Skip to content

Raassad kills assassin????

So I was playing last night and, after clearing the mines, I headed back to town to lick my wounds and identify my bounty. I was all prepared to take on the Assassin that attacks you in the street outside the in at Nashkal. I moved down the street anticipating (meta-gaming) the attack. When it finally happened, Raassad, who isn't a member of my party but is merely hanging around the town, steps in and kills her in one blow... and robs me of the XP.!!!

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    It happened to me too (v. 1.3).
    I reloaded :)
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's normal i think because out-of-party NPCs react like that when your hostiles are close.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Yea Rassad helped me fight Nimbul too. Although in my case, it was an Amnish guard who landed the killing blow.

Rassad's intervention also pre-empted him to approach my party to introduce himself. I thought it was a nice touch, even if I was planning to ignore his presence.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I don't so much mind the kill as the loss of experience. That is the part that hurt. But yeah, he used it as an excuse to introduce himself in my case as well. I let the guy down softly though. Definitely not my style at all. And I had to hold Shar Teel back from slitting his throat.
    it would only be problematic if he was to get killed by the assassin/nimbul without the rookie player being aware of what happened
    @bob_veng‌ I maybe wrong but I think the AI is designed such that Nimbul does not target him.

I was playing with some personal rules that meant I had done all of the Nashkel Mine and the "Amazons" without any rest, and so I was totally out of spells and fatigued by the time I reached Nimbul, and so I actually suffered a wipe on my first attempt. Basically he sent my entire party (minus Imoen) fleeing in all directions with a Horror, and then killed Imoen pretty quickly with MMs before taking out Neera, Jaheira and Charname with MMs as they ran around like headless chickens. All that time Rassad and two guards were attacking him, but he totally ignored them, even though Rassad was right in his face, and my party were running around and not even attacking him.

On my second attempt I once more lost control of everyone except Immy and Neera, but this time a lucky shot by one of the Amnish guards killed him.
    heh i play with the same limited resting restrictions :)

...so it looks like rasaad as a rule won't die in these encounters. definitely no problem here then (<@OP)
    It's only a minor inconvenience, and generally one that probably helps more than it harms. Still, the loss of XP and the fact that an otherwise normally tough battle becomes a cake walk that kind of miffed me. As soon as I saw him, Shar Teel sent two arrows into him, followed by a Larac's Drain from Charname and a Magic Missile from Neera and then Raassad finished the job with one hit. It was literally over before it began. Quite comical actually.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    It is noted somewhere in release notes (before 1.3) that Rasaad helps out if party is attacked within his view. I think he takes on Phoenix Guards also, if they come that far north in town.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It is common script for party npcs to attack enemies when they are not in party. In bg2, even when she is not in the party, Nalia helps with copper coronet guards too, attacking with her shortsword:'for the needy!'
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    That's what you get for spelling his name wrong
    Rasaad :)
    Raassad :(
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Beware as this may cause the following bug.

Raaaaaassslaaade.... :-P
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    It also seems that Nimbul's Horror spell doesn't affect either Rasaad (if he's not in your party) or the Amnish guards (or any other NPC that's not in your party). So, similar to what @Heindrich said, even if your whole party freaks out, you're not necessarily completely screwed.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Razzle-dazzle.
    Nimran said:

Razzle-dazzle.
    Rincewind.

edited October 2014

Nimran said:

Razzle-dazzle.
    Rincewind.

Rice 'n dice.
    Nimran said:

Nimran said:

Razzle-dazzle.
    Rincewind.

Rice 'n dice.
    Susan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2014

Nimran said:

Nimran said:

Razzle-dazzle.
    Rincewind.

Rice 'n dice.
    Susan.
    C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Rasaad? There's no way he could've hit the assassin. :| He probably tripped and fell on him. :P

He was juggling a few too many axes, soup bowls, and hedgehogs.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    The Amnish guards often rob me of Nimbul's XP.

The Amnish guards often rob me of Nimbul's XP.

I think that's why he wears boots of avoidance, to be protected from the many archer guards around. It will do zilch against a critical hit, though.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    woah woah woah, I thought Nimbul was immune to normal missiles? but doesn't the captain of the guard have fire arrows or something?
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894

woah woah woah, I thought Nimbul was immune to normal missiles? but doesn't the captain of the guard have fire arrows or something?

He's not immune, but the Boots of Avoidance make him very hard to hit.
    edited October 2014

Hmm now you say it..He can have protection from missiles spell as a prebuff, if you have the scs mod.

• SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    Calmar said:

Back in the olden tymes, I had to wait until the Amnian soldiers march north with me to have some support against the assassin. :)

I had to do that too......

Calmar said:

Back in the olden tymes, I had to wait until the Amnian soldiers march north with me to have some support against the assassin. :)

For me, in olden tymes it was 'click on enemy to attack,' so you're alright.
    edited October 2014
    Calmar said:

Olden tymes ? I did it last week... Actually I used the alternative tactic of running away screaming for the guards to come help...

And that was before he hit most of my party with Horror to make them REALLY run around screaming.