Skip to content

Trent Oster's interview with pcgamesn.com: expect Baldur’s Gate V

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
“Icewind Dale was kind of this left-turn where you just jumped out and it was all about the bashing and combat and winning the fight and wondering what was around the next corner, that was going to be as challenging or even more challenging than what you just fought,” said Trent Oster.

“At BioWare at some points we tried to introduce puzzles that were different. Icewind Dale is like combat puzzles. And they’re just fun.”

“I think that’s where a lot of the satisfaction of Icewind Dale comes from,” said Oster. “By knowing the rules and by being able to build great combination characters and play them how they’re intended, you can do some amazing things that you wouldn’t think are possible with a party.”

“Those guys (from Black Isle) were good,” recalled Oster. “To me Black Isle was always about really, really strong artwork, and it still looks phenomenal. It’s just haunting.”

“Initially we were pretty intimidated by it, but once we started working with the content we were like, ‘Man, this stuff is so beautiful, it holds up so well’.”

“I always found Black Isle’s writing to be a lot more direct, a lot shorter,” he said. “At BioWare I think we tended to get a little novelistic. Whereas Chris’ stuff was more colloquial, and more accessible.”

“It’s like going in and finding Tolkien’s notes and trying to write the next book,” said Oster. “It’s really intimidating to start, but you’ve got most of his thoughts for the first third and you’ve just got to finish it up. At the end of it you get something you’re pretty proud of.”

“Often it’s the same story: you’ve got a lot of good plot ideas, you implement all of them, and late in the game you’re like, ‘We’ve only got time to fix 80% of the bugs. So 20%, we’ve just got to cut those off and bury them somewhere’. And that’s what you do.”

“It’s this amalgamation of features from Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II, and now Icewind Dale as well,” said Oster. “You get options on top of options in terms of what you want to do from a character standpoint. For the rules enthusiast you can just make some insane, insane parties.”

“I feel with the Baldur’s Gate stuff almost like a museum curator, even though I was one of the original guys who was there doing it the first time around,” mused Oster. “We’re doing good work but we’re doing it with borrowed property.

“I’m quite anxious for us to do our own thing and really explore Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying games - the way we’d like to do them now, with a certain progression in games design and how games have moved forward.

“Ultimately my goal would be to build another franchise like Baldur’s Gate.”

“Historically we had some really hard dates in the contract with Atari, and if we did not hit those we were heavily heavily penalised,” said Oster. “This time around it’s just us and Wizards, and it’s so much easier to do.”

“If we wanted to position ourselves in this mini-scale RPG renaissance thing, I wanna be the D&D house,” he said. “Baldur’s Gate was a great story but it’s been told and I think it’s time to start to think about the next great story.”

Oster’s time at EA after BioWare’s acquisition “opened his eyes” to the opportunities awaiting smaller-scale RPG developers.

“I think that’s given me a really great perspective on how to do the opposite of what they’re doing,” he said. “Whilst they’re looking at those 15 million unit sellers, we’re building the right niche games for the right niches. To me that’s what this golden age is about.”

What it’s not about is nostalgia. Oster insists that, like Obsidian, Larian and InXile, Beamdog are picking up old threads dropped by ‘90s RPGs and pulling them in new directions.

“One of the massive opportunities for us is to understand why that nostalgia is there in the first place, and to say, ‘If we had continued and done this and this and this, where would we wind up?’,” said Oster.

“I don’t wanna make Baldur’s Gate III. I wanna make Baldur’s Gate V.”

Details here" http://www.pcgamesn.com/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/inside-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition-and-the-future-of-dd-rpgs

Comments

• wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    i would like to get something in the world of baldur's gate , connected with the amazing spirit of baldur;s gate , so many times @TrentOster‌ said about BG3 and know is speaking about bg V , i am just afraid that they wanna make something not related to the BG
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Can't say I agree that Chris Avellone's writing is more colloquial and less novelistic than Bioware's... can't think of a more inaccurate description of either of those styles... :S
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    BG5?!! Whoa, whoa! One step at a time!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    It really shouldn't surprise anyone that we go to 5 right off the bat. That's how we count these days, right? 7, 8, 10. 1, 2, 5. The future... is here!
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So...yea...I suspect what Trent meant by "BG V" is not "I want to make a 5th bg", it's "I want to make the next Baldur's Gate different enough and up to date enough that it would look like a 5th edition to the series." It's a comment about not limiting themselves to a sequel.

