Skip to content

Best of Everything Redux

So, earlier today I asked this same question about BG:EE, and it was answered surprisingly quickly. I was expecting a long drawn out discussion or something. There may still be some arguable points, but I think we've compiled a complete comprehensive list... So, now I am asking the same for BGII:EE.

For those of you who didn't see my other discussion, I am looking for the best of every different type of equip-able item in the game. The best of each type of weapon proficiency, the best of each armor type, the best of each accessory, the best of everything. What makes that item the best of its type? And where can the item be found? As a reminder (to myself, as much as you guys) here is the full list of what we're looking for.

Weapons
--Bastard Sword
--Long Sword
--Short Sword
--Axe
--Two-Handed Sword
--Katana
--Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjato
--Dagger
--War Hammer
--Club
--Spear
--Halberd
--Flail/Morning Star
--Mace
--Quarterstaff
--Crossbow
--Longbow
--Shortbow
--Dart (listed as a weapon, rather than ammunition, simply because there's a specific proficiency related to it)
--Sling

Armor
--Hide/Leather Armor
--Mail Armor
--Plate Armor
--Mage Robes

Ammunition
--Arrows
--Bolts
--Bullets

Accessories
--Boots
--Rings
--Cloaks
--Helmets
--Amulets
--Gauntlets/Bracers
--Belts
--Shields

Also, a note... I am looking for specifically items obtainable in Shadows of Amn (at least for now). I would like to know what the best of the best is in Throne of Bhaal as well, but I want to keep the two lists separate from each other. So, for now, let's focus on SoA... now, you are free to suggest items from either game if you want (no reason I can't start on the ToB list early), but please be sure to specify which game the item is obtainable in.

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    *sigh*
    I'm gonna try and keep to just SoA
    can't remember what was added by EE so this is mostly based on vanilla

jhor the bleeder +2
    the equalizer
    cutthroat +4
    stonefire+3/rifthome+3
    carsomyr(pal)/soulreaver+4 (other)
    celestial fury
    belm+2/defender+5 if you're a knobhead
    boneblade +4
    crom faeyr (what else?)
    blackblood+3
    spear+3 impaler
    wave +4
    flail of ages +3
    skullcrusher+3
    staff of the magi
    firetooth+4
    strong arm +2
    gesen bow
    pansy weapon
    everard's sling +5

Armour
    human flesh(evil)/ armour of the viper+5
    bladesinger chain/crimson chain
    Armour of the hart+3
    vecna's robe

accessories
    boots of speed
    ring of gaxx/ring of wizadry
    cloak of the sewers(stacks with other enchants)/cloak of displacement
    helm of balduran/pale green ioun stone/vhailor's helm
    amulet of power
    gauntlets of wesapon expertise/gauntlets of ogre power
    belt of frost/stone/hill giant strength or belt of inertial dampening
    fortress shield+3/sentinel+4/shield of harmony

that was tiring.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • SirxekoSirxeko Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be such an endeavor. I am just taking the completionists' approach to the game, I suppose. Wanting to get the best possible equipment in BG1 before moving to SoA, and wanting the best I can get in SoA before moving to ToB, and wanting the best possible in ToB before completing the game.
    wubble
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014
    Oops. Nevermind.
  • supposedlysupposedly Member Posts: 206
    I'd prefer Gnasher over Blackblood
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    How does the Equalizer work in EE? I remember running tests years ago and thinking the long sword Namara (sp?) did more damage than Daystar and the Equalizer. Even though those two had extra magical damage, it never showed up and the base damage from Namara would always do more. I had a Kensai use Kai and I would hit Korgan, a CE character. I know that Namara would hit for an extra two damage points over Daystar but I can't remember how it did compared to the Equalizer.

I know that the Daystar was fixed for BG2EE and it was probably the most useful long sword for me in soa when I had a charname that used that type of weapon. I never used the Equalizer in EE since I remember being completely underwhelmed by it in the original bg2.
    I think there was some bug in the original SoA where if you off handed the equalizer, the bonuses applied to the main hand.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited December 2014
    My version. Pretty similar to wubble's, but not identical.

