Skip to content

Dragon Age: Origins party

Hey all, one of my favorite games of all time is DA:O, and I thought it'd be fun to create a party out of some of the NPCs in that game. So I went to thinking and decided I'd go with this six.

-Allistair: A Human Wizard Slayer, since he's a Templar in the game. I'll give him sword and shield style with bastard swords or long swords. Neutral good.

-Oghren: A Dwarf Berserker, since that's the exact kit in DA as well. I'll stick him with two handed weapons and make him chaotic good maybe?

-Sten: A Half Orc, but not exactly sure what class to give him. I'll give him two handed weapons as well, and make him chaotic neutral.

-Wynne: A Human Cleric/mage, because she's a healer, and a mage. Not the tanky cleric type that's seen in IWD. I'll make her either lawful or neutral good and probably just give her slings or darts, so she can stand back and do damage.

-Morrigan: Not exactly sure what kind of mage to make her either. Perhaps a sorceress? Either way I'll give her some ranged weapons as well, and make her chaotic neutral.

-Leliana: A Human Theif, but if there's a better kit I could give her I'm open to suggestions! Also give her a shortbow/longbow, whichever one has better opportunities later in the game. Also, make her lawful good.

I was tied between having Zevran or Leliana, but I decided I'm a much bigger Leliana fan! Also I didn't go into any DLC NPCs, just sticking with vanilla for now. What do you guys think?

Comments

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited November 2014
    You should add your own warden to the party IMO :)

Also I don't think Leliana is LG, shes NG or CG IMO.

For sten I'd make him a straight fighter or barbarian. He can fly into rages, as evidenced by his reason for being In the cage you find him in.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I would use Avenger-Druid for Morrigan. Shapeshifting into a spider is one of her tricks.

You could go with Inquisitor for Alistair.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    What a nice idea!
    I think that Morrigan would fit well in the role of the sorceress. Avenger kit would be good, but then she would be True Neutral and I do not think that's the right alignment for her.
    As for Wynne, I would choose LB; NB for Leliana.
    Do you perhaps think to import some portraits from DAO? That would be great!
    Please, keep us updated :)
    Given the approach to alignment in DAO, you could make a case that all characters should be true neutral. In DnD terms, CE might be a closer match to Morrigan, but the Avenger's abilities are a very close match.

Technically, all spellcasters in Dragon Age are Sorcerers.
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2014
    No love for the Hero of River Dane? Now I am sad. I bet he would be quite mad if I made him a Cavalier.

Loghain's alignment would be quite interesting considering everything he did, at least in his opinion, he did it for his country. He did not particularly adhere to his countries laws while it would be too much of a strech to make him Chaotic/Neutral Good (which was his alignment until DAO) given the slavery he permitted.

Sten would most likely be some kind of Barbarian or, using lore justification, a Wizard Slayer considering that the mages of his people are slaves. (Lawful Neutral or maybe even Evil alignment)

Leliana would, theoretically, be a bard with the full repertoire of thievery abilities. Considering this is not possible in the game, she would still be a bard (she even has bardic abilities). Without Zevran in your party, however, thief is the kit you should use. (Chaotic Good in DAO but probably changes alignment judging by her service as Sister Nightingale)

For Alistair, I would have gone with Inquisitor rather than Wizard Slayer but either works. (Lawful Good)
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Sten as chaotic neutral? Are you kidding? Sten is the poster child for Lawful Neutral, everything he does and says, even his name, is dictated by his place in the qun.
  • JaemonJaemon Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    I have to disagree on Leliana. Even though she's technically a bard, she also is your primary thief and primary healer. She's therefore perfect as a Human Thief - dualclassed to Cleric after obtaining the necessary thieving skills. You can even keep her as an archer and play her exactly as she was in the original game, and add the "bardic" undertones through RP.

I would argue that Morrigan is more of the Neutral Evil persuasion, and completely agree with @sceptenar about Sten.

Here's what I'd do with your same setup:

Allistair - Cavalier, longsword and shield - he's more noble than your typical allies, and I just really, really don't like the Wizard Slayer kit...

Ogrhen - same, Dwarf Berzerker, 2h. (I would actually probably use TWF though so as to not interfere with Sten).

Sten - LN Fighter, 2h.

Wynne - LG Elf Cleric/Mage. She continues to gain in both abilities in the original game, so she should be played the same way here. Multiclass will keep you in the armor restrictions and make her less "tanky" while giving you full access to the spells.

Morrigan - NE Halfelf Sorceror - OR - Mage (Necromancer)

Leilana - Human Thief -> Cleric, max find traps and lockpicking at least. Neutral Good.

Now I think I may copy your idea and do the same thing...because this post was awesome enough to force me to finally, finally register after 6 months of lurking!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Leliana as a bard
    Alistair as an Inquisitor
    Morigan as a Tomatic druid (shapechanger)
    Wynne as a cleric/mage
    Oghren as a berserker
    Zevran as an assassin

Two tanks, two arcane casters, two divine casters, one rogue for traps. Balanced party.
    You can Swap Oghren or Alistair for Sten making him a half orc kensai with 2 handed swords.
  • Lewis244Lewis244 Member Posts: 26
    All great suggestions, thanks a lot guys. I do like the idea of making Morrigan an Avenger, I think that's the direction I'll end up going for her. It makes sense as well, since she grew up in the forest.
    Bards are very important, so I'll more than likely start Leliana off as a thief and then make her a bard once she's a decent thief.
    As for Allistair I decided that Inquisitor would be a much better class for him, as I'm not a big fan of the wizard slayer kit either.
    And for Sten, I'll probably stick him with just a vanilla fighter. I don't like having two characters use two handed weapons though, so I may give him dual weapon proficiency? What do you guys think?
    You could always have Shale instead of Sten - Dwarven Defender.