Skip to content

Nimran's Story

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Short one today, I know, but not a lot really happens with the others at this point in the story. Their stories get told later.
    I didn't actually finish the previous update before posting it. I edited the post. Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.
    All I can say about the sudden lack of daily updates is this: mobile networks suck.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The Breaking of the Fellowship!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Phew! I'm finally all caught up again. ^_^

Some thoughts, which you're free to ignore or consider:

[spoiler=Spoilered for those not caught up yet...]
    -I was really surprised when Starlen came out and confessed to everyone else that she and Kaiser were half-demons. I would have thought she'd keep something like that secret, especially to a bunch of strangers without her brother's permission. I'd liked to have seen that tension drawn out a little bit longer.

-Brian and Jem were so quiet throughout the whole thing, I almost thought they weren't even with the group anymore. As far as Jem's concerned, well... We all know why he was all hush-hush. But I expected more out of Brian, especially with Starlen's, Kaisers, and especially Ronan's ancestry. He seems to not be as well-developed as the rest of the cast, simply there to have funny one-liners about vanquishing evil and all that. Which, I love funny one-liners about vanquishing evil as much as the next gal, but no one is that one-dimensional.

-You kinda shined a big spotlight on Jem, so his betrayal wasn't a big surprise, nor do I think it was supposed to be. But I did not expect him to kill Garm, or that Ronan would be a demon as well, and I really enjoyed that twist. Of everyone in the cast, Ronan and Starlen are my favorite characters so far.

-I find it really disbelieving that the Ebon Sun guys would be so incompetent as to play a game of cards with their backs turned so the rest of the party could get away. I mean I've heard of lame-o guards before, but gimme a break.

-Your fight scenes are all really detailed, and I love it.[/spoiler]

Keep it up!! :smiley:
    edited March 2015
    Ooh, feedback!
    @Nonnahswriter some interesting points here.

-This will be addressed in the next chapter, and will serve to further develop Starlen's character.

-At this point in the story, Brian's development as a character is wrapped up in big SPOILER tape. I can say that we've only just begun to delve into the main characters' backgrounds and developments, and there is more to come.

-It was meant to be obvious, yes. The real surprise was supposed to be the teeny tiny fact that he was not just any bad guy, but a harbinger, though that may have been spoiled by the stranger's conversation with Kaiser at his old home. Ronan's true nature being discovered as well is one of my favorite moments in the story, and I hope that I had conveyed that moment well enough to show it. As for Garm's surprise and death, it was meant to show how well Jem could blend into human society, as well as how quickly and ruthlessly he could turn on his 'friends' if he felt the need to. He had Garm fooled until the very end, and when his cover was blown he reacted as I felt an assassin would.

-I must admit, minor characters aren't a strength of mine, and those guards weren't meant to be the best that their organization could spare for the job. Brutus had already failed once; his superiors may not have deemed him worthy of leading their best men.

-Thank you. I try really hard to make battles interesting, especially when the characters are driven by their emotions. The battle between Jemeniah and Kaiser, for instance, was meant to convey how Kaiser's emotions at watching his sister get hurt had caused him to forget his trepidation at the thought of fighting a harbinger. He shook away all of his fears and threw himself at Jem, and Jem was caught off-guard by that.

The last update ended Chapter 2: Tangled Trees, Tangled Hearts. Onward to Chapter 3!
    Post edited by Nimran on
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Nimran said:

Ooh, feedback!
    @Nonnahswriter some interesting points here.

-This will be addressed in the next chapter, and will serve to further develop Starlen's character.

-At this point in the story, Brian's development as a character is wrapped up in big SPOILER tape. I can say that we've only just begun to delve into the main characters' backgrounds and developments, and there is more to come.

-It was meant to be obvious, yes. The real surprise was supposed to be the teeny tiny fact that he was not just any bad guy, but a harbinger, though that may have been spoiled by the stranger's conversation with Kaiser at his old home. Ronan's true nature being discovered as well is one of my favorite moments in the story, and I hope that I had conveyed that moment well enough to show it. As for Garm's surprise and death, it was meant to show how well Jem could blend into human society, as well as how quickly and ruthlessly he could turn on his 'friends' if he felt the need to. He had Garm fooled until the very end, and when his cover was blown he reacted as I felt an assassin would.

