Skip to content

Name That Alignment! (#3)

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited November 2014 in Off-Topic
Update: It seems @Anduin has followed my format a bit and given me some praise for it! :) So I am obligated to change my title (Name That Alignment! #3) from #2, so as not to hinder the significance of his thread at all! Which, by the way, you can find his right here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28684 :D

Well, it's been some time, but I have another (old) character of mine who I thought I had her alignment down, but these days I wonder whether or not I do :) I figured I'd start up a sequel to my last thread like this and see what the community has to say!

For reference, the original thread is linked below:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28642/name-that-alignment-1

I should start with a very summarized back story for this character, as I feel it might pour a little more into why she is the way she is. Also, be warned, there is a bit of a mature side to this topic involving adult themes, but it is who she is.

Anyway, one could easily slap the Lawful Neutral label on her straight away, as she is a simple, loyal, and dedicated warrior in her clan. She'd fight any foe, any enemy, her clan deemed to be a threat to its very existence, but other than her fierce loyalty and her disinterest in change in regard to the way her clan handles its affairs, her "Lawful Neutral-ness" begins to fade, for she eventually captures the eye of her leader's oldest son, just as he captures her eyes. However, at first she is only responsive because she is her leader's son, he is above her, so she must be subservient. However, his playfulness and flirtatious acts eventually win her over and she soon finds herself as deeply in love with the man as he is for her.

Their romance remains rather secretive, however, as one might imagine. They usually spend their time together at night and well away from prying eyes. It isn't all entirely scandalous though, for her lover's father has no real intent or plans of marrying him off to another clan or anything along those lines, and it isn't exactly against the law in her clan, just unheard of. To save his reputation and to prevent doubt being cast upon her loyalty and dedication as a soldier are more or less their reasons for keeping their relationship so secretive.

However, battle eventually rears its ugly head close to the borders of their clan. Her lover, as prince of the clan, is charged with the task of leading a force out to investigate the troubles. It is thought to be a minor disturbance and a perfect way to get the young prince's feet wet with leadership and other challenges he'll face when he eventually succeeds his father. As one would expect, too, his lover is selected to join him amongst many other soldiers to go into battle. She doesn't refuse, being the loyal soldier that she is.

The ordeal turns out to be a well organized ambush however, and the soldier's allies are cut down very quickly, inflicting little damage to the enemy. She ends up being the older survivor because a non-lethal blow renders her unconscious and her body cannot be so easily distinguished between dead and living among her many fallen comrades, including her love and her prince.

Perhaps a bit cliched, but the soldier ends up enduring a bit of amnesia and in her absence, while trying to find out who she really is and what happened to her, as well as why she came to among a score of dead bodies, her clan is conquered, her leader and all of the royal family are slain, and the civilians of her clan are as well as the clans' lands are annexed and force to serve their new masters.

As one might expect, many moons into the future, she does regain enough of her memory to remember enough of her past to seek answers. In doing so, with the aid of witnesses in the outlying areas, she learns of what happened, the death of her lover, her liege, the subjugation of her friends, family, etc. Desperate, but far from bull-headed enough to charge in on a suicidal attempt to free her people and to exact her revenge, she insteads begins a very devious, guerrilla campaign to rid her clan of the invaders.

Gathering allies by performing favors and deeds for some of the outlying residents, sneaking into her clan's lands at night to gather intel and exchange messages and plans, seducing single (or dual) patrolmen of the enemy so that she might ram a knife in their throat when they least expect it, assassinating patrolmen after drawing them away from their patrol if the situation calls for it, laying traps in the woods for the patrols after learning their movements, everything and anything her mind and body is capable of conjuring in order to weaken her enemy even if they'd soon learn something is out there killing their men, she does.

With that being said, she is not afraid to exchange her body for favors from those temporary allies who might be able to help aid her in her endeavor. Not that it's a lack of dignity or anything, but after learning of her prince and lover's death she feels entirely numb about it, and so long as the act/deed doesn't prevent her from being able to cut down her hated enemies, she doesn't care. She can always wash up later, suit back up, and get back to killing.

Eventually though, her enemy becomes far too wary of the many missing soldiers and sends out a large force to hunt down whoever is responsible. With the aid of some of her new allies, a significant trap is placed that allows her to cut down a great deal of the enemy so that her smaller force can engage and mop up the remains. She shows no mercy and cuts down all survivors, fueled by nothing but her hate and her lust for vengeance.

Retaking her homelands proves easier than expected with the loss of the main enemy force and her rag-tag guerrilla fighters manage to retake the clan's lands with the help of the seeds or rebellion she planted earlier when sneaking into her lands during the night. Soon, she finds herself face to face with the leader of her enemy's force after his guards are cut down and slain before him. Any attempt to cut a deal with her, or reason with her, is entirely fruitless and she doesn't bat an eye at the idea of ending his life right then and there in the most painful and slow way that her emotionally charged and unstable mind could think of at the time. It certainly could have been more brutal, mind you.