Weapons
    Bastard Sword: Jhor the Bleeder +2 (vs. casters)/Blade of Searing +3 (vs. things that need +3 to hit)
    Longsword: Daystar +4
    Shortsword: Kundane +2
    Axe: Frostreaver +3 (melee)/Azuredge +3 (ranged)
    Two-Handed Sword: Carsomyr (paladin)/Soulreaver+4 (everyone else)
    Katana: Celestial Fury
    Scimitar: Belm+2
    Dagger: Pixie Prick +3 (melee)/Fire Tooth +3 (ranged)
    Hammer: Crom Faeyr
    Club: Gnasher +2 (vs. casters)/Blackblood+3 (vs. things that need +3 to hit)
    Spear: Impaler +3
    Halberd: Wave +4
    Flail: Flail of ages +3
    Mace: Improved Mace of Disruption +2
    Staff: Staff of the Magi (mage)/Staff of Rynn +4 (everyone else)
    Crossbow: Firetooth+4 (if you're willing to go to the stores outside Watcher's Keep before TOB)/Giant Hair Crossbow +3 (if you're not)
    Longbow: Strong Arm +2
    Shortbow: Shortbow of Gesen +4
    Dart: Asp's Nest +1
    Sling: Sling of Everard +5

Armour
    Light Armor: Human Flesh (evil characters)/Shadow Dragon Armor (everyone else)
    ---Note: Ankheg Plate should get a special mention here, as many characters normally restricted to light armor can use it.
    Medium Armor: Bladesinger Chain +4 (bards and multiclassed mages)/Crimson Chain +5 (everyone else)
    Heavy Armor: Red Dragon Armor
    Robes: Robe of Vecna

Accessories
    Boots: Boots of Speed
    Ring: Ring of Gaxx
    Cloak: Cloak of Mirroring
    Helm: Vhailor's Helm
    Amulet: Amulet of Power
    Gauntlers: Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise
    Belt: Belt of Frost Giant Strength
    Shield: Shield of Balduran (vs. beholders)/Shield of Harmony (vs. casters)/Reflection Shield +1 (vs. ranged)/Sentinal +4 (general use)
    JLeewubbleJuliusBorisov
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    @Jarrakul‌ Daystar is only +2 if you're not hitting evil creatures.
    For a non-caster, when I'm not fighting undead, I like using the amulet from the bonus merchants that give permanent protection from evil. It's worth an honorable mention.
    edited December 2014
    and Scarlet Ninja-to, and flail of easthaven also. "the best x" could also mention the second best, since often you can wield two :)
    Jarrakul
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    wubble said:

Pretty much what long swords are for is situational bonuses against certain enemies. There are so many +2 long swords in the game that give bonuses against certain enemy types. It's the hoarder's weapon of choice. :P
    wubbleFinneousPJJarrakulJuliusBorisov
    wubble said:

Very true, but it can hit things that need +4 to hit, and most enemies in the game are evil anyway. So, imo, it makes more sense to think of it as a +4 weapon than a +2 one.
    wubbleShikaoNimranJuliusBorisov
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited December 2014
    The longsword Blackrazor also demands a mention. It's a +3 weapon that has a large chance of healing 20 hp, draining 2 lvls from enemy and increasing str by 2 pips(stacks). But you don't get it until the very end of SoA, if you go the evil way with the hell trials.

2ndly, I'll bring up the 2-handed sword, the Silver Sword. Chance to slay enemies on hit. That says it all. Though 1-hit-killing guys like Firkraag is kinda anticlimactic, it's extremely funny when it happens. You get the 1st part(blade) from Saemon Havarian when leaving Brynnlaw with him, the 2nd part(hilt) when returning from Underdark, a githyanki party that ambushes you somewhere in Athkatla.
    Jarrakul
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    staff of the woodlands over staff of rhynn for me
    Yannir said:

2ndly, I'll bring up the 2-handed sword, the Silver Sword. Chance to slay enemies on hit. That says it all. Though 1-hit-killing guys like Firkraag is kinda anticlimactic, it's extremely funny when it happens. You get the 1st part(blade) from Saemon Havarian when leaving Brynnlaw with him, the 2nd part(hilt) when returning from Underdark, a githyanki party that ambushes you somewhere in Athkatla.

For some reason, I totally forgot about the Silver Sword when I was making my list. Yes, absolutely the Silver Sword is better (generally) than Soul Reaver. It is only +3, though, so there are a few enemies it won't work against.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited December 2014
    I also think that Arbane's Sword +2 is hands down the best short sword in SoA. The free action without haste limit is pretty great. You get it pretty early in too, 1 of the random Athkatla-bandit-ambush encounters. A good fight in other ways too. It may not do the most dmg but who uses short swords for dmg anyway?

Ooorr, like @Jarrakul mentioned, if you're willing to visit Watcher's Keep before ToB, get Short Sword of Mask +4. It can entangle enemies for 2 rounds which is awesome..^^ It also is upgradeable to +5 in ToB.
    lolien