Skip to content

My IWD party: the buttkickers

I am a powergamer. I just thought I'd throw that out there. That being said, I loathe cheating. I want to beat a game, but fair and square.

Here's the party I'm thinking about using in IWD:

1) Paladin (Inquisitior). Party leader. I could be convinced to switch Paladin kits if there were a better one for this game.

2) Half Elf Bard. Probably kitless, and any powergamer knows you need a Bard in this game.

3) Gnome Fighter/Cleric. I'm 99% sure I remember there being an awesome helmet for a Gnome or Halfling tank in this game. Plus, I needed a Cleric.

4) Druid. I'll either choose a Half Elf Avenger, or a Human Berserker dual into Druid (probably at level 3). The Avenger is a great option as it gives me two divine casters from the get-go, but the Berserker gives better fighting ability and some very useful immunities.

5) Elf Sorcerer (possibly Dragon Disciple). I am just so psyched to have a useful single classed spellchucker in this game. I love Sorcerers!! Anybody familiar with the original knows you can never find scrolls soon enough for a single classed Mage.

6) Elf FMT. I love this triple classed character. So versatile! I will use him as an archer (so the lack of armor won't matter) and he can handle all the locks and traps too. The Mage part is just a bonus thrown in there.

I'd love to hear opinions and if there are any suggestions to help me improve this party. Thank you.

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Kenji said:

The only question I have is..

Why do you not have a ranger with 8 intelligence!?

LOL, that's funny. I had just given the team a name because I saw a few posts about IWD teams having themes.

No hamsters or insane Rangers here.
    Frogman said:

Looks great! Fyi, lots of people on here are recommending an undead hunter due to the sheer number of undead present. He might work better than your inquisitor.

That's not a bad idea. I'll definitely consider it.
    Thanks.

I never liked the FMT before IWD. I only made one in my original play through because I knew, even as a triple multiclass, I'd have enough thief skills from him. Originally the character was to be a fighter/thief (think coran), but I added Mage because I knew my bard wouldn't be casting often.

A paladin is good because there's a nice sword for pally's in this game.

I do love me some dwarf though. I may have to work a dwarf cleric in there somehow. Considering the number of undead in this game, a single classed cleric, with a kit, may be superior to a fight/cleric.

Also, I'm going to use an Avenger instead of a Berserker > Druid. With the 17 CHA minimum for a dual, it makes getting optimal stats very difficult. And Web is a great spell (I'm not very keen on 2nd level divine spells).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Looks legit
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    The buttlickers will be a force to be reckoned with!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Klorox said:

1) Paladin (Inquisitior). Party leader. I could be convinced to switch Paladin kits if there were a better one for this game.

Pretty much any paladin is better than Inquisitor in IWD. They only rule in BG2 because you spend so much time fighting buffed up spellcasters in that game.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Klorox said:

Thanks.

I never liked the FMT before IWD. I only made one in my original play through because I knew, even as a triple multiclass, I'd have enough thief skills from him. Originally the character was to be a fighter/thief (think coran), but I added Mage because I knew my bard wouldn't be casting often.

I dunno. I have a pure thief right now, and I'm really liking it. It's my first playthrough and I'm finally making use of HiS, scouting out areas.
    I guess that a first-time thing though.
    Frogman said:

I hope that "typo" was on purpose. Funny stuff bro!
    Fardragon said:

Klorox said:

Frogman said:

I hope that "typo" was on purpose. Funny stuff bro!
    Yeah, should be "farce" not "force".
    Not as funny as Frogmans, but good try!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's an okay setup but the game would be easier with more melee power.
    bob_veng said:

Thanks. I could easily replace the Avenger with a Fighter/Druid.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    "Let's get out there and lick some butts, for justice!"
    Klorox said:

bob_veng said:

Thanks. I could easily replace the Avenger with a Fighter/Druid.
    yeah that would be a massive improvement

i'm also not sure that you need a mage class for that fighter/thief. it's not going to figure in; at least i don't see it making noticeable difference since you already have the sorc and the bard (going to rock with the broader spell selection)
    a magic missile and a quick invisibility here and there are cool but i don't think it justifies tragic levelling for that character.
    she will only shine in heart of fury.

if you want to go heavy on spells, make just a fighter/thief and you'll have enough melee power with that fighter/druid

edited November 2014
    Thanks guys.

Here's my updated party:

-Undead Hunter (Rick Grimes!)
    -Berserker 3 > Druid (or F/D multi)
    -Gnome or Halfling F/C (Gnome is a better melee option, Halfing a better caster and ranged attacker).
    -Elf F/M or F/M/T (either option will be a good archer/locks and traps guy)
    - Elf Sorcerer (glass cannon)
    -Half Elf Bard

My problem is that I really want to add a Dwarven Defender in the mix. I am dead-set on having a paladin, a sorcerer, a bard, a cleric, a druid, and a thief in the party (edit: and a gnome or Halfing)

Anybody have any suggestions on where to fit a Dwarven Defender in there?
    Post edited by Klorox on
    Okay, I figured it out. Now I need to decide if I like this party:

Undead Hunter
    Dwarf Defender
    F/D or Bers>Druid
    Gnome Cleric/Thief
    Sorcerer
    Bard

I'm not in love with the C/T multi, but it's undoubtedly a great utility character.

Now I need to weigh having a dedicated archer (elf FMT) vs no archers.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Klorox said:

kEEper a Dwarf DD/Druid - call it the Double Ds?
    edited November 2014
    RAM021 said:

Klorox said:

I can't figure out how to use a keeper with an android.
    Also, and I know this is weird, but as a powergamer, I feel the need to fully abide by the rules.
    Klorox said:

RAM021 said:

Klorox said:

I can't figure out how to use a keeper with an android.
    Also, and I know this is weird, but as a powergamer, I feel the need to fully abide by the rules.
    Use a computer...

Powergaming is about the letter of the rules rather than the spirit.
    I don't have a computer connected to the Internet (crazy, right?).

As for powergaming being about the letter of the rules: the rules are dwarves can't be Druids. :/
    You are posting somehow, presumably with your phone. Download it to your phone and plug it into your computer or plug your phone into your computer and download it directly (crazy I know ;-)

The rules are only half right in the case of Dwarven Defender...
    RAM021 said:

You are posting somehow, presumably with your phone. Download it to your phone and plug it into your computer or plug your phone into your computer and download it directly (crazy I know ;-)

The rules are only half right in the case of Dwarven Defender...

I didn't know that would work. I'll give it a shot. Thank you.
    Klorox said:

Okay, I figured it out. Now I need to decide if I like this party:
    I'm not in love with the C/T multi, but it's undoubtedly a great utility character.

just use holy power and he can hold a flank. with all the buffs he can hit really hard.
    i recommend a bg2 tweaks component that enables all classes to max most weapon styles, so he can dual wield.
    i always do this, it makes all the sense in the world to me and improves balance. and it's not that out of line with p&p compared to the default treatment of dual-wielding.