-I must admit, minor characters aren't a strength of mine, and those guards weren't meant to be the best that their organization could spare for the job. Brutus had already failed once; his superiors may not have deemed him worthy of leading their best men.

-Thank you. I try really hard to make battles interesting, especially when the characters are driven by their emotions. The battle between Jemeniah and Kaiser, for instance, was meant to convey how Kaiser's emotions at watching his sister get hurt had caused him to forget his trepidation at the thought of fighting a harbinger. He shook away all of his fears and threw himself at Jem, and Jem was caught off-guard by that.

The last update ended Chapter 2: Tangled Trees, Tangled Hearts. Onward to Chapter 3!
    Looking forward to it! ^_^
    edited June 2015
    The town of Bellepoint was quiet when Starlen and her companions walked through the gate. The sun had just started to rise over the treeline behind them, and they were relieved to feel its warm, comforting touch on their backs. So much had happened during the previous night that the adventurers were ready to collapse, despite the time of day.

They made their way to the Journeyman's Respite and opened the door. Mandon was standing behind the bar, filling mugs of ale and passing them out to a few patrons. He smiled when he saw his two adopted children, and he waved them over. "Welcome back, kids!" he said cheerfully. "Ye look like ye had a hard day of adventurin'. Come, have a seat and I'll be right wit' ye." Kaiser pointed the group toward a table near the entrance, and they walked over and slumped down into the chairs surrounding it.

Velani looked at Kaiser and said "Well, I know I'm not going anywhere until I've had some rest. How about you?" Kaiser shrugged and replied "I suppose we can stay a while, for your sake." "Oh, come on!" Velani protested. "You can't honestly tell me that you're not tired! You almost got your arse kicked by some scrawny guy back there." Kaiser shook his head. "That 'scrawny guy' is a demon," he said. "Demons are far from weak, no matter their form." "So, since you're only half demon, you're only half as good?" she asked. Kaiser stared at her, making her feel slightly uncomfortable, then asked "How do you know about that?"

Starlen spoke hesitantly, saying "I...may have told the others when you left." Kaiser turned his head toward her and asked "You told all of them?" Starlen shifted uncomfortably beneath his gaze and answered "Y-yes." Kaiser closed his eye and sighed deeply in an attempt to vent his rising frustration. When he looked at her again, he asked "And you thought it was a good idea, because...?" Starlen gulped as she stared back at her brother. She couldn't help but feel at least a little afraid, despite knowing that Kaiser would never hurt her. He still terrified her whenever he was angry with her, as he usually scolded her terribly. This time was no different.

"What were you thinking?" he asked, his voice turning harsh and forceful. "Did you even think once about the potential consequences of what you were saying?" Starlen struggled to form a response. "I didn't-"

"No, you didn't!" Kaiser interrupted her. "You just told them without considering the possibility that they could have viewed you as a monster! They could have killed you!" Velani tried to say something in Starlen's defense, but Kaiser glared at her as she opened her mouth, and she closed it. He then sighed again and said "It was hardly a wise decision, and it could have cost you your life. These others are hardly trustworthy. I understood when you told Mandon and Landin, since they were friends, but these people are not. I wasn't there to protect you from them-"

"No you weren't!" Starlen suddenly shouted. "You never are! You're always leaving so that you can escape from reality by clinging to the past!" Kaiser's eye widened when Starlen interrupted him. She sighed after they had stared at each other for a while, and said "I'm sorry. I know it's important to you." Kaiser shook his head. "No," he said. "You're right. I should never have gone back. This is our home now." He reached into his coat and pulled out the spearhead that he had found on the ground near their old home. Starlen's eyes grew wide when she saw it. "That's-" she started to say, but she cut herself off, as she couldn't bear to finish her sentence. Kaiser looked down at the spearhead for a moment, then held it out toward Starlen. "Do what you want with it," he told her.

