Skip to content

A Storied Playthrough: Sahil, Quick full trilogy run, full reload, Role Play.

Always wanted to do one of these and since I have the week off I started one. Anything I do in the game will be in the story with some liberties taken regarding dialog or battles. I will be skipping a lot of content as a challenge. Each area will have it's own post. Enjoy.
~

Prologue - Candlekeep

She sat in her study, reading an old tome filled with ballads by bards. It was one of her favourite subjects to read, those adventures and battles against beasts or those triumphs over evil men and their cunning plans.

It was the only escape from the dusty halls of Candlekeep where she resided. Her foster father, Gorion, wouldn’t let her wander outside the gates even though she had come of age. He was always protective of her, however lately, he has been acting strangely, on edge as if something was weighing on his mind. He seemed to be preparing for a journey, gathering supplies and coins, yet where he is going and how long he will be gone he wouldn’t tell her.

She thinks of this for a moment and realizes he doesn’t trust her. Why else would he keep secrets from her? It may have to do with Imoen the only other girl her age in Candlekeep. The two of them grew up together and were best friends, however Imoen tended to get into a little bit more trouble than her. She was always going through noble’s stuff, not to steal but to find out interesting tidbits about the visitors to the keep. More often than not, she gets caught doing it and would have to weasel her way out of the extra chores that got assigned to her because of this behaviour. Still she shared everything with Imoen and she might let slip the wrong information to her who in turn may offer it to the wrong noble or lord.

The girl looked out the window and sighed. Adventure – she craved it. She was thinking of ways to ask Gorion to take her with him on his trip. She wanted to explore the world. To traverse the great forests and sea sides. It was one thing to read about them in a book, it was quite another to actually experience it firsthand.
There was a light tap on her door and she spun towards the sound wondering who interrupted her daydreaming. One of her mentors Karim slowly opened the door.

“Sahil?” he said.

“Aye,” she replied.

“Sorry to interrupt your studying, but Gorion is looking for you. He is waiting at the steps of the Library. I believe you should go quickly to see him.”

“Is there something the matter?” she asked.

“At the moment, no,” he replied. “But try not to tarry.”

She closed the book and nodded her head walking past her mentor into the grand halls of the library. Monks and priest of Oghma were scuttling about, collecting tomes from patrons to put back into the massive shelves that lined the walls. None paid attention to her as she wandered down the staircase to the first level of the giant keep that acted as a wealth of knowledge for the realms.

She made her way to the giant doors that led to the outside world and pushed them open. The doors moved easily for their size, part of the magic that runs through Candlekeep. Outside, an older man waited with bags and a staff.

“Ah my child, I have finally found you,” Gorion said to his foster daughter.

“You asked to see me father?” she asked.

“That I did. We need to leave Candlekeep immediately. I know this is a little unnerving but you must trust me. I want you to find Jondalar, he has procured some armour for you for this journey. Take this gold and buy some supplies from the inn and temple. Don’t tarry. We need to leave within the hour, so say all your goodbyes, we won’t be returning for a while.”

“Where are we going?”

“I cannot say for I have not truly decided yet. All that is certain is that we will be far safer on the move. Perhaps secluded in the woods or amidst the throngs of people in Baldur’s Gate,” her father replied. “I do not know where we shall end up, but I have a few friends here and there that can aid us.”

“Safer on the move?” she asked “This place is a fortress what can harm us here, or more importantly what will harm us here.”

“Candlekeep is indeed formidable but it is not insurmountable. What will harm us, I will explain in due time. For now, please gather what you need for a long journey. I will try to explain the details later.”

“Ok father,” she said and walked down the steps to the garden in the front. The flowers were finally coming into bloom and she quickly admired their beauty. She walked through the inner grounds front gate, and searched out Jondalar. Reevor, a surly dwarf and the keeps groundkeeper found her first.

“I thought I asked you to clean the rats out of the warehouse yesterday?” he snapped. “Hop to it!”

“But Gor-“

“No buts missy. Get in there!” And he pushed her towards the door. She thought there was no harm in finishing some of her chores first, and this one was fairly easy.

She looked around and saw a couple of rats scurry across the floor. On the barrel sat a cat. “Now why Mr. Skuffington do I have to do your job?” she mused towards the cat. “Get the rats come on.”
The cat tilted his head and jumped down from the barrel and chased one of rats into a corner. Pouncing, it caught in its mouth and crunched down hard. Triumphantly, it returned to Sahil with the dead mouse in its mouth and placed it at her feet.

“Ha good job Mr. Skuffington!” she said to the cat, “quick there goes another!” and pointed the furry rodent running out from a wood pile. The cat leaped at it, missing. Sahil laughed.

