Skip to content

The Tales of Sima Jin - Min. Reload RP driven playthrough.

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Congratulations!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The adventure continues! Also, Heaven Reliant is a nifty blade. :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Heindrich, my, you've been quite prolific in your writing the past couple of weeks. I'm really enjoying reading your run. I even started munching peanuts while reading these last few entries, as though watching a movie. Very entertaining - thank you.

I like your style of putting Jin's journal entries in italics, with the OOC explanations in regular print. As always, I enjoy the way you wrap your story around the game events and mechanics.

I've never done any of Beamdog's additions yet, so it was interesting to see you have the same reaction that a lot of the early players had, that the new battles are quite hard, perhaps even too much so for the level at which they logically should occur. I hope it doesn't force you to alter your plans to use Neera throughout the game. Do you have to win that battle to get her back into the party?

Also, I was wondering if that Nahal's Reckless Dweomer teleportation actually happened in your defeat against Ithafeer, or was that just creative storytelling?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    @BelgarathMTH I'm glad you're enjoying it. Thanks. :smile:

I have always interpreted what happens in the game fairly loosely rather than worry about everything on a literal basis. So...

1) Neera leaving the party before the De'Arnise Keep was just part of my standard rotation policy, to make way for Nalia, I did it in my first playthrough as well, if you remember. I think I rotated Anomen on that occasion and said that he was recovering from injuries or something.

2) Neera's quest line comes in several stages. The first stage is easy and is the only thing you need to do to recruit her. The second stage is where I hit the brick wall, but Neera does not complain if you delay it until much later.

3) The wild surge teleport was just my creative explanation for how my party managed to escape from that dire situation. (Where in fact it's because the AI allows your entire group to withdraw as a whole when one of them reaches the door, and in this case, the Rakshasa do not even pursue you outside.) A Wild Mage is rather convenient for plot purposes. :smiley:
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Day 29, 30 Mirtul, 1369

Having recuperated from our ordeal in the Planar Prison, we resumed our investigation into the Cult of Unseeing Eye. Given our failure to discover the hidden base we knew to be somewhere in beneath the sewers, we decided to find the cult the only way anyone seems to have been able to- by joining it. Pretending to be swayed by the fiery sermon of Gaal, we mingled with a crowd of converts and followed him into the sewers. As expected, he led us to a hidden door that we had missed, perhaps protected by magic, which revealed an ancient tunnel complex that extended far beneath the city.

The size and sophistication of the cult went far beyond what we had expected. Instead of a band of desperate fanatics, we found a well-organised secret society, complete with hundreds of soldiers, administrators and cultists. What made the spectacle all the more disturbing was the fact that everyone in the cult was blind, with their eyes cut out as part of the initiation ceremony, and yet they could still see, as Gaal promised.

As the newest recruits were led to an altar besides a giant pit for the initiation ceremony, I feared that we'd have to break cover and try to fight our way out from the heart of cultist complex, to avoid having our eyes cut out. However, a potentially desperate breakout was avoided when Gaal recognised Keldorn and Anomen, and demanded an explanation for the presence of two distinguished knights of the Order of the Radiant Heart among his converts. Just when it seemed battle would be unavoidable, Gaal offered an alternative. We were to prove our faith by retrieving an artifact from a lost temple in service to their god, in return for the opportunity to be honoured with an audience with "the living god".

Of course we jumped at the opportunity to avoid a bloodbath and getting to the truth of the cult, though it did trouble us that we being sent on an errand so dangerous that not even their "god" could do it alone. As it happened, there was a reason for that. The artifact the cult sought was an ancient weapon called a Rift Device, so devastatingly powerful that it was hidden by the gods of ages past in a secret temple of Amaunator far underground and protected by deadly traps and ageless wards that were impenetrable to creatures of darkness, including Beholders. The Unseeing Eye, we would come to learn, was in fact a particularly ancient and powerful member of the most vile and evil of races.

The creature had likely formed the cult specifically to use its members to retrieve the artifact, for what nefarious purpose, we shall never know. It likely knew of our deceit and saw past our flimsy disguise as converts, but hoped to use our capabilities to obtain the Rift Device where his other followers had failed. What the monster did not know was that an avatar of the long-dead Sun God remained within his forgotten temple, and once we were able to summon him, he warned us of the Unseeing Eye's nature and intention. In exchange for our promise to return the Rift Device, its powers much dimished by the passage of a millennium, the avatar permitted us to borrow the weapon for one final purpose, to destroy the Unseeing Eye.

Reaching the monster to deploy the device was no easy task. Within his inner sanctum we faced his most fanatical human clerics, as well as lessers of his kin, each whom were deadly monsters in their own right. Both Aerie and Neera required urgent healing after being hit by the lethal barrage of Harm spells the Beholders unleashed.

Somehow, with our escape cut off, we persevered and pressed onwards, and found the Unseeing Eye in the heart of his lair, an enormous Beholder, far larger and more vile than any we had faced before. It seemed amused at our presence, though it is difficult to gauge the expression of a floating eyeball monster. We did not wait for a villain's exposition in the face of such a powerful and terrible foe. I unleashed the power of the Rift Device immediately, a column of purifying flame erupted from the rod and engulfed the Beholder, incinerating it in a hideous death scream.

With their "god" vanquished and their "vision" removed, chaos and panic erupted among the cultists above, allowing us to easily sneak out of the lair in the confusion, and quickly return with a coalition of soldiers from the Temple of Helm and the Order. Some of the cultists resisted arrest at the cost of their lives, some managed to flee into the darkness, but the majority were apprehended to be held accountable for any crimes they may have committed in servitude to the Unseeing Eye.

High Watcher Oisig thanked us for our efforts in eliminating the deviant cult, and although he was unable to secure Imoen's release from his contacts among the Cowled Wizards, he was able to get us a meeting with a high-up among them, a man by the name of Tolgerias, I believe. It is start I suppose, and I dearly hope it will lead us to Imoen soon.