Skip to content

Zero visual improvements?

1235»

Comments

• Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    I had a feeling, but my thought was that surely no one would try to pass off a 'fake' image, because that would only prove harmful to the discussion.

I made a conscious decision to treat Kerozevok like an adult.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Let me get this straight. It's irresponsible of the developer to not show screenshots that aren't yet at their best? How is that irresponsible? I continue to maintain that they don't owe anybody screenshots and any pretense toward the opposite is ill informed. There is a cost to not releasing them in that some people will withhold judgment and $$$ for the product until they see it, but to presume that there is something nefarious in this is more a 'you didn't do what I'd like, so I'll make a stink about it' than anything else.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    @Arsene_Lupin Dont think he meant to offend you, it was just a joke.

Hell, I pretty much fell for it as well.
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2012
    @Kerozevok you really are funny, you had me in stitches the other day.

For who may have missed another of Kerozevok "art works" he posted this on another thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/67855/#Comment_67855

Edit: Added link to thread.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664

A few points:

1.) No one here, not in this thread, not in the forum, not in the whole of the Internet is making any claim or conjecture of conspiracy. Hell, I'd almost call the mere act of stating something like that a serious indicator of mental instability, or at the very least of massive reading comprehension issues.

I say almost because I think a civil discourse is important, and belittling people you disagree with is crude, crass and more than anything else--silly.

Congrats :-) You win the prize for the longest winded almost insult in my time here at the forum, just send me your name, address, phone number, Social Security Number, and date of birth and I'll get your prize to you ;) /humor
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @immagikman I think the term you're looking for is "passive aggression". ;)
    Aosaw said:

@immagikman I think the term you're looking for is "passive aggression". ;)

That is actually an accurate assessment, but I was going for the humor not accuracy ;)
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Pre-loading starts within five days (9/11 at the latest), if you're tech savvy, you might take a peek in the data files before actually launching the game on the 18th.

...And that would appear to simply be a less-efficient arrangement of the standard GUI. The opposite of an improvement.

Can't say I'm surprised they didn't want to share it.

NEW GUI doesnt have to "LOOK" different it is the CODE to create it that is different..and if the code is upgraded properly Modders will be able to change it and lay it out how they want. In the OLD GUI it was fixed and hard coded and unmoddable.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    @immagikman But if the new GUI doesn't look any different than the old GUI there's no point in advertising a new user interface... so that reasoning doesn't quite hold up.

@Aosaw That's no accurate, either. To begin with, it wasn't passive at all. Nor was it particularly aggressive. The most appropriate term would be "thinly-veiled insult."

@immagikman (again) If you consider three sentences long-winded, you may want to stay away from games like Baldur's Gate.
    @Arsene_Lupin
    Seeing how wrong you usually are, I think Ill pass on taking advice from you if that is ok with you.
    Im pretty sure Im more qualified to pick the games Ive played for hundreds of hours.
    @Arsene_Lupin "thinly-veiled insult" is passive aggression. From Wikipedia:
    Passive-aggressive behavior is an umbrella term describing certain types of behavior in interpersonal interactions. It is characterised by an obstructionist or hostile manner that indicates aggression, or, in more general terms, expressing aggression in non-assertive, subtle (i.e. passive or indirect) ways. It can be seen in some cases as a personality trait or disorder marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed, resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.
    When a person talks around an insult, it's because they don't want to be accused of being insulting but still want to make the insult heard. It's aggressive behavior, couched in passiveness.

And rest assured, the new UI will look noticeably different. Mostly because it's being rendered at a higher resolution. You wouldn't want it to look completely different; it wouldn't be Baldur's Gate then. All that it needs to do is look like a better, more detailed version of the original.

As for the whistle-blowing theories, I invite you to read any one of Trent's tweets mentioning the amount of development that is still going on. If some of that work is being done on the UI, it's probably a good thing that we haven't seen the screenshots yet.

Especially with threads like this one floating around, talking about pessimistic expectations for the game's release.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'd rather not close this topic, but if its just going to be used for bickering that's what's going to happen.

Arsene_Lupin has made his point, there is no need for him to keep repeating it or for people to keep questioning it.
    And actually, I just spotted Phillip Daigle's screenshot announcement at the top of this forum. Hopefully that will satisfy any concerns.