Skip to content

The Loki concept

Yesterday I was watching (again) Thor the Dark World...Iove Loki so I was wondering what kind of char can suit him better in the BG saga...mainly mage I suppose, but quite competent in mele with staff or daggers.

Your suggestions? I want to start a full run with him!

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Neutral Evil Human Illusionist?
    Contemplative_Hamster
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Either what @shawne said, or something like Thief/Mage. Either a multiclass, or a dual class (he was up to mischief even before he had learned to cast spells. An Assassin or Swashbuckler would be in order.)

...or perhaps a Blade.
    Tougher than a mage? Check. Spellcasting? Check. Silver tongue (charming)? A bard - check!.
    JuliusBorisovrufus_hobartCrevsDaak
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2014
    Thief/Mage (Could be dual or multi), or Assassin/Mage. Bard could work as well but he's not so Bard-like.

In 3E (Deities and Demigods), he's a Chaotic Evil Rogue/Sorcerer (in 3E, Sorcerers are Charisma-based).
    Post edited by Archaos on
    SouthpawSpungi
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I like Blade. A Blade with a spear actually sounds pretty cool.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    thief/mage multi class I say
    CrevsDaak
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    CrevsDaak said:

Just be sure to pick Polymorph Self and the Belt of Gender-change, otherwise you won't be able to give Sleipnir to Odin :p

(if anyone gets the joke I'd be rather surprised).

I got it.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    We're a bunch of geeks and nerds - 99% of everyone here will get it. It's not exactly obscure knowledge.
    KamigoroshiSouthpaw
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We should ask @Thor‌ about it...
    Nimran
  • sffrrromsffrrrom Member Posts: 60
    This is genius, Fregasega, and I hope you don't mind if I steal it. I'm a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

As for his class, seems like he needs to be at least part illusionist. That's definitely his emphasis in the movies, he casts them effortlessly.

He also, iirc, fights with a spear/staff and dual daggers in the movies.

Seems like thief/illusionist multi would fit him perfectly. Only problem is that, again iirc, that's limited to gnomes, and Loki should be either elf or human I guess, depending on what you think Asgardians should be.

Think I could create him as a gnome and then fix his race and sprite via shadowkeeper though.

Think I will just do BGII though. Have a hard time rp'ing him as a pipsqueak smushing spiders. Plus the discontinuity from I to II with NPC carryover, esp. evil NPCs, bugs me.

Now, what NPC's to bring. Loki is a pretty complex character - sometimes he's a good guy and sometimes bad. His party should probably be similarly complex, so I don't think anyone is off the table.

(Except Cernd. No one likes Cernd.)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Are we talking Loki of mythology, or Loki of Marvel Comics?

Loki of Mythology would be a sorcerer, maybe some rogue levels. Marvel is a 3 part dual, 2 F, 9 T, 16 Illusionist. Gods don't have to follow the rules.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Yep agree with the Mage/thief or Blade
    Marvel, for me at least, specifically cinematic Marvel (which is frequently different).

Although sorcerer makes more sense in how the magic systems translate (innate vs. study based like wizards) I know you can't multiclass sorcerers and I don't think the limited spell selections would work as well thematically anyway.

I'm stuck on whether I will be taking along any NPCs. I think I won't, at least not with any intention of retaining them permanently. Might take some along for some betrayals, personal quests or party conflicts. But I might change my mind - Dorn's questline in particular would be a neat rp opportunity I suppose.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Illusion is about the most versatile magic available, its a very good area for a Sorcerer to specialize.
    I guess I could dual to Sorcerer, but thematically in D&D that seems to me like you end one career and start a new one, whereas Loki is more multiclass. Plus, mechanically, if I play mostly solo seems like I would benefit more from multi.

I am concerned about my thac0 though. Can a multi thief/illusionist (or a thief -> sorc dual) hit anything for most of SoA and ToB? Or do I have to go F/M/T to hit? Esp. concerned about backstabs.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    sffrrrom said:

I am concerned about my thac0 though. Can a multi thief/illusionist (or a thief -> sorc dual) hit anything for most of SoA and ToB? Or do I have to go F/M/T to hit? Esp. concerned about backstabs.

Tensers Transformation works wonders.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I want to change my answer to elven Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Tenser's Transformation > Hide > Backstab with Impaler +3 > Dead as hell enemy

Turning invisible and murdering people from behind is very much Loki's bag.