Skip to content

BG II ee or planescape torment

Going to buy a game later today and I cant decide which (I will eventually buy both).

Played BG2 about 20 times and LOVE it.

Planesape I started playing and it was the weirdest/best gaming experience I've had. For some reason I just played 2 or 3 lvl ups, so it's kind of new......so what should I do......

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Considering that, in my opinion, BGII:EE is not as good as the original BG2, I would say Planescape Torment.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited October 2014
    If you loved BG2 Vanilla, you will love BG2:EE. I had a great time with my first playthrough of BG2 Vanilla last year, but I disagree with @Erg‌ and feel that BG2:EE is an improvement on the classic.

I can't comment on PST cos I never got properly into it as I found the setting kinda weird.
    lunar
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I definitely think that BG2:EE was an improvement over the original game, but the question is how much enjoyment it will give someone who has played the original BG2 so many times.

I'd say go with Planescape Torment. While I don't think it's the best game ever, it's still pretty great, but it's also a VERY unique experience. There is basically no game quite like it (until Tides of Numenera comes out, that is).
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Erg said:

Considering that, in my opinion, BGII:EE is not as good as the original BG2, I would say Planescape Torment.

Why?

FYI: I've never played BGII:EE
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    OP: I loved both games. If you go for PS:T, give yourself a good WIS.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Klorox said:

Why?

Because

1) being flashier is not an enhancement
    2) adding subpar new content is not an enhancement
    3) removing bugs just to add more bugs is not an enhancement
    4) decreased compatibility with mods is not an enhancement

I could go on and on, but that should give you an idea :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm going to go with Planescape since from the sounds of things you've played it a lot less. Its certainly weird but weird in a fun way.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2014
    I would say bg2:ee. Planescape is great but not quite a game, rather an interactive book with good story/characters. It stirs the imagination, true. But, alas, when you finish it, there is little incentive to play it again, because most of the combat is dull. IMHO bg2 offers more fun. You can create any character you want, take any npc you want, go do any quest you want in what order you want. Plus with mods like scs it offers a very long playing time and replayability. Technically, bg2:ee is worlds better, too. Flashier graphics, cleaner interface, better resolution etc.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    P:T hands down. Best IE game.

Graphics? lol, Torment had the best graphics up until like IWD2. Just compare how spells look like.
    Replayability? Played a few times, and each time found new things and secrets I had no idea about.
    It is shorter though, but the quality is over the top.

BG2 is yet still under Fallout and BG1, definitely under P:T. Even though it gave me like 2000 hours of gameplay :P
    DJKajuru
  • GuboGubo Member Posts: 75
    PS:T is my favorite. Love the setting, protagonist, and npcs I take with me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I would still choose BG2EE. You love this game and it can be played again and again. I've never regretted buying it although I had the vanilla BG2.

Try new NPCs and quests they bring, try new kits. Even if you play BG2EE without touching the new content you'll still spend 100+ hours in this game. Compared to the vanilla BG2 it would still feel better because of improved ggraphics, the detailed information in the inventory screen, the Quick Loot feature.
    lunar
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I just started BG2....PS:T is on the radar though, remember it (the few hrs I played) as an amazing experience.
    Thanks for input =)
    JuliusBorisovErgHeindrichelminster