Skip to content

Xzar and Perhaps Montaron Mod (Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    If Xzar is still working for the Zhents then I would either a) leave him as a Necromancer but bump his Wis to 17 to give players the option for DCing to Cleric or b) if you are going to have him DCed at party joining then make his God either Cyric or Xvim (Bane’s Son).
    Existential
  • ExistentialExistential Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2018
    Yas feedback excellent!
    @dockaboomski Currently its a case of if you are level 10 Xzar will join your team fully dual classed (like Imoen or Anomen), which all SOD players will likely be, If you are less than lvl 10 he'll tell you he's busy dual classing. Still have intentions of creating a non dual classed option however.

@evildevil97 @Zaghoul @Blades Cheers for the ideas! The aim atm would be to introduce an Ur-preist style cleric, he doesn't support any deity and has learned the means of essentially stealing powers from deities without their awareness. I can't see Xzar ever worshipping a deity. This will naturally cause conflict with most other Preists
    Post edited by Existential on
    dockaboomski
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    I do Believe @subtledoctor Has an Ur-priest in Faith and Powers that might be to your liking. Also if you would like help with Dialogue please PM me. I would love to assist.
    Existential
    Nice! unfortunately on install im not getting an option for it which is odd.
    And yes definitely! I need as much help as possible haha
    RVNS
    Not taken the wrong way all :) This is simply what ive put as a starting point, literally just learned to do this
    by replacing parts of the BranwenNPC tutorial Mod, not entirely sure how to do very much yet! And yeah totally agree re block of text, on the to do list of "learn how to do these properly".
    And my friend has already volunteered to be grammar and spell checker, happy days.
    OrlonKronsteenRVNS
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

• Montaron is a usable quick item for Xzar, with various thief abilities.
    Lock Pick (Knock) Twice per Day
    Find Traps (as per Cleric spell) 3 times Per Day
    Poison Attack (Gained through subquest)

• Subquest Involving Montaron returning to his normal form.
    Montaron to regain speech from subquest, interjects on banters with other NPCs.
    Montaron in game sounds effects similar to Lilarcor

Keep in mind that in the un-modded game, Monty's dead body is lying in a chest in the Harper base (you can't find it unless you return there AFTER Xzar is dead, though) - so you would need to make sure to remove that body from the game, or else a party could end up with two Montarons in it (one living, one dead).

Another possibility could be that, as part of Xzar's quest, he has you bring Monty's body to a temple to be raised.

ExistentialRVNSThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
    @SharGuidesMyHand Really? I have never found a dead Monty before, what chest?
    RVNS
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited April 2018
    Wanted to call out that having Xzar be a dual-class could cause issues for people who use Faiths & Powers or Dieties of Faerun as both require Clerics to have kits and you can't have two kits (Necromancer + Cleric kit). So I would hesitate on the dual-classing.
    RVNSContemplative_HamsterThacoBellExistential
    edited April 2018
    Interesting! How does faiths and powers combat illusionist gnome cleric PCs or Quayle and Glint NPCs?
    Edit: Or dual classing to a cleric in general actually? as you can't take a kit for your second class
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    That is a @subtledoctor question for F&P.

DoF uses @kjeron mod to get a kit on the second class IF there is no kit on the first class.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

It should be on the second floor IIRC, but again, only AFTER Xzar has been killed (you also get a ton of XP for finding the body).
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen

It should be on the second floor IIRC, but again, only AFTER Xzar has been killed (you also get a ton of XP for finding the body).
    Woahh Mind = Blown hahahaha
    Its only findable on Jaheiras quest when you return to be judged by the Harpers, otherwise you cant get back in. Can't believe ive played this game for so long and didnt know you could actually find montaron hahaha
    OrlonKronsteen
  • darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    Wait, did Existential finish his mod? Where do you get it? Wow, 8 years ago I posted on my honor I would make one. Well, I'm still not dead. I'm playing through BG1 again even though I'm old and tired. Then I'm gonna finally get through spear for the first time. And then... if there is no decent montaron and xzar mod I'm making one just like I said. I still remember playing through on my pentium 3 and 6 BG1 cds with montaron and xzar and then being forced to kill them in BG2. This is a wrong that will be righted so help me GOD.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    BG1 NPCs for SoA & ToB includes Xzar & Montaron.
    edited December 2022
    Hey thanks. I read about the murder mysteries. So you meet Xzar at a bridge. What did they do with the harper quest? Is it just gone? Oh wait it looks like you find him in a house after the harper thing. I think.
    Post edited by darksaurian on
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 280
    Hey thanks. I read about the murder mysteries. So you meet Xzar at a bridge. What did they do with the harper quest? Is it just gone? Oh wait it looks like you find him in a house after the harper thing. I think.

Hello! After completing the Harpers main quest, you can find Xzar (along with Montaron) at his home in the Docks. He will tell you how he survived and what happened. After that, you can take it to the party. By the way, if Jaheira is also in your party, she will react to Xzar's words.
    P.S. Xzar in this component of the mod has a lot of interjections and banters in SoA and ToB, and he also has his own small quest in SoA and an epilogue in ToB.
    Oh hey you're the guy who made the mod. thx. I'm gonna beat bg1&2 with montaran and xzar. This is 20 years in the making. Man that ruined BG2 back then.
  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 280
    Oh hey you're the guy who made the mod. thx. I'm gonna beat bg1&2 with montaran and xzar. This is 20 years in the making. Man that ruined BG2 back then.

The original author of the mod and most of the texts is Smiling Imp, and I only maintain the mod and expand the content. But anyway, thanks! :)