Skip to content

Other than CHARNAME, who would have been the best heir to the Throne of Bhaal?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
Sup fools!

Simple question. Lots of interesting choices, really enjoyed many of the Bhaalspawn characters. Was thinking of this the other day. Please give an explanation if you so choose!
  1. Other than CHARNAME, who would have been the best heir to the Throne of Bhaal?64 votes
    1. Illasera the Quick
        1.56%
    2. Yaga Shura
        1.56%
    3. Sendai
        1.56%
    4. Abazigal
        3.13%
    5. Balthazar
      23.44%
    6. Gromnir Il-Khan
        1.56%
    7. Imoen
      12.50%
    8. Sarevok
      39.06%
    9. Viekang
        1.56%
    10. Someone else (like that random dude Sarevok kills in the opening movie, or the chinchilla... thing)
      14.06%

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

I love Imoen and Sarevok, but I think that Balthazar has the right temperament to do the right thing when faced with that level of power.

Also, I can call him Bhaalthazar.

@elminster Wasn't Balthasar under the delusion he would destroy the taint, no one being able to ascend?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

I love Imoen and Sarevok, but I think that Balthazar has the right temperament to do the right thing when faced with that level of power.

@elminster Wasn't Balthasar under the delusion he would destroy the taint, no one being able to ascend?
    Sounds about right
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    It depends a bit on how you look at it.

The best heir in terms of representing, managing and perhaps even strengthening Bhaal's portfolio could indeed be Sarevok, given his track record as an intelligent, calculating, eager and ruthless murderer. However, I wonder, what do we know of the murderous achievements of the Five before they meet Charname? In BG1 we learn a lot about Sarevok and his schemes and actions, but I for one lack the same knowledge of the Five, which may well be the result of not having played ToB in two years.

The best heir for the good people that walk the realms would probably be Balthasar. Balthasar is a Shaolin-style master. On the one hand he's shown leadership, he fights like a champion, and he is willing to kill an LG Paladin charname, making him sufficiently powerful and commanding to manage the portfolio it seems. On the other hand he also knows discipline and restraint, which suggests he would only endorse 'justifiable murder', and not chaotic slaughter for the sake of it (which Sarevok seems more willing to propagate). I can see him be the preferred Lord of Murder for many people in the realms.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@FinneousPJ‌
    That's exactly what I mean by "doing the right thing".

Bhaalthazar, being a monk, has the discipline to overcome the temptation to accept the power from his heritage and destroy it.

I like Sarevok, too, since he was such a cool character. I think @BelgarathMTH‌ said it best about him.

Imoen, if she accepted the power, would be absolutely hilarous. Imagine a lord of murder with pink hair :D
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Balthazar close second. I loved that guy. Great antagonist.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    well I would say Balthazar, i dont know why but I really like this guy, very charismatic, reminds me a little bit Irenicus sometimes...

But, Sarevok rocks too, he is a pure product of Bhaal, and I think he would have been a very good pretender
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @booinyoureyes‌ Well, I kind of meant that to be a heir to Bhaal (a Bhaalthazar if you will) you have to accept the taint. Balthazar seems like he wouldn't.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I'd vote for Noober if he was a bhaalspawn, but I'll go with...that nameless halfling in Saradush who wants you to leave him alone.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@booinyoureyes‌ Well, I kind of meant that to be a heir to Bhaal (a Bhaalthazar if you will) you have to accept the taint. Balthazar seems like he wouldn't.

@FinneousPJ‌ ah. That is not what I was going for in my post at all! I meant who would be "The One" (last Bhaalspawn standing, or one of a few). Beating Melissan is what I essentially mean.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    So i know that strictly said Irenicus is not a Bhaalspawn. But think about it! He managed to use the Bhaal essence without being a Bhaalspawn himself! If he were not bound with the developers, he would have managed to reach godhood. After this do you think, that he let it go (no pun intended) for an other gnat? Or maybe i just should have vote for Sarevok.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The biggest key to success seems to be 'keep a really, really low profile', followed very closely by 'hang around with powerful folks'.

I see charname as being more of a 'squeek by', which was key to his success. Lots of enemies blatantly underestimate you, including Sarevok, Irenicus, the 5, and many others. The Shadow Thieves certainly aren't too frightened by you, nor are most folks. Chsrname imho was probably not that special for an adventuring Bhaalspawn, until Irenicus worked on him.

Probably whichever Bhaalspawn was captured by Irenicus was going to have the best shot, but we know Irenicus wanted someone not too dangerous to grab, ie none of the 5, who probably were an adventuring group at some point. They must have done something to get to epic level range, annoying we find out basicly nothing in ToB about their pasts.

I like Sarevok, but until he died, he was just this side of Xzar level crazy, so he would have had a tough time. So, I tend to go with Sarevok, but no decision quite yet.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    SionIV said:

Hmm. All of that said, I'm kind of baffled as to why Sarevok insisted on making a scene of killing Liia and Belt. Could he not have slit their throats in the night and replaced them with Doppelgangers as well? Granted, they're pretty tough, but killing them would surely be easier when they're not surrounded by Flaming Fist and in range to support each other. I feel like that was his ego running away with him, honestly. Just doesn't make a lot of sense in comparison to his other plans.

Because there had already been rumors about doppelgangers, and there would be no way to link it back to him. I got the idea that the plan was for him to kill them after Belt and Liia had died, saving the day.
    For whose benefit, though? The Flaming Fist? They're the only non-cronies left in the room, and they were all too easily corrupted by the existing chain of command. There's literally no one left to impress at that point.