Tears started to form in Starlen's eyes as she reached for the spearhead. When she wrapped her hand around it, she closed her eyes and shuddered, trying not to cry. Kaiser left it inside of her hand and said "You can remember her now, if by nothing else, then by this." She opened her eyes again and stood, then ran around the table and wrapped her arms around him in a long hug. Kaiser returned her embrace, both of them so filled with emotion that they couldn't speak.

Velani looked around awkwardly, and she soon decided to leave them alone. She stood and walked back toward the bar just as a man came in from outside. She glanced at the man, then was forced to look again more closely. The man standing in the doorway looked nearly exactly like Kaiser, minus the facial scarring. He wore a suit of black chain mail and black trousers, and a long black leather coat that was open in the front.The only other visible differences were the two swords strapped across his back instead of a black-bladed halberd.

The man ignored her as he walked toward the bar, and he sat down on an empty stool. He then looked around slowly, taking in his new surroundings. When his eyes fell upon the two siblings in the corner, who had just released each other from their hug, he sneered and stood back up, his hands reaching for his swords. Velani immediately ran back to the others and said "We've got trouble." Kaiser and Starlen looked toward the man, and their expressions clearly reflected their surprise at seeing him. "Looks like I found you first," the man spoke in a deep, raspy voice. "Good."
    Post edited by Nimran on
    Kaiser couldn't believe what, or rather who he was seeing. Standing in front of him was a man who he had not expected to see again since ten years ago. He stared at his brother and shook his head slowly. "Kain," he spoke softly, still not fully registering the sight. The man grinned wickedly at him, savoring the look of shock on his face. "I'm not interested in a family reunion just yet," Kain said. "But the next time our paths cross, you and your little princess are dead."

He spat on the ground near Kaiser's feet and walked away, taking a seat at the bar. Kaiser and Starlen both stared at him, while Velani looked on, once again feeling like a third wheel. After a while, Starlen shook her head and asked "What in the hells did he call me?!" "We should go," said Kaiser, but Starlen snorted and asked "Why? Because the runt in our family came over and threatened us in our home? Seriously, who does he think he is?" "Calm down," Kaiser told her. "We don't want to make a scene here."

After a moment, Starlen sighed and said "Yeah, you're right. Still, if he thinks he can take both of us in a fight, then he's as stupid as he is short!" "Er, Starlen?" Velani asked. "He's just as tall as you are." "That doesn't make him any less of a runt!" Starlen snapped at her. "He used to be shorter then I was, by the way!" "It doesn't matter," Kaiser interjected, trying to keep them quiet. Kain snorted derisively at the bar, and Starlen glared at him from the table, seemingly eager to start the fight that he had threatened them with.

Mandon walked out from the kitchen and strode toward the companions' table with their drinks. As he set them down upon the table, he looked at Starlen and asked "What're ye so mad about now, girl?" Velani chuckled and asked him "She does this often, I take it?" "Aye," Mandon replied with a nod. "She's had quite the temper since the day I met her. I'm hoping that she'll be learning some patience while she's on this trip of yours. Otherwise, she'll be throwing out all of our guests and driving me out of business." He grinned at Starlen to let her know that he was only joking, and Starlen smiled back at him. While she was still angry, she couldn't keep from smiling whenever Mandon tried to cheer her up.

Kain left sometime later without saying another word to either of them, and they ordered two rooms and rested until some time after midday. After getting their rest, they departed, Kaiser and Starlen saying their goodbyes to the people who had been their friends and mentor's for so many years. They exited the town through the west gate and started along the road leading west. After they had gone some distance from the town, Velani looked at her two companions with a wide grin. Kaiser eventually looked back at her and asked "What?" "You guys have had a pretty great childhood, huh?" Kaiser stared at her for a long while, then said "No." "That's not what I just saw," Velani said as they walked. Kaiser's expression softened, and he said "It wasn't all happy rainbows and sunshine, you know."

Velani nodded with a knowing smile and said "Wasn't all rain clouds and sadness either." Starlen laughed and said "Don't mind Mr. Negative, he can be a real downer sometimes." "I can tell," Velani replied. "Makes me want to hug him just to get him to smile." "Maybe you should," Starlen said cheerfully. "I could also tell you where he's ticklish, if you want." Velani snickered and said "I think he'd just murder me if I tried that." "Damn straight," Kaiser responded, his face turning red. Starlen tilted her head and said "Kaiser, I think you're blushing." "I am not!" Kaiser replied forcefully.

