworking modder will release a mod to strip away the BG2 elements and offer a more vanilla experience.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I do agree that BG2's rock-paper-scissors mage protection spells make the game stupidly artificially hard to the uninitiated. Hell, I understand it, and how to combat it, and I still think it's completely asinine. No spell should just make you immune to magic weapons, the crux of the progression for warrior classes.
    The party I did in BG 2 that couldnt beat Irenicus in that hell fight-

1 Half Orc Cleric of talos with +3 or +4 mace/shield (Me)
    1 Anomen with gauntlet of dexterity and mace/shield (Fightercleric)
    1 Jan with spells and (Thief/illusionist)

The party couldnt beat the fight because jan is too weak. Im not into playing with weak characters. And always in the past thats spellcasters. They cant fight and I have no use for them.

This would be alright if it was Pool of radiance (Tbased) but its not. 2nd edition turnbased makes mages actually really good as you can setup a fireball easily. In real time mages are useless for ranged aoes.

Im going to go with this party for IWD1 EE:

1 Full class wizardslayer with twohanded weapon style and staff or spear (Me)
    1 Cleric/mage which is what I made in Poradiance. This guy can be backup fighter and spellcaster
    1 Full class cleric of helm half orc. He will specialize in two handed or mace/shield.

If I can do Pool of Radiance with a party similar to this abovementioned then this game it has to work. If it doesnt then this game will suck because Ive been told PORadiance is harder. Although I dont think so. I am again more used to tbased combat.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @BelgarathMTH‌
    All of those are good suggestions for getting through BG2. Take heed, @DKnight‌.

There's still the issue that one class shouldn't require that much strategy and spell/item investment to be able to deal with. If a mage is completely unprotected by bodyguards, summoned monsters, terrain, and traps, a Fighter should be able to simply walk up and slap the crap out of him barring being hit by any stunning/dominating/confusion spells. High-level IE play would have been so much better with more 3rd Edition-like spell lists, with ice, fire, and prismatic walls and other, less cheap tricks. 3E Wizards are still quadratic and unbalanced, but at least the game doesn't slap you in the face with that by making them immune to damage and being targeted by any spells/abilities in addition to stopping time and killing things instantly.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    why are you playing with only three characters?

does you mage have reduced spell casting time?
    bob_veng said:

why are you playing with only three characters?

does you mage have reduced spell casting time?

Controlling party members in real time is too confusing. I can control 6 if the game was turnbased. Unfortunately it is not. On top of that, the more people you have in the party there are at least 2 weakest links. I cant control more than 3 guys because its extremely tedious. Once you told one guy what to do another get held, paralyzed, what not.

As to Belgarath's list of stuff, how am I supposed to remember or know what to use what. The mage could cast confusion one time and fear another?

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited September 2014
    Ninja'd, nevermind. :)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Cheking the right autopause options can allow BG to become a turn based game, also if you have 2 mages in your party, one pure mage and a multiclass, one attack spells based and one defense spells based, your chances to win will increase highly! ;)
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Hamm I know there is a bit of IWD:EE in it but it mostly about BG:EE so doesn't it suppose to be in the BG section?? @Metalloman‌ @Heindrich‌ @mlnevese‌ @bengoshi‌ ????
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    @kaguana

I think OP is, in a way, asking for Beamdog not to include sequencers, contingencies and the counterspells [breach, pierce magic etc.] which exist in BG2 but are almost non-existent in BG1 and non-existent in IWD1/IWD2.

I personally agree with him but the existence of those spells will not annoy me too much.
    @Casadoom‌ Yes he is about spells being added to IWD but the talk went to BG talk rather then IWD talk
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    DKnight said:

The party couldnt beat the fight because jan is too weak. Im not into playing with weak characters. And always in the past thats spellcasters. They cant fight and I have no use for them.

1 Cleric/mage which is what I made in Poradiance. This guy can be backup fighter and spellcaster
    1 Full class cleric of helm half orc. He will specialize in two handed or mace/shield.

Both terrible parties. Why do have so much cleric, you have too much for even a 6-person party. Single class clerics aren't very good and Orcs aren't a great choice (more of an average choice) for a cleric. If you like half-orc clerics for some roleplay reason then fair enough. Wizard Slayers are also bad.

