Skip to content

Zero visual improvements?

Comments

• Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Nathan said:

The bottom line for me here is that if you don't think the visual improvements are enough - cool, feedback received, thank you for expressing your opinion in a calm, collected way, and I totally respect that. I wish we could do more, and we'll keep working on improvements that make sense.
    If you're here for reassurance, then, I can honestly assure you that we're doing what we can to make the game look great at every resolution we can. Will it be perfect? Of course not, we're working with 14 year old material.
    If you're here to say you're not going to support us, well, alright! That's totally your choice, and I hope you change your mind later once you've had a chance to see what we've accomplished in action.edit: formatting

See, the thing is, if we were talking about Shadows of Amn, it'd be a moot point--I'd buy it anyway. BG2 was a fantastic game. The original Baldur's Gate? It was good, but not great. Not by a longshot. So, yeah, I guess I'm looking for re-assurance.

I've been following the EE from day one. Hell, from before day 1--from withing a few hours of the domain being registered. And from the begining, you guys have stressed a number of things, first and foremost in my mind being getting these old Infinity Engine games up and running at high resolution with a new UI.

And I've been waiting and waiting to see that in action.

First, we got some promo images. Of iPads. With the game running, leaving us to try and guess whether or not we were looking at an early build of bgtutu or just a screenshot being displayed on the iPad. Then we got actual screenshots... with no UI and at a low resolution.

I will be buying the game. Period. Even if it's an awful, intolerable mess, I will be buying it, if only to help demonstrate the demand for classic CRPGs.

But you have to realize that, to me, as a consumer, it is extremely worrisome to have this game be in the news for so long and to, after so long, and so close to the expected release date, not see ANY screenshots at a modern resolution or to see ANY screenshots of the new UI.

It's worrisome. And if it worries a die-hard fan like me, what might others think?

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I thought everyone here was a die hard fan, you can't please everyone and I think most people here are still really excited about this project.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    At least BG1 had better avatars for characters :P
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    At least BG1 character animations weren't mirrored... /recoils in horror
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2012
    Nwm. Delete if you will.

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Dont speak ill of my beloved BG1!!!!!
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    People, stop whining and wait for more concrete information. Really, some people would decide not to buy the game for the slightest thing they deem 'wrong' and cause a whole drama about it. *sigh* A bit more faith in Oster's team would be greatly appreciated instead of nitpicking their every move.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664

But you have to realize that, to me, as a consumer, it is extremely worrisome to have this game be in the news for so long and to, after so long, and so close to the expected

Umm How long? I didnt find out anything at all about this project till
    March or April this year I think....thats only 5 or 6 months...which is nothing compared to a new product being in the works for years...... Guess Im asking just when did this project become public knowledge?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It was around March. I know, because I was getting ready for my wedding, and suddenly this came up and...well, you know. :)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950

But you have to realize that, to me, as a consumer, it is extremely worrisome to have this game be in the news for so long and to, after so long, and so close to the expected release date, not see ANY screenshots at a modern resolution or to see ANY screenshots of the new UI.

It's worrisome. And if it worries a die-hard fan like me, what might others think?

Worry? Really? Don't worry, be happy.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Arsene_Lupin It's not that they don't want to release screenshots its that they have to get them approved by WotC etc. Trent has been talking on twitter for the last 2 weeks about how they have stuff they want to show but can't yet because they need approval first. there was also a significant amount of time that Trent spent trying to fix the UI.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    edited August 2012
    I think something to consider is, this isn't a AAA game. This is a relatively small project, being done by a small group of people. Most mainstream giant games are done within like, 4 months of the game being released. The rest of the time is testing, DLC, marketing, and what have you.

But with this, EE probably JUST got 100% completed in its entirety (as of August 26th). This isn't a massive title, it's just a small remake project.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200

But with this, EE probably JUST got 100% completed in its entirety (as of August 26th). This isn't a massive title, it's just a small remake project.