Despite her merciless mood, however, she does show mercy on one female captain of her enemy and she is taken prisoner rather than slain. Though initially, her efforts are appreciated by her clansmen and women who are now thankful to be free, the clan's new leadership isn't entirely impressed by the brutality of her efforts and soon comes to the conclusion that she might not be welcome on her home turf anymore, that she had become far too unclean, or tainted, by the decisions she made to achieve her goal.

Some bitter words are exchanged, with a healthy dose of threats to boot, but ultimately she decides to accept her fate and departs her clan for good, to try to live out her life as best as she can, having just lost everything that was dear to her.

The aftermath of it all leaves her with many skills and tactical understanding that is considered to be valuable by some and she find herself able to make her way in the word by doing odd jobs acting as a mercenary for those who need it. However, she does not hire herself out as an assassin if it can be helped and she often finds herself butting heads with her employers in more ways than one, as she still holds onto her former sense of honor and sees them as nothing more than low life scavengers without a home, clan, or duty to call their own, even if she is blind to the fact that she shares their fate in several ways.

I could continue with more, but I'm very interested in seeing what people might think her alignment would be, having read what I shared so far. I am sure additional information could change peoples' votes, but this is the main aspect of the character and I feel it should serve as more than enough information to act on. I still have my own opinion on her alignment, but I do think I might hold a little bit of bias as well as a bit of ignorance in regard to less than conventional alignments :) Also, I am conflicted, because many aspects scream Lawful Neutral, but her actions after her prince's death are very Chaotic. Tough call...

Thanks for reading and voting! I appreciate it.
  1. Name That Alignment! (#3)7 votes
    1. Lawful Good
        0.00%
    2. Neutral Good
      28.57%
    3. Chaotic Good
        0.00%
    4. Lawful Neutral
      14.29%
    5. True Neutral
      28.57%
    6. Chaotic Neutral
        0.00%
    7. Lawful Evil
      28.57%
    8. Neutral Evil
        0.00%
    9. Chaotic Evil
        0.00%
Post edited by Varwulf on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You should go for #3, since Anduin posted this one a week later your first one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28684.
    I'll give it a read later so I have an idea of what I vote :)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Although tricky to pull off, a Lawful Evil is always a fun angle to play.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    CrevsDaak said:

You should go for #3, since Anduin posted this one a week later your first one: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28684.
    I'll give it a read later so I have an idea of what I vote :)

Too right! Though I suppose I intended the numbering system to refer specifically to my own, I will have to take a look at that :) Thanks for the post!
    CoryNewb said:

Although tricky to pull off, a Lawful Evil is always a fun angle to play.

Haha, I have no doubt in my mind Lawful Evil would be a fun angle to play, but is that what you think my character is suited for based on the description? ;) In any case your input is hugely appreciated!
    The suicidal rage to free her people, tradi g her body for favors, and her killing to make ends meet. I think she may not think herself evil, but to the conquering clan she seems at least evil to them. As we all know, good and evil can be a point of view, but her hatred toward the conquerers and her leaving her clan could label her "evil" by plenty.

Its just the way I felt it. She does still have lawfulness, but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.
    CoryNewb said:

The suicidal rage to free her people, tradi g her body for favors, and her killing to make ends meet. I think she may not think herself evil, but to the conquering clan she seems at least evil to them. As we all know, good and evil can be a point of view, but her hatred toward the conquerers and her leaving her clan could label her "evil" by plenty.

Its just the way I felt it. She does still have lawfulness, but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

Well, I did specifically mention that she didn't blindly enter her lands with a suicidal rage but instead chose to plan and work with those in the outer reaches of her clan's lands to whittle away at their defenses first.

As well, I am sure the conquering clan would think of any who oppose them as evil, as any conqueror would view a rebellion as evil (or at least your typical conqueror).

I certainly am not questioning your choice, the whole point of this is to get many various opinions and view points, so I thank you for that :)
    No problem, I just wanted to take a different point of view on it. You don't have to agree or like it :) well written good sir.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    She uses any means necessary to free her people and accepted it without questionwhen they decided to turn on her for the methods she used to free them. sometimes the end justifies the means
    CoryNewb said:

No problem, I just wanted to take a different point of view on it. You don't have to agree or like it :) well written good sir.

I appreciate that, thank you :)
    wubble said:

She uses any means necessary to free her people and accepted it without questionwhen they decided to turn on her for the methods she used to free them. sometimes the end justifies the means

Also another interesting perspective, I can tell this is going to have a much wider variety of answers than my first one did :)
    A lot less discussion this time around, guess everyone is in the Dale about now :)