“Almost,” she said. “But I guess I can help.” She picked up a quarterstaff that was set against a wall and rattled some boxes. When a rat ran away from his shaking hiding spot she quickly whapped it over the head. In all, she and the cat killed ten giant rats and a couple of smaller ones.

“It looks like you are eating well tonight Mr. Skuffington,” she said to the cat as she gently petted its head while it purred. “I have to leave now, I guess I will–” she stopped midsentence. “I guess I won’t see you tomorrow. I guess this is actually goodbye.”

The cat looked up at her not really understanding, or caring, however, it did stop purring. “Try to keep the rats out of here for Reevor’s sake. The poor dwarf will have a heart attack if you let the grain get eaten.”
The cat meowed, she gave a slight laugh and headed out of the warehouse.

“Done?” Reevor asked.

“Aye.”

“Here’s five gold pieces then, try not to spend it all in one place,” he replied and waddled off without waiting for a reply.

She sighed. The old dwarf wouldn’t even let her say goodbye. It might be a good thing. If he knew she was leaving he’d probably attempt to squeeze in as much free labour as possible and she had more important things she needed to concentrate on like finding Jondalar.

Luck would have it, Jondalar would find her first.

“Sahil!” a familiar voice rang out behind her as she spun to greet her weapons trainer. “Your father had a strange request and asked me to get this for you.”

The man holds out some leather armour. It smells fresh, as if it just came from the tanner. Studded spikes jut from chest plate with matching boots and gauntlets. “This is the safest thing to travel in these days as iron being scarce and all,” he said. “Anything with more iron will likely attract more attention than you want. Go ahead try it on.”

Sahil takes the armour and fastens the clasps around her body. It fit perfectly as if it was made for her. “What do you know of my journey Jondalar?”

“Not a lot I must confess. Only that your father asked me to get this made for you about a fortnight ago,” he replied. “I didn’t ask questions, as he didn’t seem to be in the mood to answer them.”

“Aye,” she said. “I know that all too well. Thank you for the armour.”

“Are you ready to try it out?” he quizzed.

“Now?”

“One last lesson,” he answered. “And I am going to spring a surprise on you this time. See if you can hit me. Ready?”

Sahil nodded and gripped her quarterstaff tightly. Jondalar raised his hand and then lept back as Sahil took a swing. An arrow whizzed by her head. She turned to see Erik, one of the wall archers firing arrows at her. She was shocked. It was a surprise as another landed near her feet. She looked up and saw Jondalar barreling down on her with his staff. She raised hers to block it and pushed him away as another arrow flew high over her head. She grimaced as she butted the end of quarterstaff square in Jondalar’s chest. He let an “ouf” then raised his hand. Erik stopped firing and Sahil went back into her ready position.

“You did good kid, especially after Erik started firing those arrows at ya,” Jondalar said rubbing his chest. “I’m sure your father would be proud. Good luck in your voyage.”

Sahil nodded. “I’ll miss you. Thank you again for everything.”

“Now excuse me,” he said. “Erik, can you help me to the infirmary, she got me good.”

Erik laughed and walked over to Jondalar and carried him away. Sahil was stronger than she looked. Jondalar knew that. She was surprised he wasn’t wearing armour in such a highly combative lesson.

She gripped her staff and looked around. The outer courtyard was bare, only a handful of guards patrolled around, majority of them suspicious of her. There were only a few that truly trusted her here. And she was going to say goodbye to them before she ventured off. Her father owed her that much she surmised.

She cut back through the inner court past the chanters. “The lord of murder shall perish…” they sang. It was beautiful and haunting at the same time. She’s grown use to hearing it and doesn’t pay much attention to it. She figures this will probably be the last time she hears those words uttered. They cling to her memory though as it sings back, “but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage.”

She quickens her pace to get away from the voices and heads towards the inn. She pushes the door open. A gruff man looks from behind a desk and bellows, “Well, hello, young one! Come to visit your old pal Winthrop, have ye?”
She looks at the pudgy man and smiles as he continues, “Well, don’t forget the 10, 000 gold piece book entrance fee, as per Candlekeep’s custom, don’tcha know.”

Sahil laughs. “You always were the big kidder, Wintrop. That gets funnier very nearly every time I hear it,” she said. “Well, perhaps not quite so often.”

“Haw! Just having a bit o’ fun with ye, my friend. Them monks may be walking about with poles in their nethers, but you know you are always welcome here in my sight,” he said.

“Thanks Winthrop, but this is actually goodbye,” she replied.