A small remake project of a massive crpg title. And from what I have read on forums/twitter/etc. another thing that raises the stakes, is the fact that they have to bridge this 10-15 year gap, with all the win95/98 horrors and such. On top of that, this isn't just a massive crpg title, this is considered one of the best in its genre. So I understand why people have high expectations and are following the project closely, and eager to see some results prior to release date, in the form of screenshots, gameplay trailers, etc.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Can we have a 'new' screenshot with the player interface On in 1920x1080 just to see the potential?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

Can we have a 'new' screenshot with the player interface On in 1920x1080 just to see the potential?

Yeah, that would be nice.
    CCarluNN said:

A small remake project of a massive crpg title. And from what I have read on forums/twitter/etc. another thing that raises the stakes, is the fact that they have to bridge this 10-15 year gap, with all the win95/98 horrors and such. On top of that, this isn't just a massive crpg title, this is considered one of the best in its genre. So I understand why people have high expectations and are following the project closely, and eager to see some results prior to release date, in the form of screenshots, gameplay trailers, etc.
    Not only that, but porting it over to Tablets is a BIG move. If they get it right, it will usher in a new wave of remakes.

I think something to consider is, this isn't a AAA game. This is a relatively small project, being done by a small group of people. Most mainstream giant games are done within like, 4 months of the game being released. The rest of the time is testing, DLC, marketing, and what have you.

Interested in where you get these time projections. I know my company and how product schedules work and while not GAME oriented it is software. Either my company is enormously less efficient than a Gaming company of something is out of whack with the timing. (I have to say it usually takes us 2 months just to get the teams organized and functioning properly)

Not positive but I think Trent said it wouldnt be likely to get new screen shots before release day....I could be wrong but I think I remember that.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Probably going to get accused of trolling, but I'm curious as to why anybody needs a screen cap. We know what this game looks like, already. Anti-liaising will clean some things up, but this is familiar ground. I did hope for an HD experience (they were calling it BG HD - either the press or BeamDog - a few months back). It's going to probably be midway between my ideal and the original outing.

Will there be zero visual improvements (title of this forum): no. Calling it that would be an 'under'exaggeration. Will it look like Titan's Quest or newer? No. That would be a far greater project in scope, scale and cost.

For those that do want screen captures, I recommend not pre-buying and waiting for three weeks, give or take a day or so. See what others say, what the publisher reveals and whether you have a little coin to spare. Nobody on earth will ever force you to purchase this game.

I pre-bought, if only to encourage the work being done to this point. Looking forward to re-visiting The Sword Coast next month.
    NEED may be too strong a word, people are just anxious and are having trouble waiting for the product..its a product how we have become unable to delay gratification and want to scratch the itch so to speak.
    It's going to be $10 for iPad, day 1 buy for me!
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Well, a good and sharp high resolution screenshot is at least in my opinion the minimum which should at least be available before something is released.

Or have you ever seen for example some normal company not presenting what they created in the first place and instead told their customers "buy or do not"?

While we do have some lower resolution screenshots which are as it seemed from a "not really "finished final Version EE" - Some HQ Screenshot should be posted at least some time before the EE is released.

Because possible Buyers want to see something. And it increases also the reputation btw. :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Mornmagor said:

If you say so...Honestly can't stand the IWD1/BG1 sprites.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Didn't they say the UI was one of the toughest nuts to crack? I imagine they don't want to show it before it's actually done.

Mornmagor said:

If you say so...Honestly can't stand the IWD1/BG1 sprites.
    Well it's not like i can't stand the BG2 ones, but meh, they were even more pixelated, i have no idea how's that possible.

They were mirrored too :P

To each his own though :o
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Mornmagor
    As a lover of fighting games, I've been dealing with mirrored sprites all my life. Sagat's eyepatch switching sides is hardly a big deal.
    edited August 2012
    Maybe Sagat is pretending so you go easy on him and nothing is wrong with his eyes i say!

I always picked Blanca so i could hax the game with electricity btw :p
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    It is definitely our hope to provide you all with some more hi-def screenshots prior to ship. Just be aware that it might be a little while yet - anything we want to post publically in terms of game assets and the like has to go through a pretty exhaustive approval process first. We'll share as soon as we can.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    My crystal ball tells me that the game will be available before the screens. ^^