Starlen and Velani both laughed.
    Emerin's group ran down yet another corridor. The building didn't seem so large from the outside, but most of it was made up of long, narrow hallways that twisted and turned to form a maze that seemed to continue on for miles. They had encountered no further resistance from guards once the entrance had been cleared, but they kept running into dead ends afterward, which further added to their exhaustion and frustration.

After running for a long while, Miria stopped and said "Wait...let me...catch my breath." The others stopped when they noticed her, and Ronan said sarcastically "What a surprise." Miria shot another glare at him as she started to breathe deeply. Emerin, who was also tired of running, nodded and said "Alright, we'll take a break." Ronan smirked at him and said "You're just as bad as she is. Thankfully, Brian isn't so easily worn out, right Brian?" He looked over at Brian, who said "Just a bit farther, friends! We must continue without delay!"

Miria shook her head, saying "I'm not a buff, crazy guy like you, Brian." "If you can't keep running," Brian said. "Then I'll carry you!" "I don't think I-" Miria started to say, but she yelped instead when Brian picked her up and slung her over his right shoulder, then started running with her kicking and squirming on his back. Ronan burst into laughter as they went by, and Emerin slapped a hand over his face, then both of them followed after Brian and Miria, running as quickly as they could in an effort to keep up.

They were all relieved when they finally found the exit from the maze some time later. "Put me down!" Miria shouted to Brian, who replied "Okay!" as he threw her off of his back and onto the floor. Miria cried out again when she hit the floor, and she stumbled to her feet just as Emerin and Ronan caught up to them. "Man," she said as she rubbed her aching back. "What kind of jerk just manhandles a lady like that?" "The funny kind," said Ronan.

Emerin sighed for what felt like the hundredth time since he had met Ronan. He then looked around at the new chamber that they were in. It was as sparsely decorated as the empty maze of corridors, though several scratches along the floor suggested that something was moved out of it, perhaps recently. He followed the scratch marks, and they led him toward the room's other doorway set within the far wall.

"This looks suspicious," he said as he examined the door. "Maybe Brian should charge through heroically," Ronan said mockingly, though Brian had other plans. He pulled off the right gauntlet of Garm's old armor and reached inside of his sleeve, pulling out a small circular object with a clear surface. He then held the object in front of his eye and started to examine the door. After a while, he said "All clear," and with a swift and hard kick, he knocked the door down. "Knock knock!" He yelled, and a man's voice called out from within the room, saying "Who are you?!" Brian yanked his hammer off of his back and shouted "I'M A SODDING HERO, YOU VILLAINOUS SCUM!" He charged into the room with a loud roar, and Emerin and Ronan followed him in.
    edited April 2015
    There were three men in the room, and all of them met Brian's charge, but Emerin and Ronan soon joined the fight. The combatants each focused on a different enemy. Brian swung his hammer mightily, and his opponent dodged to the left and slashed at Brian with his sword. Brian brought up his right arm, and the metal plate covering his forearm deflected the sword and bounced it back to his right. He then swung once more with his hammer, bringing it back to his right and slamming it into his opponent's forearm, shattering the bones inside with a loud crack. The man dropped his sword and stumbled back, his face a mask of pain as he gripped his injured arm with his left hand. Brian charged after him, and another swing of his hammer collided with the man's head, bursting through his skull as he dropped to the floor.

Ronan laughed as he danced circles around his opponent, who was swinging wildly in an attempt to keep up with his fast and fluid steps and spins. He easily ducked beneath a high horizontal swing, responding with a spinning kick to his opponent's midsection. The guard nearly doubled over from the impact, but Ronan wasn't finished, and his other foot leaped up to slam into the guard's head, throwing it back upward. The guard stumbled backward, and Ronan took advantage of his flailing by thrusting the palm of his right hand into the man's chest with a loud thud. The man flew backward into the wall and slumped to the floor, as he had died instantly when Ronan's hand had burst his heart. "No sense in holding back now," Ronan muttered as he shook his wrist, releasing the tension in his arm.

