Skip to content

Will Steam version release on Oct 30th?

Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
I'm aware BGEE and BG2EE were released first through beamdog and the various app stores before coming to steam. I was just curious if Steam users would see it come to the store on Oct. 30th at the same time as the other platform releases? So far there is nothing on Steam's Upcoming Titles list concerning Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.

I'd been hoarding $10 out of every check for the inevitable Steam holiday sale, but I don't mind dipping in to get this, I just hope it launches close to that date!

Comments

• AcruxAcrux Member Posts: 11
    Oh, I didn't realize there'd been a delay in the previous EE releases on Steam! I've squirreled away a bit to pick this up on Thursday. I've been a bit disappointed that there hasn't been a pre-order on Steam.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I'm assuming we will be waiting a bit. Pity!
    edited October 2014
    Hadn't thought about that, but it is a good point.

EDIT: You convinced me. I just bought BG2:EE and pre ordered IWD:EE direct from Beamdog.

Let's hear it for the Infinity Engine!

I own IWD1, IWD2, BG1 and BG2, but none of the EEs. BG:EE is not really my scene, but I did love BG2.
    Post edited by Ancalagon44 on
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Ancalagon44‌
    You should really play BG:EE with NPCproject. You get a much more BG2-like experience
    I think saying this on these boards might get me lynched, but I don't normally play with companions in BG2. So, it isn't the lack of banter and romance in BG1 that makes me not like it.

I've finished BG1 once or twice, and I found it to be quite slow compared to other D&D games. It also lacks the epicness of BG2 (no liches or shadow dragons for obvious reasons) and the scenery of IWD1. Just doesn't appeal to me, at least not nearly as much as BG2 and the IWD games.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153

I think saying this on these boards might get me lynched, but I don't normally play with companions in BG2. So, it isn't the lack of banter and romance in BG1 that makes me not like it.

I've finished BG1 once or twice, and I found it to be quite slow compared to other D&D games. It also lacks the epicness of BG2 (no liches or shadow dragons for obvious reasons) and the scenery of IWD1. Just doesn't appeal to me, at least not nearly as much as BG2 and the IWD games.

Do you create your own party or play solo?
    I create my own party.

I have played the game with NPCs two of three times. Eventually I got tired of the interactions!
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am just wondering what is the best way to download the game
    Steam
    Beamdog or
    GoG
    I won't be getting it right away because I'm getting a new laptop in December
    Thank You.
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    If you've no other preference get it from Beamdog.
    You'll end up giving the people who made the game more money (for the same cost to you), and you're more likely to get fixes/updates quicker than if you're waiting to get them through a 3rd party (like steam).

Win-win.
  • TheRaven476TheRaven476 Member Posts: 44
    Yeah I started to really doubt that it would release on steam the same day when this question got asked repeatedly and never answered. The statements "IWDEE Will release on the 30th" and " We will release it on A, B, C & D" were always kept separate. I get that they make more money if we buy it through beam dog so they have incentive to "delay" it on the other platforms a bit (*Cough* Drive club) and keep quiet about it but I'm really sick of having all these individual program clients I have to go through before playing a game. Since my last reformat I am in full boycott of EA because I will NOT put origin back on my computer.........
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

I create my own party.

I have played the game with NPCs two of three times. Eventually I got tired of the interactions!

Then you're gonna love IWDEE.
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73

Yeah I started to really doubt that it would release on steam the same day when this question got asked repeatedly and never answered. The statements "IWDEE Will release on the 30th" and " We will release it on A, B, C & D" were always kept separate. I get that they make more money if we buy it through beam dog so they have incentive to "delay" it on the other platforms a bit (*Cough* Drive club) and keep quiet about it but I'm really sick of having all these individual program clients I have to go through before playing a game. Since my last reformat I am in full boycott of EA because I will NOT put origin back on my computer.........

Im with you with the doubt.... Which is kind of sad.

I would really prefer to have all of my games on steam. I just like steam and the ease of use it gives you. I am definately into supporting the dev's directly, but I dont want to suffer in my game library expirience for the rest of my gaming 'career' because of it. Therefor I would love it if you could buy from beamdog, with the promise you'll be given a steam key later. Or a choice to exchange for a steam key later. But alas, this isnt a perfect world.