At least, I HOPE that's what he meant. I can't imagine what a BG written to today's game play standards would be like...I can only tell you it'd be one of the best games ever made.

But seriously, I'd just be happy to see Planescape:Torment reproduced...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    V for Victory?
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    V for 22?
    V for Vanilla?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I doubt he meant it literally.

Obviously not:

“Baldur’s Gate was a great story but it’s been told and I think it’s time to start to think about the next great story.”

bengoshi said:
    Continuing on to Baldur's Gate VIII: Tower of Sauron.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2014
    The main takeaways for me from this interview are:
    “Baldur’s Gate was a great story but it’s been told and I think it’s time to start to think about the next great story.

“I’m quite anxious for us to do our own thing and really explore Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying games - the way we’d like to do them now, with a certain progression in games design and how games have moved forward.

“Ultimately my goal would be to build another franchise like Baldur’s Gate.”
    I.e., a new D&D game franchise. I would suppose that by saying "Baldur's Gate V" what Trent means is a game series in the spirit of BG but with a new story. So games that resemble what BG III, IV, and V might be like, but a series generated by a new tale?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Lemernis said:

I.e., a new D&D game franchise. I would suppose that by saying "Baldur's Gate V" what Trent means is a game series in the spirit of BG but with a new story. So games that resemble what BG III, IV, and V might be like, but a series generated by a new tale?

That's the way I'm reading his comments. I really can't see Baldur's Gate going any further frankly. By the time you finish ToB, you're pretty close to being a god in your abilities. So any story after that point would need to take place in that realm. And with all those super-powered beings you'd be dealing with, the game would probably be pretty boring after awhile. I think the franchise has already run it's course and it's time to start something new.

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I'm much more Partial to Baldur's Gate XIII-2, Chain Lightning Returns.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2014
    Belanos said:

Lemernis said:

That's the way I'm reading his comments. I really can't see Baldur's Gate going any further frankly. By the time you finish ToB, you're pretty close to being a god in your abilities. So any story after that point would need to take place in that realm. And with all those super-powered beings you'd be dealing with, the game would probably be pretty boring after awhile. I think the franchise has already run it's course and it's time to start something new.

I think if the Baldur's Gate saga story continues it would pick up with Bhaal's return in Baldur's Gate (as with Murder in Baldur's Gate), and it would in effect be a new story. That said, I'm sure it would have some tie-ins to Abdel Adrian's story; and in that sense would be built somewhat on BG1 and 2's legacy. How to do that is up to the creativity of the writers.

So I think there can--and well could be--be a Baldur's Gate 3. What Trent's comments make me wonder is whether BG3 will end up being designed by some other developer that is aiming at huge sales (which probably means 3D graphics, design for console systems, and MMO). And if Beamdog would actually rather prefer to start building its own game franchise now in more of a niche market for fans of the Infinity games (that style of gaming anyway). That's what I took from his reference to reference to EA and his
    "'eyes being opened' to the opportunities awaiting smaller-scale RPG developers"

“I think that’s given me a really great perspective on how to do the opposite of what they’re doing,” he said. “Whilst they’re looking at those 15 million unit sellers, we’re building the right niche games for the right niches. To me that’s what this golden age is about.”
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LasejixLasejix Member Posts: 17
    It's true that the story is ended with ToB, but if youo want another BG it must be in ad&d world, and in faerub overall. Why not making the story of other living child of bhaal? Imoen is not enough charismatic, but what about Sarevok? even if we ever know a little about his story after ToB.
    You add a graphical engine like the one use in Dragon age origin for exemple, and keeping the extraordinary atomshphere of bg/bg2 iwd/iwd2 game and i think we can have something great.
    The top will be if we can have a scenario where you mustn't just kill the great evil (in bg/bg2 you can just kill all foes, but what seduce peoples is the path to become (or not) a god) and of course great companion with true personalities...