Emerin dodged his opponent's initial downward slash and thrust his own sword forward. The guard managed to bring his sword back in time to parry the strike, but he did not realize that Emerin had been casting a spell as he moved, and Emerin's sword erupted with electrical energy, sending jolts down the guard's arm and nearly causing him to drop his sword. He had to grip his weapon with both hands to prevent it from falling from his grasp, and Emerin took advantage of his fumbling by reciting another arcane phrase. He threw his offhand forward with his fingers outspread, and a fan of bright orange fire leaped from his fingertips. The guard yelped and fell over onto his back as he tried to get away, but Emerin's sword plunged down after him. The man shrieked as the sword pierced his armor to sever his spine, then stopped screaming as he died.

The three men who survived looked around to determine whether the fight was finished, then rejoined with each other in the center of the room. "That was easy," Ronan said. "If this is the best they have, then they might as well stab themselves for us." "Don't say things like that when we're still far from finished," replied Emerin, who was still glancing toward the room's entrance. After a while, he asked "Where's Miria?" "Probably still catching her breath," Ronan said.

A sudden loud boom from the outside hallway caused them all to jump in alarm. "Sounds like a magic fight," Brian said as he lifted his hammer and strode confidently toward the doorway. "Miria must be fighting something!" Emerin said, and he rushed after Brian. Ronan smirked and said sarcastically "Sure, just go back the way we came from. That'll take us closer to our goal." He then followed the other two outside.
    Post edited by Nimran on
    edited April 2015
    "Shit!" Miria shouted as the fireball's blast barely missed her. She was lucky to dodge when she did, as the bright orange ball soared just over her head to impact the wall behind her. The others rushed out of the room when they heard the resulting explosion to find that she was not alone any longer.

Standing near the end of the hall on the other side of the doorway was a tall, lean man wearing a flowing black robe with an elaborate gold trim that outlined the hem and sleeves. His long black hair seemed to melt into his robe, and a pair of red eyes shone from beneath his long bangs. His lips were curled into a wicked smile as he regarded the adventurers. "Well," he spoke in a smooth, silky voice. "My guards certainly didn't last long against you, did they? Not surprising, given that they were merely human, but they served their purpose. I am now ready to face you myself."

"Are you the one responsible for the attack on Bellepoint?" Emerin asked. The man nodded and said "Yes, I am he. My name is Azzar, priest of the Lucent Mask." Ronan spat upon the ground when he heard that name. "Demon worshipers," he said disgustedly. "As though that would actually make the afterlife a better place for these fools. You know, you all end up the same, regardless of your misplaced devotion." Azzar shrugged and said "It is no matter. We all die, and we all suffer in death. Why waste your life giving thanks to gods that don't truly care?" He looked at Ronan and continued, saying "You are a curious one, aren't you, demon? Despite being a denizen of the dark realms, you refuse to expand it. Why?"

Ronan merely shrugged and asked "Why not? I like the change of scenery, and people are amusing when they're not screaming in eternal agony. Most of my kind are satisfied with the suffering of their enemies, but I've lived long enough in the hells to want something different." "So you seek amusement?" Azzar asked. "I see. You live for excitement, so you choose the most difficult path for a challenge. That is why you turned against your kind, to fight a losing battle in a mad attempt to find enjoyment." Ronan laughed and said "Sure, but there's one thing you got wrong: I never lose a battle, nor do I fight a losing battle. When I join a cause, then I make sure it wins, and it wins every time."

Emerin stared at Ronan. The demon was being sincere, at least as far as he could tell, though admittedly he knew very little about demons or how to tell if they were lying. He just had to trust that Ronan was being truthful. He turned back to Azzar, and a thought occurred to him. "Your name," he said. "It sounds Malkian. You come from the east?" Azzar smiled wider and nodded, saying "Yes, just like you, Emerin." That caused Emerin to take a step back. "How did you know my name?" he asked. "I've known about you since the first time you stepped inside of this forest. Your presence DOES invoke some curiosity, I must admit. It's not often when an exiled prince comes to a small town in search of a new life."