It would be very nice if someone could confirm, or deny, wether or not this is going to pop up on steam tomorrow.
  • BoracBorac Member Posts: 15
    Icewind dale ee is on upcomming games list now, but I implore people to buy it directly from Beamdog and rather buy it on steam later in summer or Winter sale.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    It should be available at the same time. Steam got the BG 1.3 patch first so I think the support there has improved since any initial launch problems.
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2014
    Borac said:

Icewind dale ee is on upcomming games list now, but I implore people to buy it directly from Beamdog and rather buy it on steam later in summer or Winter sale.

Awesome! Some hope yet...

Are you content if I nab it on steam full price? I love my library too much, and you cant separate family.... How am I going to explain to BG:EE and BG2:EE that their half brother is not coming home?
  • BoracBorac Member Posts: 15
    Shyn said:

Borac said:

Awesome! Some hope yet...

Are you content if I nab it on steam full price? I love my library too much, and you cant separate family.... How am I going to explain to BG:EE and BG2:EE that their half brother is not coming home?
    Sure thing mate. Enjoy the game, I certainly will :)
  • Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
    Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition is on the Upcoming Games list on Steam now, releasing October 30th. While I have no issue supporting beamdog or Overhaul games, when it comes down to brass tacks people are going to want to play on their platform of choice and having it on Steam day 1 means more people likely to buy day one than wait for it, which also means more wholesale price (even if Steam does take a cut) than the inevitable steam sale cuts.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited October 2014
    Dee said:

We don't have a problem with people buying the game on whatever platform they prefer. Beamdog provides a stand-alone install that can be transferred to a flash drive for back-up and is entirely DRM-free. Steam provides a version of the game that can be streamed onto your other computers at home and makes excellent use of the Steam overlay for playing music, interacting with friends, and joining the vast community of Steam players.

Both are excellent options. Buy the game where you like.

And yes, to answer the question people are asking, Steam will see the game's release the same day as Beamdog. Its store page is live now, in fact: http://store.steampowered.com/app/321800

So what you are saying is I should buy the game twice. Once through Beamdog to get DRM free and once through steam so people can annoy the hell out of me while I play.

Edit: damnable autocorrect
    Post edited by deltago on
  • rojayrojay Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2014
    I'm planning to buy two copies; one for my son on the Windows desktop, and another for my macbook.

Edit: I'm trying to figure out now why I thought the above was worth sharing. I'm failing in the attempt. Regardless, looking forward to the game.

::hides in shadows::
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    You may be missing the point that once you have downloaded the game through beamdog, you can shut down the beamdog client and launch the game direct. It may be possible to do the same in steam, that is, close the steam client. Or possibly not. In any case it's practically unique.

I also hate drm clients, so nothing autoruns, I start the relevant client when I want it.

Steam gets exemption from hate because of their sales. Their double-billing not so much :p

Origin I kinda tolerate, because Mass effect 1&2 were cool, and I grabbed the free copy of Dragon age origins, but DAO does nothing for me, it's pretty similar to mass effect, but worse in several annoying ways. My daughter wants ME3, so I'll wait for a sale there.

What others .. Uplay gets fired up for Assassin's creed, waiting for AC4 to go on steam sale.

I grabbed Dark souls: prepare to die edition on a steam sale, but it needs a microsoft live account or something, I actually have one for SQL server and the .Net express stuff, but I don't think I'll ever bother to figure out what DRM it needs in order to run.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    deltago said:

So what you are saying is I should buy the game twice. Once through Beamdog to get DRM free and once through steam so people can annoy the hell out of me while I play.

You can just buy the Beamdog version and than add that to Steam as a Non-Steam game and "should" still be able to use the overlay...

You may be missing the point that once you have downloaded the game through beamdog, you can shut down the beamdog client and launch the game direct. It may be possible to do the same in steam, that is, close the steam client. Or possibly not. In any case it's practically unique.

I also hate drm clients, so nothing autoruns, I start the relevant client when I want it.

Steam gets exemption from hate because of their sales. Their double-billing not so much :p

Origin I kinda tolerate, because Mass effect 1&2 were cool, and I grabbed the free copy of Dragon age origins, but DAO does nothing for me, it's pretty similar to mass effect, but worse in several annoying ways. My daughter wants ME3, so I'll wait for a sale there.

What others .. Uplay gets fired up for Assassin's creed, waiting for AC4 to go on steam sale.

I grabbed Dark souls: prepare to die edition on a steam sale, but it needs a microsoft live account or something, I actually have one for SQL server and the .Net express stuff, but I don't think I'll ever bother to figure out what DRM it needs in order to run.

Oh man, you missed the time when either Origin gave away Mass Effect 3 for free or it was super cheap in a Humble Bundle (I forget how I got my copy). I own physical copies of ME 1 and 2.