Skip to content

The Tales of Sima Jin - Min. Reload RP driven playthrough.

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited October 2014 in Challenges and Playthroughs
This will be a full-saga roleplay-driven playthrough of the BG Trilogy using BG:EE and BG2:EE. It will be a minimum-reload game at Core Rules difficulty with a number of personal rules and restrictions.

Rules:

1) Accept all consequences.
Reloads only permitted for PC death or permanent death of select "protected NPCs". Protected NPCs are Imoen and Neera in BG1 and only Neera in BG2. (This is primarily for roleplay purposes and so that I don't miss out on Neera's content for this playthrough.)
2) No mysterious resurrection.
Any NPC suffering permanent death in BG1 cannot return in BG2.
3) No min/max'd stats for the PC.
Basically PC stats ought to be roughly in line with ingame NPCs, rather than godly individuals with 18/18/18 as standard.
4) Story-driven decisions
Decisions ingame should be driven by roleplay, not metagaming. I want to slay Fiirkraag to avenge Ajantis and bring an end to his evil, not because I remember he drops the mighty Carsomyr.
5) Realistic rest.
No resting in "active dungeons", which are defined as those with an active and organised defence, which would likely respond decisively if you really set up camp to rest for 8 hours. These include Cloakwood Mines, Sendai's Enclave, Iron Throne HQ etc... but not Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep. Basically characters should think about resource management and properly preparing before attempting to storm a significant enemy stronghold.
6) Realistic pre-buffing
No short-term buffs unless the characters (not player) can reasonable expect to be facing combat shortly. Long term protections like Stoneskin and Contingencies will be prepared at the start of the day.
7) No cheesy tactics
For example no initiating a mage battle and then running away until enemy protections time-out. No casting Webs/cc or stacking traps using knowledge of where enemies will spawn. No pulling individuals from a group of enemies one at a time.
8) No slings
Slings require a lot of training to use effectively and are unwieldy in any confined spaces. As such I find it odd that they are the go-to sidearm for most warriors and mages, and can even be equipped with shields! Thus none of my characters will ever use slings.

Introducing Jin

For the first twenty years of his life, Jin has enjoyed a peaceful and somewhat sheltered existence safe within the walls of the fortress library of Candlekeep, rarely venturing beyond its comfort and safety, and always under the careful protection of his adoptive father, Gorion.

Jin has no memories of his birth-parents, nor life outside the Sword Coast, but he has always been aware that he was outsider to the Sword Coast, and indeed even Faerun. Gorion has always seemed reluctant to talk about Jin's heritage, often becoming agitated when Jin pressed the issue, but from what he can gather from numerous brief conversations, Jin's parents were Shou merchants who were waylaid by bandits and murdered on the highway between Beregost and Baldur's Gate.

Gorion adopted Jin when he was but a toddler and raised him up in Candlekeep as his own son. Though Jin has never had reason to doubt Gorion's love for him, the old man never imparted any of his considerable arcane knowledge to his foster son, warning that magic was dangerous and ought to be avoided. Instead for his fourteenth birthday, Gorion gave Jin the ornate Shou sword named Yi Tian Jian, or Heaven Reliant Sword in the common tongue. It supposedly belonged to Jin's birth father and has been a treasured heirloom of the Sima family for generations.

For two years Gorion hired a Shou swordmaster to teach Jin the martial art of Shou swordsmanship, as well as the basic language, culture and philosophy of his ancestral home. As such Jin has become a competent, albeit inexperienced, swordsman, preferring to fight without armour as taught by his master, and rely on speed and accuracy to overcome stronger and better armoured foes. Of course, thus far, it has all been theory, and Jin has never had to draw his blade in anger to defend himself.

Intended Party
I say intended, because permanent death is a possibility. But if everything goes well, then the core party should be:
BG1: Jin, Imoen, Neera, Khalid, Jaheira and KivanBranwen/Yeslick.
BG2: Jin, Imoen/Yoshi, Neera, Aerie, Keldorn and Anomen.

Mods
BG1: BG1NPC Project and Jin's custom sword.
BG2: Jin's custom sword.

Jin starts as a Kensai, and so his sword, named the Heaven Reliant, is pretty integral to his character and plot. I will create 3 versions of the sword and give them to Jin at the start of BG1, SoA and ToB. They are designed to be competitive and viable for each part of the game, but not overpowered compared to existing weapons in the game. The BG 1 version is basically a Long Sword +2 that also provides a +1 AC bonus.

I was partly motivated to create this custom item to avoid the temptation of trying to cheese my way to Drizzt's scimitars and also avoid being forced to use a katana in BG2, where the Heaven Reliant will replace the Celestial Fury.

I haven't created the SoA and ToB versions of the Heaven Reliant yet, but the intention is to add the Celestial Fury's abilities for SoA and improving it to +3. For ToB I will probably improve it to a +5 weapon.

RP-wise the weapon's improvements will be explained as Jin learning to unlock the weapon's power as he gains experience and faces ever more deadly foes.

Writing Style

This may evolve with time, but the plan is to primarily tell the story from Jin's perspective in the form of his diary entries each time the party rests, especially in a safe location like a tavern.

Post edited by Heindrich on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Ravenslight‌ and @kcwise‌ thx for the support. :)

My gameplay is significantly ahead of my write-up updates (more coming soon) and I have reached a bit of a decision point, and would welcome suggestions/advice to help me make up my mind.

I have just emerged from the Nashkel Mines with Imoen, Neera, Khalid, Jaheira and Branwen.

I had intended to use Branwen on a temporary basis because I am using BG1NPC, and I wanted to see her content up until Tranzig. However, I won't lie, I have been struggling with the playthrough a bit more than I anticipated (already on reload 5 or 6!), and I am reluctant to compromise on my personal challenge rules listed above.

So... I had planned to switch Branwen for Kivan, and sure Kivan would certainly add much needed extra firepower, but the encounter with Nimbul reminded me just how devastating (and prevalent) Horror is in BG1, and how valuable clerical support can be. Without Branwen, I have no idea how to deal with this common spell so many enemy mages are going to throw at me...

I don't want to dual-class Imoen and I don't want Neera to be casting anything on the party even if I find a Resist Fear scroll for her.

I have completed BG1 before with the canon party, and thus no cleric spells, but I had no personal rules or reload restrictions before, so the lack of Remove Fear, Chant, Protection from Evil etc didn't feel quite as daunting as now.

So shall I just stick with Branwen (and maybe switch for Yeslick later) or can you suggest tactics (given party composition) for dealing with enemy cc spells?
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’ve never played a game where I wasn’t allowing myself to use the mage spell resist fear if I didn’t have a cleric, so I’m not sure how I can be helpful there. Are you concerned that Neera may cast a fireball on the party instead? (Grins) Always a possibility with Neera. I am a big fan of Yeslick, so I like your idea there.