Emerin's face turned pale, and his voice trembled as he said "Well, you certainly know a great deal." Azzar nodded again and said "Indeed, but the time for talking is over. I must finish you quickly so that you do not become an annoyance later on. I am sorry, Emerin, but your destiny has run its course."
    Post edited by Nimran on
    Updates are getting longer and trickier to finish now. They might be taking more than a day to finish, but I still work on this constantly. Sorry for the delays.
    edited May 2015
    "I wonder if they're doing alright," Starlen muttered to herself as she and her two companions continued along the west road. She could not contain her worry for the people who had accepted her in spite of what she was, and the others saw it clearly on her face. "Don't worry," Velani told her, trying to cheer her up. "It's likely that they're already finished and on their way back to town by now." Starlen gave her a weak smile and said "Doubtful, especially with that...thing with them."

Velani frowned and said "You know, you're halfway like him, as far as heritage goes." "Except that I have a human side," Starlen replied angrily. "A side that keeps the impulses under control. It has nothing but those base desires, and it doesn't care who it hurts when it fulfills them." She spat out each of the pronouns as if to emphasize her disdain for Ronan. "That's what defines a demon; pure selfishness without care for what goes on around it." Velani looked downward and muttered to herself "Sounds like several humans I know."

Kaiser, who had been leading them as they trekked down the road, suddenly stopped and held his right hand up to signal the two women to do the same. They stopped just before they reached him, and he turned his head slightly to regard them and said "We have company. Prepare for a fight." He looked to his right, toward a cluster of bushes, and pulled his halberd off of his back. "You know," Velani said. "The things you can do continue to impress me." Kaiser's brow furrowed at her statement, and he turned his head back toward her. "It's not that impressive," he said as he turned back to the bushes.

Suddenly, the sound of rustling leaves erupted from the bushes, followed by a young woman with pure white hair wearing a dark brown shirt and trousers riddled with bulging pockets that were nearly bursting at the seams, and a pair of long black gloves that covered her arms up to her short sleeves. She looked around frantically for a few moments, her eyes never leaving the ground. When she finally noticed the group, she looked up at them and frowned. "Hey," she said to them with a strong, but calm voice. "You three haven't seen a small blue marble-like thing, have you?" She looked over each of them, but her eyes went wide when she looked at Kaiser. "What happened to you?!" she blurted out, likely without thinking.

Kaiser glared at her for a moment, and she frowned back at him, but after a while she shook her head. "No, hold on, you're someone else. Weird, you look a lot like someone I know, but uglier." Kaiser's glare intensified, but the young woman paid no more attention to him, instead going back to her search. "Well," she said. "If you're not going to help, then stay out of my way. I have better things to do than stand around and stare at people." She looked around some more, then started walking back toward the bush, her eyes fixed upon the ground as she walked.

"Um," Starlen said as she stepped forward. "You might want to watch where you're going." The young woman looked up again and stared at her for a short while before saying "Why's that? I won't find a marble in the air, now will I?" "You might run into something, though," Starlen replied. "You could get hurt." The young woman shrugged, then said "That's okay, as long as I find that animate core. Those things are hard to build from scratch, so each one is precious." The three adventurers looked at her for a moment before Starlen asked "What's an animate core?"

The young woman frowned and said "Nothing you need to worry about. It looks like a blue marble, and I'm looking for it. That's as much of an explanation as I can give you without losing you completely. No offense." "Hold on," Velani said suddenly. "You're one of the mages from Ryllas, aren't you?" The young woman smiled and replied "Yep, that's me. Well, I'm only one of them, but yeah, I'm from the college of animators, first class." "And that means...?" Starlen asked. "It means that she's a mage that specializes in building and animating objects, such as golems and prosthetics," Kaiser said. "My own hand was animated by one when he passed through Bellepoint."

"I thought you made it," Starlen said. "I did," Kaiser answered. "But it required an animation spell to work properly. Otherwise, it wouldn't move and would just be dead weight. I can only do so much with simple smithing." The young woman perked up when she heard about his hand. "Ooh," she said excitedly, her eyes starting to shine with curiosity. "You have a golem hand? Let me see!" She walked up to him and tried to grab his hand, but he pulled it away as she reached for it, saying "Don't try that again!"