“Goodbye?” he mused. I guess not everyone knew she was leaving the keep as the man was genuinely surprised. “What do you mean goodbye?”

“Gorion and I are leaving,” she said. “Soon, and I don’t know when we are going to be back.”

“Well I knew this day would come eventually,” the inn keeper replied revealing he knew more than he was letting on. He realized Sahil caught onto this and quickly changed the subject. Have you said goodbye to Fuller yet?”

“No.”

“Good mind doing me one last favour and delivering these bolts to him?” he asked. “I got high paying nobles in the next room and I don’t want lose their patronage by stepping out. And I have no idea where Imoen is. Care to help?”

“Sure no problem,” she replied. “He’s in the bunkhouse I suppose.”

“Aye, I believe so. If I don’t see you again, take care of yourself and be safe.”

“Thanks Winthrop. I will.”

She grabbed the bundle of bolts from the counter and headed to the door. She thought she must hurry as Gorion has been waiting for a bit now. A few more goodbyes surely wouldn’t hurt and she does have to deliver these bolts to Fuller.

She walks past the Barracks to the bunkhouse. It’s part of the guards quarters. Those who are off duty usually reside there and Fuller is captain of the night’s watch. He’s caught her and Imoen sneaking around at night once too many times, however he is a good man and usually lets them go with a warning. She needed to say goodbye to him.

She pushed the door open to the bunkhouse. It was dark, darker than usual. She called out “Fuller?” She didn’t hear a sound until a man approached her from the far corner.

“’Ere there. You’re Gorion’s little whelp, aren’t ya?” the strange man asked and before waiting for a reply “yeah, you match the description. You don’t look so dangerous to me.”

Sahil was taken aback. She had never seen this man before, yet she knew of Gorion. He didn’t look like a noble or a mage, those who routinely visit the keep on business. He smelled of the stables and he held a dagger in his right hand.

“And what business is that of yours?” she asked cautiously gripping her staff and readying herself.

“I’ll make it my business if’n I please,” he man retorted. “Just thought I’d have me a look at you for myself, before I puts a blade down your gullet! Someone seems to think you’re trouble, so I’m gonna use your head for a ticket out o’ the gutter!”

The man lunges at Sahil. She easily parries his attack and steps back swinging her staff at her assailant. He ducks as he thrusts the blade towards her again. It glances off her new armour as he stumbles. She raises her staff high and knocks him over the head with a loud thwack.

He falls, his head bounces off the hard floor and then thumps back down again. Blood pours from his ears and nose. He isn’t moving. Sahil panics and heads for the door. The man’s last words caught in her head. Someone wanted her killed. Gorion is right to think that it is no longer safe here in Candlekeep. She feels flustered and out of breath.

Karan notices her being disoriented and walks over. “I heard shouting, Sahil! Are you all right?”

“He’s… He’s dead, whoever he was. He lunged at me with a knife,” she replied. “Oh, Karan, what is happening to this place?”

“It’s not this place, child. It’s you they’re after,” he replied. “Oh, Sahil, I have been your tutor for so many years and only in this moment have I come to doubt my teaching have been good enough. Go to Gorion, child. It is safe for you here no longer.”

Sahil nodded, and trudged towards the library. She felt a prick in her pocket and reached in. The bolts! She almost forgot. She ran towards the barracks, the only other place Fuller would be and walked in. There were always armed guards in the barracks and no one would attempt to attack her there.

She saw Fuller sitting at the table looking over pieces of parchment. She called out. “Fuller!”
“Ugh, not so loud,” the guard said. “What a mead-filled night. That Hull is just too much. Poor sap had to go man the gate this morning, too. I don’t know how he does it… What can I do for you, anyways?”

Sahil reached into her pocket and handed over the bolts. “Winthrop asked me to deliver these to you.”

“Thanks kid,” he said taking the bolts. “I hear you might be leaving this place soon.”

“I am leaving now actually,” she replied “Gorion is waiting for me. I just came to say goodbye.”
Fuller looks up and lets out a sigh, “Watch your back out there, okay? Here.” He reaches down to his belt and removes a dagger from a sheath and hands it to her.

“Let me give you this dagger,” he continued. “My father killed a hobgoblin with it once, many years ago. Stabbed him right in the back, he did. It ain’t no broadsword, but it’ll do in a pinch.”

“Are you sure Fuller?” she asked reluctantly taking the dagger.

“Aye, I’m sure. Now take care of yourself. Thanks for the bolts.”

Sahil smiled and nodded and headed for the door. Gorion must be getting worried so she headed back to the steps to see her foster father. She walked through the inner gate to be greeted by her friend Imoen.

