Skip to content

Your Favorite NPCs

When it comes time to make a party, who are your go to people, Favorite Mage? Favorite Thief? breaking it down by alightment etc. Whos company do you just find yourself with more often

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    In BG1, I use Yeslick, Coran, and Imoen every time. I much prefer small parties in BG1.

In BG2, have to force myself to not use Keldorn, Korgan, Mazzy, Aerie, and Nalia every time.

I love that group. They are effective, powerful, and allow me to play whichever charname I want. I know Korgan and Aerie are supposed to fight, but I have never had it come up. I wonder if it is because Aerie is usually invisible with the Staff of Magi??

I really have to try hard to not use that group.
  • SayenSayen Member Posts: 18
    I always use Imoen and Viconia through both games unless I'm making a deliberate effort not to in that playthrough.
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    edited October 2014
    BGEE - Dorn, Viccy, Tiax, Baeloth, and Edwin

BG2EE - Dorn, Korgan, Haer'Dalis, Edwin and Viccy

Big fan of evil parties. I've never finished as a good guy. Come to think of it I've never finished as a non-thief either! Good times.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited October 2014
    BG1 - Alora, Neera,

BG2 - Mazzy, Neera,

there are other characters I consider favourites but these are the ones I use nearly every game and form the base for most my parties. I always use Imoen too but that's due to story and the lack of useable thieves in bg2
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 482
    Main BG1 Party: Me, Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar, Montaron and Imoen
    Current Party: Me, Branwen, Ajantis, Xzar, Montaron and Shar-Teel

Main BG2 Party: Me, Jaheira, Sarevok, Minsc, Edwin and Imoen
    Current Party: Not sure yet, going to finish BG1
  • batjellybatjelly Member Posts: 25
    BG1: Mage/Thief CHARNAME, Coran, Jaheira (kill Khalid, every time), Kivan, Imoen, Xan

BG2: Any class, Imoen, Anomen, Jaheira, Minsc, Jan

BG1EE: Any class except monk, Dorn, Rasaad (ONLY for the story), Jaheira (s-sorry), Imoen, Xan

BG2EE: Tank/Thief, Imoen, Sarevok, Neera, Rasaad, Viconia
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    elminster said:

BGEE Kivan, Kha...Khalid, Baeloth, Neera, Imoen, Branwen.

BG2EE Cernd, Neera, Nalia, Anomen, Minsc, and Korgan.

I'm sur...surprised not to see Jan Jansen there, taking into con...consideration the high number of turnip posts b-b-b-y @elminster .
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    BG: Branwen, Garrick, Xan
    BG2: Aerie, Anomen, Yoshimo/Imoen
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I usually try to switch things up from playthrough to playthrough, so it's rare that I will have the same party composition twice in a row. However, Imoen is almost always a staple of my parties, and Kivan and Shar-Teel are also personal faves of mine.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited October 2014
    When I first played BG I would usually take the canon party: Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir but since then I've tried to branch out a bit and try as many combinations as possible. I'm currently fond of Coran and Kivan for their bow skills. Of the new content I think Neera is probably my favorite because her dialog is amusing.

In BG 2 I have a hard time abandoning Jaheira and Minsc since they both have personal reasons for tracking down Irenicus. Aerie and Jaheira together are fun if you have a male protagonist. I also like Jan and Valygar. Edwin is worth taking along, even if you're good, just to finish the Nether scroll quest arc (some of the funniest dialogs in the game). For the new folks, I'd still have to go with Neera. I know she annoys some people but I think she adds some needed levity to the proceedings.

I wouldn't say I actively dislike any of the characters from either game. Each offers a chance for a new replay and unexpected party banters.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    I do try to mix it up as much as possible and not always keep the same party. Imoen tends to get in a lot because it makes absolutely no sense to reject her when you meet her and she is so useful. I did go through a phase of using her in every game and doubling her to mage when I picked up Coran. In terms of liking them most I find Coran and Khalid the most endearing in BG1. In BG2 I find it very hard to drop Minsc because of the circumstances you find him in: it just wouldn't be fair to leave a huge, traumatized bloke who talks to his hamster to scrape a living washing dishes in some sleazy pub...
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2014
    Mostly I pick party members based on how they're related to the story. So in BG1, I'd rotate between Dynaheir, Minsc, Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan/Viconia, Yeslick, Rasaad and Imoen.