The young woman pouted for a moment, but quickly regained her composure. "Well," she said, looking at Kaiser's artificial hand intently. "It looks like one of my cores is inside of it. I saw my signature on it." She looked up at Kaiser's face and asked "You said some guy gave it to you? You came from Bellepoint, right?" After a while, she snapped her fingers and shouted "Of course! You're the lonely young man who saved my partner that one time!" She scratched her head and looked back down at Kaiser's hand. After another moment of silence, she said "Yep, looks like a simple single-cell core. Not bad, but not that special either, and a little worn out from years of use. You could use a new one." She snapped her fingers again and said "Tell you what, we could both use some back-scratching. You help me find my missing core, and I'll get you a better one for your fancy hand, deal?"

"No," Kaiser replied. Starlen and Velani both looked at him in surprise, and he said "We don't know you, stranger. Why would we possibly agree to help you?" "You don't know me?" The young woman asked, surprised. "That's a nice change of pace." She held out her right hand and said "Name's Jett. I teach at the college, the youngest graduate and professor in the college's history." Velani gasped when she introduced herself, but Kaiser and Starlen merely looked at her curiously, which made her laugh. "It really is refreshing to meet someone who doesn't treat me like I'm some kind of celebrity," she said.

"I'm sorry," Starlen said as she stepped forward, drawing Jett's attention to her. "What does that mean, exactly?" "It means that I'm smart," Jett replied. "Smarter than most of the other students who graduated from my class." "'Smart' is an understatement," Velani interrupted. "This lady's a legend in Ryllas! She practically invented the core technology that is being used in animation today. It revolutionized the way in which magic was used, essentially turning it into an energy source for more than just spells. Because of her, magic now plays an important part in every single person in Ryllas' life every day."

Jett shook her head and said "I just acted on what I studied, though it still took me almost a decade to finish." "Almost a decade?" Starlen asked. "How old are you?" "I'm twenty-eight, but I had started working on the cores when I was fifteen. A little young, I know, but I had a personal stake in the experiment. I lost my right arm when I was little, and I always felt depressed every morning when I woke up afterwards. Eventually, I got tired of feeling that way about myself, so I dedicated my life to discovering a method for replacing lost limbs using many different animation spell combinations and a few self-made artificial arms. The biggest problem was providing an energy source that would work indefinitely, since magic is, by its very nature, limited by a lack of sustained energy output, but I worked out that if a spell is provided with a solid supporting apparatus and-uh, never mind. It's complicated, and a full explanation would likely take forever."

"Sounds interesting," said Starlen. Kaiser sighed and said "Look, we don't have much time to waste. How much farther is Ryllas?" "It isn't far," Jett answered. "In fact, it's right over there." She pointed in the direction where the group was heading, toward a large shadowy mass in the distance. "Where?" Starlen asked, her head tilted with curiosity. Velani chuckled and said "Well, Starlen, that large mass in front of us is our destination, of course." Starlen's eyes widened, and she asked "That's a city? I've never actually seen one before. Are they all that big?" Velani shrugged and said "It depends on a lot of different things. Ryllas is the center of our kingdom's research into mystical and magical affairs, so it's understandably quite large." "Onward, then," Kaiser said, trying to hide his own surprise at the size of the town. He knew that he wasn't as aware of the full extent of human society as he should have been, but seeing a town as large as Ryllas made him feel somewhat insecure. He suddenly no longer felt like leading the group.

An idea suddenly formed in Starlen's head, and she said to Jett "Hey, if we help you find this core of yours, would you serve as our guide when we enter the city?" Jett smiled and nodded her head, and Starlen smiled back. "Alright!" she said cheerfully. "Let's look around!" Kaiser looked at her and sighed. While he was in a hurry, he had no intention of arguing with his sister, especially since he agreed that a guide would be useful. Jett smirked and said "Not that I expect much from you, one-eyed guy." Kaiser gave her the nastiest scowl that he could manage, which caused her to laugh nervously.
    Post edited by Nimran on