Skip to content

An attempted novelization of a BG1 playthrough

BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
edited November 2014 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Hi everyone, in this thread I will share with you my attempt at a novelization of a playthrough of BG1 and hopefully the entire trilogy.

My initial approach was to tell the events through various different characters, including Sarevok, Jessa Vai, Nimbul, Duke Eltan and many of the joinable NPCs, giving each of them more or less the same amount of "screentime". It meant lots of creative freedom for me, but when I read in various sources that such an approach tends to complicate character development and readers' identification with the characters, I decided to reduce the scope of my writing. My focus will be on Sarevok and protagonist, and I'll include brief intervals in which other characters will appear in the foreground. In limiting the size and the frequency per support character of these intervals, I hope to be able to give more depth to the main characters, while at the same time giving some breadth to the story. (Unfortunately this new approach means that plenty of pages I already wrote aren't going to be published, though I might use parts of them somewhere along the way).

The story should speak for itself though I may have to make one clarification. Both in the actual game and in the story charname is a Half-Elf Lorekeeper of Oghma/Mage, and he'll wield longswords and daggers (I'm using mods for that). Oghma's favored weapon is 'Mortal Strike', a longsword, and Lorekeepers can wield it as a spiritual weapon, so it didn't make much sense to me to restrict charname to using hammers or maces.

CHAPTER 1

"At least give us some time to prepare," spoke one old wizard to another. His voice was calm, but his frown and his half-closed eyes, as if they were staring at the sun, spoke another language, and so did his fingertips that were tapping the long mahogany table that he and his company were sat at.

"You just don’t get it, do you Gorion? Listen, it’s very simple, but I’ll repeat it for you. The boy goes tomorrow, before sunset at the latest. Either you take him with you, or I’ll have the Watchers throw him out. I’ve already instructed them!" bellowed the other wizard in reply. The speaker’s imperious voice filled the spacious conference room and beyond, for it echoed through the marble hall of the majestic library’s top floor. He knew his word was law within the walls of Candlekeep, the citadel of learning. After all, he was Ulraunt, the Keeper of its tomes. Yet there he sat, needlessly tense, with his thin lips tightened, his dark brows drawn together in an ireful frown, and clenched fists sticking out of the sleeves of his snow white mage robe. And to make things worse, he had just raised his voice.

"Now Ulraunt, do you not think you’re being overly severe with Gorion and his whelp?" asked a third figure, a priest dressed in a carnelian soutane that matched his rosy cheeks. It was the erudite Mystran cleric Tethtoril, the library’s First Reader and as such Candlekeep’s second in command after Ulraunt. He was aged and grey as the others but not nearly as worked up, and he looked at them with gentle sapphire eyes that stood out like beacons of calm. When he saw that both wizards had regained their composures, he continued in a soothing voice. "Let us be patient, and careful in our judgment. The lot of banishment for reasons beyond the youngster’s comprehension would be a cruel one. Remember that he’s just a stripling."

"He’s a young man of twenty, hardly a stripling" answered Ulraunt, calmer but still eager to seize the opportunity to debilitate his more indulgent right hand’s argument.

"I know that Ulraunt, but I also know that years can be a problematic unit of measurement," replied the priest, stroking his beard contemplatively. "Should we not keep in mind that Elven blood runs through the boy’s veins? Gorion’s ward is no grown man yet. And leaving aside the matter of the boy’s maturity, I should like to add that I've found Ánhaga to be an upstanding child. He has been my student for the past few months now, and he has shown himself to be a humble sort: polite, dutiful, and helpful to others. And I’m not speaking merely on my own behalf. You could ask others here in Candlekeep as well. Why should we rush to expel the boy?"

"The others are ignorant Tethtoril, and your judgment is clouded," Ulraunt brazenly retorted, this time in a lower, colder voice. The Keeper’s hostility caused Teththoril to briefly raise his bushy grey eyebrows in astonishment. "You have taken a liking to the boy because he’s your student, and now you fail to discern what kind of individual you’re dealing with. Not that it matters though. Remember that you have no voice in this affair. As the Keeper of the Tomes of these halls it is my responsibility to keep the citadel safe and to prevent the outside world from absorbing us in their affairs. Twenty years ago Gorion and the boy were allowed shelter within these walls, but there was a condition, and I’m positive that Gorion hasn’t forgotten about it."

Both Ulraunt and Tethtoril now looked questioningly at Gorion, and waited for him to speak up once again for his foster son. But seeing how even venerable Tethtoril failed to change Ulraunt’s mind, the old sage gave up the fight. "Everything there is to say in my ward’s defense has already been said. And everything the lad could have done to be accepted in Candlekeep, he has done. Apparently it’s not enough." With weary eyes that made him look aged beyond his years he considered the unmoved Keeper, and then lowered his head in resignation. "Of course I remember your condition, Keeper, and I shall adhere to it."

When he had first arrived at the gates of Candlekeep with his ward in his arms, an infant at the time, he was informed that the child would be welcome in Candlekeep until his coming of age. When this would be exactly, was never specified, but it was indisputable to Gorion that his beloved foster son was no longer a child (even if Tethtoril had a point in saying the boy hadn’t fully matured yet). What had first offended and later worried him though, was the fact that he was given barely a day’s notice. It told him that the Keeper of the Tomes was hiding something from him. He wondered what Ulraunt had alluded to with his preventing 'the outside world from absorbing us in their affairs'. Could it be something to do with the boy’s lineage? The three had carefully avoided the matter thus far. The question was on the tip of his tongue, but he knew Ulraunt well enough to realize it would be no use pressuring the unbending Keeper for information.

"Well then," continued Ulraunt, relieved to end the strained conversation sooner than expected, "I am glad we have been able to settle this matter in a manner that befits us gentlemen."

Not in the mood for small talk or exchanging vacant pleasantries with Ulraunt, Gorion got up from his heavy chair. He thanked Teththoril with a faint smile for attempting to buy him some time, and bade Ulraunt goodbye with only the slightest of nods. As he walked off he kept a slow but firm tread not on the plush carmine carpet but alongside it, making sure his footsteps continued to resonate until he would reach the stairs. He did so in the dim hope that his old friend Ulraunt would change his mind and call him back, if only to give him some longed-for respite; another day or two would be enough. However, when he reached the stairs and turned around, he glimpsed the Keeper of the Tomes entering his private turret chamber and closing the door behind him.

As he entered his austere private cell he stopped in front of a small framed mirror on the wall. How many times had he walked past that mirror without ever looking in it, really looking in it? "Twenty years have gone by and without noticing it you’ve become an old man. Your grey hair has gone white, your beard is even whiter, and your face shriveled," he spoke softly to his own image. "Twenty years in which you came to believe, foolishly, that your Ánhaga would find acceptance in Candlekeep and elude the fate that is now upon him. But the past doesn’t matter now. We shall leave tomorrow morning and once we’re on the road I shall finally tell Ánhaga everything he needs to know. It is high time," resolved the wizard.

He sat down on the unadorned wooden chair by his desk. It was late but he had to write an important letter and to pack some of his belongings before he could rest.

Post edited by Blackraven on

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    That's some impressive work. I can only really tell a story this good if it's an original one, but you've really made this your own.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Your best work, and that's something.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah, that's good. Very dramatic.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Nimran, you're a wise (wo)man. Have you published any of your short stories online?