“Hey ya,” her best friend called out while walking over. “I’m surprised that stuffy ol’ Gorion let you away from your studies and chores. That ol’ fiddle faddle, I snuck off too.”

“I know, Winthrop was looking for you. I had to run an errand for him,” Sahil replied.

“Old Puffguts Winthrop was looking for me?” she quizzed, “but I got all day to do his chores. You have time for a story today? No, I can tell you don’t. What have ya been up to?”

Sahil sighed. “I’m afraid I cannot talk to today,” she answered her friend. “My foster father wishes me to prepare for a journey, but will not say to where.”

“A journey, eh? I never get to travel. Wish I could go with ya. Yep, I really wish I could. Yes ma’am. Really do.”

Sahil could tell Imoen was stalling. “All right, all right. I get the message. I’ll ask if you can go with us.”

“Oh don’t be silly,” Imoen replied. “Gorion would never even let you finish the sentence. Especially after what that letter of his said… er did I say that? No, of course I didn’t. Never saw no letter. Nope. I’ll just get back to work now. You better go. Gorion is waiting.”

“Wait, what letter?” Sahil asked.

“Exactly!” Imoen said as she dashed out the gate.

Sahil sighed again. It seemed everyone knew more about this journey than she did but there was no use pestering people about it. She needed to go. The assassin in the bunkhouse made that obviously clear. She walked up to her foster father.

“I am ready to go right now,” she said.

“Good,” the old man said and grabbed the bags from the steps. His pace quickened as he descended. Sahil followed.

“Listen carefully,” he continued. “If we ever become separated, it is imperative that you make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn. There, you will meet Khalid and Jaheira. They have long been my friends, and you can trust them.”

Sahil nodded as she kept pace with her father. They reached the gates. Hull, the guard’s man, half drunk, opened it for the duo. They quickly stepped out and the large doors closed behind them. It was the first time she had ever been on this side of the wall. She breathed in the air and felt excited and nervous at the same time.

Gorion looked at her. “Let’s hurry, child! The night can only get worse, so we must find shelter soon,” he said still striding along. “Don’t worry, I will explain everything as soon as there is time.”

The two dashed into the bush, avoiding the road towards the keep. It was getting dark and a voice echoed in her head: “Chaos will be sown from their passage.”

She picked up her pace. Adventure finally awaited.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Wow, you're really going the whole nine yards with the writing! You have a prologue or a first chapter to a novel here. I've never seen anybody before write up a playthrough so thoroughly, complete with correct form and dialogue.

I look forward to seeing how you handle your first combat scene.

You're going to have hundreds of pages by the end if you keep it going true to form like this. If you write it, I'll enjoy reading it. :)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Well done, Sir, a nice sense of foreboding tone and excellent pacing. As everyone else has said, more, please!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    “I wonder what ring they were talking about,” Imoen quizzed.

“Probably just some bauble,” replied Sahil. “If it existed at all.”
    Nice!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @bengoshi , I was about to say that! You ninja'd me. :)

This is fantastic work!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Excellent instalment once again! I actually didn't like Sahil's killing of that wolf, but I do like how it played out here...
    What a great way to offer the location of Bassilus. As a bard Garrick would likely keep track of the local gossip and stories. Nice!
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    I second kcwise's statement above. As a bard, Garrick can be a very useful storytelling device to propel the plot and you've used him nicely. I also enjoyed the conversations between Khalid and Jaheira regarding the iron crisis, it's a very nice way to introduce the political issue threatening the Sword Coast to the reader without being obvious about it.
    Just to be annoying, the one little quibble that somewhat jarred with me in this installment was one line of Jaheira's regarding Bassilus: "It is, he must be real dangerous"...it's probably just me, but the "real dangerous" part rang a little false to me coming out of Jaheira's mouth, she seems much more formal and rigid than that in her normal speech, both in game and in your telling of it, not using more relaxed and informal language and for me, it just threw me off for an instant... well, I had to nitpick somewhere, right? Otherwise I'll just keep repeating how good this all is! ;-)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Will we have a Halloween chapter? :D
    edited October 2014
    Hide behind the chainsaws!

A Halloween chapter would be cool. Which reminds me, would any of the scary movie villains stand much of a chance in the Realms? Sure, low level commoners would be fodder for them, but try to attack a party of moderate level and bye bye machete wielding maniac. :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    bengoshi said:

Will we have a Halloween chapter? :D

Probably not. This is an actual play through. Everything I am writing is happening in the game right down to the to hit rolls.

If you meant am I going to write a chapter on Halloween it is probably not. Have a lot to do that day.

The only movie villain that would stand a chance is Freddy since he kills people while they dream.