Skip to content

Return To Menzoberranzan - 1994 SSI game Reboot on IWDEE engine

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2016

jackjack said:

But the nature of the engine invites heavy use of unoptimized code templates, which naturally leads to unoptimized processor and GFX card usage, resulting in turn-based isometric games that regularly run i7 processors and 1GB graphics cards at 90-100 degrees C at low to medium settings. I don't really need a brush-up on my tech facts, but thanks for the link :)

There is no supporting (read: non-anecdotal) evidence of such a conclusion.
    There is in fact years' worth of evidence showing that code templates chew through enough resources to make a server sweat. They contain a lot of superfluous, inefficient instructions. My own five years as a database dev taught me to hate them. I mean, those guys essentially hired me to avoid using them.
    Unity's code is not magically different from other programming languages. In fact many of its templates are C# based, which is known to facilitate this issue.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    jackjack said:

There is in fact years' worth of evidence showing that code templates chew through enough resources to make a server sweat. They contain a lot of superfluous, inefficient instructions. My own five years as a database dev taught me to hate them. I mean, those guys essentially hired me to avoid using them.
    Unity's code is not magically different from other programming languages. In fact many of its templates are C# based, which is known to facilitate this issue.

Why the hell didn't you lead with this, instead of your anecdote? And, yes, I know all of this. It doesn't change the reality that it's a great engine.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I didn't think I needed to go into that kind of detail, and I hate sounding pedantic. Agree to disagree, but I dearly hope Beamdog gives Unity a wide berth. Myself I'm pretty much done with the engine, except in those rare cases where the devs will take the time to really delve into its potential. I won't hold my breath.
    jackjack said:

except in those rare cases where the devs will take the time to really delve into its potential. I won't hold my breath.

And this is where the engine shines like gold.

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I just want to play a good 5e game regardless of mod capabilities.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2016
    Hey, I just wanted to thank the author of this mod for doing a large Quest Mod for IWD. IWD has a lot of potential, and often times it is overlooked for BG in mind. Keep continuing what you're doing, and never give up. I really wish people do more Quest Mods for IWD..it has the potential to be a Grand Adventure itself just like how Spellhold Studios saw potential in BG.

EDIT:
    I didn't read the whole thread, and looks like the situation changed for the developer.
    Kaliesto said:

EDIT:
    I didn't read the whole thread, and looks like the situation changed for the developer.

That always happens with these megamods. One person gets this "great idea", but they don't realize the work involved. And then the mod never even launches. Not even an alpha.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Kaliesto said:

EDIT:

That always happens with these megamods. One person gets this "great idea", but they don't realize the work involved. And then the mod never even launches. Not even an alpha.
    I hope this doesn't happen to EET. There was a version that worked for a hot minute with that though I guess.

I totally called this being too grand for one dude on page 1 of this thread. He shoulda aimed lower, achieved something, and then built on that imho instead of aiming to design a while new game. By himself.

I hope this doesn't happen to EET. There was a version that worked for a hot minute with that though I guess.

EET, as I understand it has a team of folks working on it. That makes it more viable.

I totally called this being too grand for one dude on page 1 of this thread. He shoulda aimed lower, achieved something, and then built on that imho instead of aiming to design a while new game. By himself.

Exactly. It's too much work for 1 person.
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    any updates about this?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its dead as far as anyone can tell unfortunately.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Maybe some day...
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    ThacoBell said:

Its dead as far as anyone can tell unfortunately.

That's sad. I am sad.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The op started several very promising projects around the same time, and then kinda disappeared. Probably tried to do too much and burnt out hard.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    too bad...
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    it sounded good too
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The engine still has lots of potential for things like this. Only artwork is the big hurdle far as I can tell.