Skip to content

#10247 Poison and other effects bypass mirror image.

DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
edited October 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
When an enemy hits an image (no damage) the caster has to roll a saving throw anyway.

OK, well maybe it is not that big, but if you love soloing with a mage/sorcerer it is really annoying.

Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Poison (of every type: darts, abilities and so on) bypasses not only Mirror Image but also Stoneskin/Ironskins. I've always looked at it as a feature, not a bug.

This is one of my favourite ways of dealing with enemy spellcasters.
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2014
    @bengoshi Bypassing stoneskin and Ironskin maybe it is a feature, but if you hit an image, you don't hit the real body. It is clearly a bug.

I am OK with mirror image being affected by AoE spells (this was a bug in the original game and it was one of my favourite ways of dealing with AoE damage), but being bypassed by all those effects when you only hit an image, it is an irreal nerf.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Looks like this was an intentional change, the reason being that the counter-situation was previously broken. Specifically this comment from the linked thread "Even if you hit the actual target and not an image the mirror images protect from poison some how"

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13636/mirror-image-protects-from-poison
    JuliusBorisovelminster
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2014
    @Gate70 I understand, But is this bug impossible to fix then?

- If you hit an image: No damage and no saving throws.
    - If you hit the actual target: Damage and saving throw.

I don't know if it would have been better not to do any change. Before the bug was happening 1/number of Images times, now the bug happens (number of Images - 1)/number of Images. It is a worse situation.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    I've raised a ticket. There are a couple of earlier tickets which both made changes regarding mirrors+poison so there might be limitations on what can be done.
    Thanks
    DarKelP
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    @‌Gate70

I think poison applied already when mirror image is active should be blocked completely (ie no damage ever happening). But poison already active should not be blocked (each hit affects the caster and doesn't remove an image).

I suggest implementing a new bit in the .eff file format that is the opposite of the "damage ignore mirror image". This affects all other opcodes so that they remove one mirror image but at the same time might not affect the recipient because of mirror image.

For example, marking all the effects of a Ray of Enfeeblement by this flag would mean a non-damaging spell could be blocked by Mirror Image if the spell was aimed at a .cre. Makes sense IMO that some spells are miss-or-else spells.
    CrevsDaak