In BG2 I'd take Valygar, Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Rasaad, Yoshimo, Nalia (who usually ends up as my Charname's LI), and Anomen/Viconia.

TOB: Imoen, Sarevok, Nalia, Anomen, Minsc. When Ascension is fully compatible I'll probably drop Minsc/Anomen for Balthazar.

Of course, when I'm looking to get through a playthrough as quickly as possible, I assemble the League of Evil (Dorn, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Korgan, Kagain, Edwin) and cut a swath through the Sword Coast. *Does evil laugh*
    Post edited by Mhamza on
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    I don't really play BG1 that often since I don't like low-level adventures.

As far as BG2 is concerned...

Neera (+Wilson), Korgan, Edwin, Viccy, Yoshimo, Sarevok, and Solaufein (Weimer's mod) are my go-to faves.

Imoen, Jaheira, Nalia, and Minsc were fun the first time around, but they're too one-dimensional for additional playthroughs.

Aerie is a powergamer's fantasy, but she's too whiny for my taste.

I can't stand Keldorn, Anomen, and Valygar for their holier-than-thou claptrap.

I'm indifferent toward Rasaad, Jan, Cernd, and Mazzy (though I absolutely *ADORE* Jennifer Hale's work!).

Haer'Dalis as a character is too fickle and carefree for the type of parties I run, and I dislike bards in general.

Dorn and Hexxat both disguist me, first because they're written like Mary Sues, second because their lines (and the PC's responses) are undeniably amateurish even for bad fan fiction, and third because both of those character concepts are incredibly cool (who doesn't want awesome blackguards and sneaky vampire thieves in their parties?), and these ideas were wasted on those two clowns.
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2014
    kcwise said:

When I first played BG I would usually take the canon party: Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir but since then I've tried to branch out a bit and try as many combinations as possible. I'm currently fond of Coran and Kivan for their bow skills. Of the new content I think Neera is probably my favorite because her dialog is amusing.

In BG 2 I have a hard time abandoning Jaheira and Minsc since they both have personal reasons for tracking down Irenicus. Aerie and Jaheira together are fun if you have a male protagonist. I also like Jan and Valygar. Edwin is worth taking along, even if you're good, just to finish the Nether scroll quest arc (some of the funniest dialogs in the game). For the new folks, I'd still have to go with Neera. I know she annoys some people but I think she adds some needed levity to the proceedings.

I wouldn't say I actively dislike any of the characters from either game. Each offers a chance for a new replay and unexpected party banters.

Yeah i'm kind of in the same boat with BG1, i'm so use to always using the canon group i never really branch out to try anyone else. With my latest Blade playthrough i'm making an effort to switch it up. In this case Dorn (might switch to Adjantis but i really want that Elven Chain mail), Neera, Imoen, Vickie, and the last spot either Branwen or Yeslick
    Post edited by Felspawn on
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Jan forever and always.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    My favorite NPCs are viconia, mazzy, sarevok and imoen. I always seem to use viconia and imoen in every game. Even when I want to not play with imoen, I just can't leave her in spellhold.

She is my baby sister after all.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Imoen - she's quite cool.
    Minsc - he's an awesome force of goodness.
    Neera - she is cute.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Favorites? These certainly are my favorites, but not my go-to every time.

CHARNAME Wizard Slayer, Minsc, Tiax, Eldoth, Xan, Coran.
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Havent played BG2 in a while, and since Steam ain't running that on Mac i'm steady waiting to take my mage/theif through the complete saga... enough digressing

Sarevok & Yoshimo <--- Voice acting just makes them likeable... Kevin Richardson is THAT guy, like when watching Cartoons with my son and Kevin playing a villain or some cool character I just smile to my self lol.

On that note Jaheira's voice along with Vic is soothing. As NPC's solid in both games IMO

Dorn even though evil just somehow becomes a wanted party member. Blackguard kit reminiscent of making a Skyrim toon.