FYI Jan is the most powerful character there. If by "weak" you mean "can't fight well in melee" then no he can't do that so well, but if by "weak" you mean "I don't understand how to use a mage" then that's your ignorance.

ryuken87 said:

DKnight said:

Both terrible parties. Why do have so much cleric, you have too much for even a 6-person party. Single class clerics aren't very good and Orcs aren't a great choice (more of an average choice) for a cleric. If you like half-orc clerics for some roleplay reason then fair enough. Wizard Slayers are also bad.

FYI Jan is the most powerful character there. If by "weak" you mean "can't fight well in melee" then no he can't do that so well, but if by "weak" you mean "I don't understand how to use a mage" then that's your ignorance.

I would use more chars but the game isnt turnbased and thus too confusing. I could have sworn that the original games Bg 1 IWD1 and Bg 2 had turnbased included. I dont know if they still do but it would make the game playable and possibly beatable.

I was going to make the wizardslayer or generic fighter for 1 .
    Then go with cleric/mage for spellcaster for 2.
    I want to include some kind of warrior for 3rd character. Maybe a blade for 3.

So I guess the fighter would act as warrior and damagedealer, the spellcaster would heal and cast spells to remove protections from mages and cast attack spells when possible and the bard would fight when possible and cast haste on party and other helpful attack spells he gets at higher level than mage.

If that party doesnt work then I will try and solo with a powerful class. Solo actually might be much better as you now have access to all the classes unavailable. In that case you dont have to cart around 5 more losers that act as cannon fodder.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited September 2014
    @DKnight‌
    DKnight said:

Controlling party members in real time is too confusing. I can control 6 if the game was turnbased. Unfortunately it is not. On top of that, the more people you have in the party there are at least 2 weakest links. I cant control more than 3 guys because its extremely tedious. Once you told one guy what to do another get held, paralyzed, what not.

As to Belgarath's list of stuff, how am I supposed to remember or know what to use what. The mage could cast confusion one time and fear another?

As @Metalloman‌ alluded, if you go to options > gameplay > autopause, selecting these settings may help you a great deal, particularly for the harder fights:

Weapon unusable
    End of round (this will make it turn based)
    Spell Cast (so your mages don't waste too many rounds just standing around)
    Character injured
    Character's target destroyed
    Enemy sighted
    Trap found

You will begin to think of the mechanics the way the game does, i.e. in 6 second increments.

As far as your other question goes, you will begin to have it all down pat, but it may take a while. Another tip is to maximize the information box and carefully read what is happening. The game tells you, but sometimes it goes too fast to read. Pause the game and take a moment to read the combat information. This will help you counter actions. As @BelgarathMTH‌ stated in his wonderful post, you will begin to anticipate their actions and be ahead of the curve.

Derp. Edited tag to correct mistake. Thanks @kaguana‌ !
    Post edited by JLee on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure there's much point in trying to explain the merits of auto/manual pausing to the OP here, as it was already discussed extensively in another of his/her threads.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21636/i-honestly-cant-play-real-time-games-anymore
    JLee said:

As far as your other question goes, you will begin to have it all down pat, but it may take a while. Another tip is to maximize the information box and carefully read what is happening. The game tells you, but sometimes it goes too fast to read. Pause the game and take a moment to read the combat information. This will help you counter actions. As @Belgarath‌ stated in his wonderful post, you will begin to anticipate their actions and be ahead of the curve.

As @BelgarathMTH‌ stated - fix it for you ;)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    If you're set on a 3-person party then something like this will actually be good:
    Fighter/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief
    Sorcerer
    ryuken87 said:

If you're set on a 3-person party then something like this will actually be good:
    Fighter/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief
    Sorcerer

Thats what I wanted to know about was what classes work. I think the reason I got so frustrated about the games was probably because I DONT and I really mean DONT know what I am doing designing a party. I just as much figure that the party will find a way to work.

I used a swashbuckler lvl 10 and imoen as a lvl 10 thief to melee sarevok and it worked because sarevok I figured a loophole in melee.

Ryuken87,

I used a swashbuckler in a solo run in Bg1 EE. Would the party you mentioned work if it were something like

Fighter/cleric
    Sorcerer
    Swashbuckler Or Blade

I dont really know what backup fighter would be better.