Skip to content

Deaths in novels (spoilers?)

kinghunter74kinghunter74 Member Posts: 27
hi,
i have a question about the resurrection spell. I'm wondering if it's considered canon in the lore as I hardly see them used in the novels.

Mind you, I've only been reading the Drizzt novels but it seems to me that there are a lot of instance where a cleric was around but everyone just accepts that a character died and did nothing. (Innovindil, Bruenor etc)

As Jaheira said, "We live in an age of miracles"
So, is the spell just not canon or am i suppose to believe that all the clerics in the novel are below LV9?

What are your opinions on the matter? =P

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2014
    It is canon. Salvatore does not treat it as canon. In canon, it would only be available to epic-level priests as they would have to have enough power to break through a deity's own power to retrieve the soul of the dead.

Edit: Basically saying that not every random priest in a temple is bringing people back from the dead. It would be very very rare.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    One last note: Interestingly, AD&D 1st Edition actually didn't have much in the way of penalties for casting raise dead or resurrection. 2nd added those, 3rd also had drawbacks (like loss of a level for the raised character), and 4th penalized combat rolls for a short time. 2nd Edition seems to have been the worst time to die and be raised!
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    I've always made my own mini rule that one character can only have Raise Dead and Ressurection casted on them once (or just Ressurection if they're an elf etc.). Plus, it depends if your deity grants you the power to revive that person and how long the body has been dead.

Probably not real lore right there but seems to work for me xD
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I'm sometimes perplexed by the use of the term 'canon' so, having checked the definitions on both sides of the Atlantic it seems that:
    Canon is understood to be a "general rule or law" applicable in certain situations. Such situations can be governed for example by a "collection of sacred books".
    Thus an author could have his or her own canon but at the same time be writing within the canon of a specific genre.
    In the case of BG whilst the settings and characters can be attributed to an author and therefore subject to the author's canon it is also subject to the D&D canon as well as the fantasy canon.
    The question is which canon (if any particular one) take precedence.

In my experience of fantasy reading it generally seems that resurrection has a profound effect, of one form or another, on the recipient and comes at a cost to the one doing the resurrecting, so that, I think would be the fantasy canon.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited October 2014
    One thing that video games get wrong (for obvious reasons) is spell components.

In 3.5 the caster needed 10, 000 gp worth of diamonds to cast resurrection.

For raise dead, it was 5000 gp worth but the recipient only had mere days (equal to the caster's level) to get the spell cast in them.

edit: zeros are hard.
  • kinghunter74kinghunter74 Member Posts: 27
    so basically, the wand of resurrection in TOB is total BS

that would mean bringing Rasaad back to life 10 times in a row is actually something of a miracle XD

Anyways, thanks for the clarification.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421

so basically, the wand of resurrection in TOB is total BS.

Think of it more like an awesome artifact of awesomeness of such power that the gods themselves would be envious of it. If it were pnp, at least.

Dying ten times in rapid succession would still probably drive Rasaad crazy though.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I just pretend "dead" characters are actually incapacitated, maybe comatose. Raise dead spells are always stupid in games and stories and such.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    Raise Dead and Resurrection are long a part of AD&D. And since that's what Bg is, they're certainly "canon". Books on the other hand, are not.
    At least that's my take. It would probably be reasonable to say each iteration is its own canon.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yeh, it wouldn't make sense in any form of medium that isn't a game. Games like BG use it as a crutch for the player so that the game wouldn't seem too hard, though BG is noticeably less lenient about it than other games. In anything else, where the story is set in stone and the characters living or dying is part of the narrative, resurrection doesn't really work unless it's a story about Jesus or something.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2014
    The below is entirely wild mass guessing and headcanon, buuuut...

You know how the Fate Spirit in the Pocket Plane mentions how your party members' fates ("threads") are linked to the PC? It could be that when your party members die, their spirits are still linked to the PC and therefore it's easier to bring them back than normal, also why you can't just walk around raising every other person who dies near you.

Think of it this way: why can you only raise NPCs that are in your party? Because when you boot them, you effectively cut the 'thread' linking you to them, breaking any ties their spirits have to the PC, therefore they are gone forever.

Maybe I'm trying too hard to fill in a game mechanics plot hole...
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    At least in 3rd edition D&D, coming back from the dead is only possible if the spirit is free and willing to return. That means that bad guys whose souls have been dragged to Hell wouldn't be free, and good guys whose deeds give them a one-way ticket to Heaven need to say no to eternal paradise in order to come back. With that flavor alone, the number of candidates eligible to return from the dead drops significantly.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited October 2014
    Everyone here has talked about AD&D, 2e, 3e, 3.5e.
    The Raise Dead and Resurrection mechanics go back to the initial White Box edition, and even to the original Gygax campaign. Indeed, in those days the increased chance of revival was one of the principle benefits of a high CON. Recovery was not certain, however, even with a maxed CON, and it had to be via a VERY high level cleric.

Pretty much only attempted if the party had the ability/opportunity to haul the remains back to a major temple, and pay a LOT. (Let's face it - it was pretty much a "DM's whim" mechanic.)
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I think I read about resurrection in one novel but I'm not sure. I know that speaking with dead is not very rare, but thats an other matter.

It would be very cool in game, speaking with dead. But all NPC's need special lines of dialog than.
  • kinghunter74kinghunter74 Member Posts: 27
    Another note of interest is that in exchange for this gift of unlimited resurrection in Baldur's Gate , you are completely deprived of any and all long distance teleporting ability.

Seriously, a lv40 mage shouldn't have to walk all the way back to a store to unload stuff. =P
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    You must master the Netherese powers of the arcane CLUA Console! With CLUA, all is possible. Bwahahahaaaaaaaaa... ::cough::::hack:: ::wheeze::
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680

so basically, the wand of resurrection in TOB is total BS

To be fair, the rod of resurrection is straight out of the 2ED Dungeon Masters Guide. And 10 charges is probably something of an understatement.

The DMG version has 50 charges, but uses multiple charges per use, depending on class & race of the person resurrected. Resurrecting a human cleric would be 2 charges (the cheapest combination) whereas an elven mage would take 7 charges (the most expensive)