I am trying to not list all NPC's as they all contain an element I like... except Tiax/Quayle/Alora/Skie as they was always too late in the game for me to care about them (Till BG1NPC Mod I recently acquired)

However got a game running a NE Half-Orc Cleric/Thief where Quayle is proving to be a decent NPC in a quirky type of way...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Sarevok for favorite fighter.

The others depend on the the alignment of my main. Paladins don't hang out with evil NPCs, unless they can be redeemed.

Imoen is a favorite of mine because she's adaptable and versatile.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014
    BG1
    1. Edwin
    2. Kagain
    3. Branwen
    4. Coran
    5. Viconia
    6. Safana

BG2
    1. Sarevok
    2. Edwin
    3. Korgan
    4. Viconia
    5. Jaheira
    6. Haer'Dalis
    7. Anomen
    8. Minsc
    9. Aerie
    10. Imoen
    11. Nalia
    12. Keldorn
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    BG1 - my most commonly used NPCS are Imoen, Branwen, Kivan, Coran and Faldorn.
    BGEE - replaced Coran and Faldorn with Neera and Rasaad
    BG2 - Yoshimo/Imoen, Nalia, Mazzy, Valygar, Haer'Dalis
    BG2EE - hmm well I'll find out soon enough, I confess I haven't actually bought this as yet :-{ . Promised myself I'd wait until I beat BGEE...three years later....and then decided I'd wait for the patch, so roll it on!
  • SleeplesSleeples Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2014
    Oh so many favourite NPCS, I suppose bg saga has the best NPCs ever, every party member has unique, unforgetable personality.

In BG 1:
    Females:
    Jaheira - one of my favourite, nice voice acting, strong personality, though class isnt that good, Id prefer her to be pure druid. "If tree falls in da forest...... I'll KILL the bastard what done it" Her ironical phrases r damn rememberable. Later in Bg2 she demonstrates her maturity and wisdom, and despite on the death of her lvely husband, still finds powers to be ironical(sometimes)

Viconia - damn alfa female, castaway, dominant, evil, sometimes helpless who is trying to look strong, suspicious she is the must in my neutral or evil party (would take to good parties as well, but she eventually leaves cause of high repo). Awesome stats as well. " Get away from me surface scum "

Dynaheir - Most of all I like her voice acting, her way is speaking is really amazing, she is nice, though sometimes she can be hot-tempered and independent

Males:

Kagain - Damn interesting personality, ~ 8 years ago, I used to underestimate this toon, cause he seemed to me pretty boring, but now more and more I like him. I like the practical side of him (when u accept quest to bring Samuel"s body to temple in Friendly arm Inn, he says smth like : " Who pays the delivery ? " . Go pester someone else. He is pretty rational and Think that he is the most adequate toon NPC in BG 1, not a hero not a villain, doesnt want to make good deeds, not prone to do bad deeds, not talkative but damn charismatic. Only one thing he cares GOLD and Money, looks irritated all the time " I don't wanna talk " "Go pester someone else" "You dolt shut your trap, before it gets you into troubles.

Xzar and Montaron - nuff said, crazy duo, Xzar is really creepy and insane with amazing personality, While Monty is more adequate but not less evil ( prolly even more evil than Xzar). They really dont like each other, but at the same time they need each other.

Kivan - his passion and determination to revenge for his wife is damn amazing, he is a real example of kind hearted person, driven to despair by murder of his wife, he is relentless untill he find bastards responsible for killing his love, the woman he loved with all his heart. THough this feeling of hate and revenge might consume him. Unlike Minsc in BG 2, Kivans heart will be restless until he fulfill his desire to revenge, in this perspective minsc is more kind.

• alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't feel much of a connection with the characters in BG1. With the exception of new NPCs, none of them are very chatty. I don't know if it's just my game, but after finding that letter proclaiming my demi-godhood in Candlekeep, I was expecting Jaheira or Khalid to say something. Anything. But with their stony silence, it was like I'd just found an old grocery receipt.

In BG2 - Imoen, Jaheira, Aerie, Dorn, Haer'Dalis

I don't like Keldorn. My characters are almost always chaotic-something. So when he threatens them in the sewers, it doesn't go down very well.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Favorites...
    -Jan
    -Alora
    -Quayle
    -Anomen
    -Shar-Teel

Least favorites...
    -Xan
    -Xzar
    -Edwin
    -Neera