Skip to content

Return To Menzoberranzan - 1994 SSI game Reboot on IWDEE engine

SoulmarineSoulmarine Member Posts: 70
edited November 2014 in IWD:EE Mods

TEASER TRAILER

Some info:

[spoiler]
I am opening this thread just as teaser for my new project, and it's open for discussion

As you know I'm currently working on Frostwood GUI for IWDEE and Wood GUI For BG:EE, so this project is on wait until they are done !

I have learned a lot from Infinity engine so far, and I'm preparing a special treat for you!
After I am done with those GUI modification (I hope it will be done by the end of the year) , i have prepared a new project, (older AD&D gamers will love what i am preparing)

Project will include new ui, new setting, new areas, new updated assets, new graphics, and ofc new/old story ;)
I have done some assets, scripting & 2D/3D graphic so far for this project :) as a proof of concept test...

Now back to frostwood creation... :) , see you later after I'm done with Frostwood project

Update:

So.... what is in plan for this project so far??

Story - Done, but it need to be tweaked
NPC/PC Portraits - They have to be redrawn to HD from 1990's Pixel art
Buildings - 50+ unique HD buildings rendered from 3D to isometric 2D (exterior & detailed interior)
Terrain(landmass) - New unique 3D terrain rendered to isometric 2D
Trees & Flora - New HD trees,flora & mushrooms rendered from 3D to isometric 2D
GUI - New GUI interface, with new GUI sounds
New HD FX - Only for bad ones from Vanilla engine like fire, etc...
New Areas - Yes ~20 main areas (not counting sub areas & buildings)
New HD WorldMap - Yes

New Audio Dialogs - Perhaps, but not possible yet at this project stage, unlikely....
New Music - Perhaps (need to be redone from original midi samples)
New Movies - Yes

New Items - Yes (if needed)
New Spells - Yes (if needed)
New Weapons - Yes (if needed)
New Classes - No
New Playable Races - Yes
New Enemies - Yes

Minsc & Boo?? - No :(((((( QQ
Hours of awesome roleplaying - Yes :)

So far i have done some 2D & 3D concept art for Areas, Buildings, Gui, Terrain Landmass, Trees & Flora, Spell & FX animations,as a test, and i think i can handle all the 2D/3D graphics for this project.
(I will need help with NPC portraits redesign)

[/spoiler]
Expect first alpha gameplay trailer in a few months
For now this project is on Hold,and only concepts are being made....
I have 2 more small projects to finish before i can start this project!!
Please be patient this is not a small project

Yes i know this is pretty ambitious project, but i have free time to do it....

Thanks

Keep calm and roll a d20 ;)

Post edited by Soulmarine on

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Awesome! I loved this game as a teenager. If he's still around, I wager @jacobtan‌ will find this welcome news.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Dude!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    sounds ambitious. Call me cynical but a lot of big announced projects for BG were never completed... I hope you can make it happen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited November 2014

Dude!

Just... dude!

Maybe now we speak in this thread with the future Beamdog developer.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • WOW this is great. I never played the old games (I was to young to understand BG when it came out, english was to hard) but I love to play it.

@Soulmarine If you need help modding (you know creating items or other time consuming work) I and others can help.
  • SoulmarineSoulmarine Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2014
    @artificial_sunlight , Thanks for the help
    At some time of development i will need some help and i will have mod recruitment for this project announced in this thread.
    At this stage of development 2 people are working on this.
    For now this project is on Hold,and only concepts are being made....I have 2 more projects to finish before i can start this project!!
    More info soon
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    @Soulmarine That's a sweet-looking GUI for the Mod Launcher! It'll be great when it supports more mods, and I can't wait for RTM to come out. I've been keeping track of this thread for a few days now and reading about your mod makes me want to track down Menzoberranzan and hope it plays on modern systems!
    edited November 2014
    @swifty_Magee
    Yea, was playing (studying it) through Dosbox.... it works like a charm.
    For now this launcher will support only my Mods, but i will release Launcher Source Files to public some time in future.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    will the mod include the original game's dialogue audio? that'd be sweet. i guess it can be filtered to make it sound less grating.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    jackjack said:

Awesome! I loved this game as a teenager. If he's still around, I wager @jacobtan‌ will find this welcome news.

Didn't expect to be referenced after I decided I was done with the EE and pretty much the forums as well.

To answer your question, no. I liked both Ravenloft games, but not Menzoberranzan. But I'm sure there are enough fans here to warrant a remake :)
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    a gui mod launcher is a good plan.....me likes!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2014
    This app is a Mod launcher/updater for my projects,and for now it works only for IWDEE & my projects only
    So what it does when you put it in your IWDEE folder & run it?

simplified

1.On start or "Update menzoberranzan".. it download/update latest RTM:EE to override_rtm folder

when you press"play menzoberranzan"
    2.It checks for current override folder, if exists, it rename it to override_iwdee
    3.It renames override_rtm to override
    4.It start the game

when you press"play icewind dale"
    2.It checks for current override folder, if exists, it rename it to override_rtm
    3.It renames override_iwdee to override
    4.It start the game

When you run app there will be fresh news/update log on left side that are loaded from my server

Current app version is hardcoded for my mods only , but i will release in the future version with external config file so you can use this (for your projects) for any infinity engine game & mod

Current Launcher is 100% done & working...it was easy to create this app
    I will not release this launcher , until i have working alpha of RTM:EE, and i must add external config support and savegame (same as override case) support to it.
    I hope this info helps.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    update?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    come on man, give us some screenshots..... pleeeease?
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55
    I had this one when I was young and played for ours. I remember the very beginning where a barn was on fire and you had to run after buckets of water. Drizzt also appeared somewhere there.

I also had two other Forgotten Realms name but I don' t remember their names. The one with the mummy and the other with the vampire.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

I had this one when I was young and played for ours. I remember the very beginning where a barn was on fire and you had to run after buckets of water. Drizzt also appeared somewhere there.

I also had two other Forgotten Realms name but I don' t remember their names. The one with the mummy and the other with the vampire.

I believe you mean both excellent Ravenloft games, Strahd's Possession & Stone Prophet :D
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I never played this game, but you've piqued my interest.
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55
    jackjack said:

I believe you mean both excellent Ravenloft games, Strahd's Possession & Stone Prophet :D
    That's right! :smiley:

Stone Prophet I could finish but got stuck in some castle in Strahd's Possession.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    sooooo
  • saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    omg I want this! Where can I download and when is it done?
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    I need this in my life.
    The thirst is real!