Skip to content

Why is there no American TV shows this week?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
Ok that's not entirely true, but I enjoy a few US TV shows, and I've noticed that they often have a random breaks in the middle of a season. I don't mean like a mid-season interval, just a random break. I've always been curious why that happens, and what do they show on TV instead? I live in the UK, where TV shows tend to have shorter seasons, but no breaks in the middle of them.

For example this week there is no Agents of SHIELD or The Flash, but rather confusingly, Arrow did air last night, even though I'm pretty sure it's on the same network as The Flash. In the past, I've noticed this phenomenon with other shows like Game of Thrones and The Big Bang Theory.

Can any American friends enlighten me please? :)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've always wondered this as well. I guess it lets them stretch out the season more so that people are less likely to forget about a show (for when the next season starts).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    something something US daylight savings time change
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Tuesday night was largely given over to election coverage. Some shows ran re-runs, so it was no big deal to interupt with "breaking news".
    Some Monday shows may have been bumped for election eve coverage; but Tuesday was a wash.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Long weekends also play a part in missing a week. That is why HBO skipped a week with game of thrones last year.

Politics, Holidays, and other special events (Super Bowl, Oscars, etc) are usually the main culprits.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    If it was next week it could be veterans day, but I'll assume networks avoiding election coverage.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I blame sports... They are always preempting my shows.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited November 2014
    It was only Tuesday, where I also missed Arrow and Agents of SHIELD (both awesome) due to the elections. Other than that it was a normal week. This time of the year is actually very annoying... I have to follow like six different programs at once.

Heindrich, you still have good taste, I see :) Is Gotham not on your viewing list though?

oh... also some shows take odd "mid-season" breaks (or as you would call it, "mid-series") in which they are gone for about 4-6 weeks. It is usually during the holidays where people spend more time with family and tend to watch movies more than TV shows. Keep in mind our seasons are generally longer than your series. Where shows like Case Histories (rest in peace :/) and Luther usually get six episodes we sometimes get up to 25.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

Heindrich, you still have good taste, I see :) Is Gotham not on your viewing list though?

@booinyoureyes‌
    Thx :) And no I don't watch Gotham.

I've never been a comics guy, or even particularly interested in the superhero genre until the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies came along. The Avengers was just incredible and most of the other movies were fun if not spectacular. I do like Joss Whedon's work, so I am optimistic about the MCU stuff.

As for the DC stuff, I checked out Arrow after seeing EmergencyAwesome reviews for it, and it is a really well made and fun show. I am watching The Flash primarily because it is kinda linked to Arrow, but so far, I haven't enjoyed it as much if I am honest.

It is kinda ridiculous how many comic book inspired TV shows have popped up all of a sudden, with even more coming. (Gotham, Constantine and a whole bunch of Marvel characters I've never heard of) So I've kinda drawn a line in the sand or I'm not gonna have time to do anything else! lol

Oh I also watch Once Upon A Time. Damn the power of American TV! lol I watch more American shows than British or Chinese.