Skip to content

Are YOU a neurotic RPG player?

kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
I recently read a fun article over at Game Informer with a list of ten signs you might be a neurotic RPG player. I'll list a couple which I may or may not resemble at times (I'm not telling!). You can find the rest at the link at the bottom of this post.
You’ll talk everyone’s ears off – multiple times – for fear of missing out on dialogue
If you’re an NPC, you clearly don’t have a lot going on in your life. If you did, you probably wouldn’t be standing around in the same spot all day long. Don’t be surprised when I systematically roll through your dialogue tree several times to ensure that I’m not missing on any scraps of your sob story or potential side missions. I won’t be convinced when you try to get me to leave by saying, “I have nothing left to say to you right now,” either. I’ll be back – you’re camped out next to the potion shop, after all – and you can bet that I’ll talk to you every time I restock on supplies.

Every active quest in your journal nags at your soul
Most quests fall into two categories: The ones that you’ve completed, and the ones that stare at you, piteously, taunting you with your inability to complete them. As you steadily finish them off, you only end up acquiring more along the way (remember that bit about talking to every NPC?). This is one of the reasons I flinch every time I pull up that menu. I only feel okay about leaving a village once all of my business is finished. There are a variety of reasons why I don’t finish every RPG that I start, and this is one of them. This is the kind of behavioral tic that can utterly paralyze me.

If an item isn’t nailed down, you’re going to take it with you – even if you’re not playing as a thief
I don’t even want to know how many pairs of calipers I ended up pocketing in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. They didn’t do anything but take up inventory space, but that didn’t stop me from filling my pockets with the stupid things. Until I figure out exactly what is and isn’t important, I’m going to suck up every item that crosses my path. And, in the case of those calipers, I might even do it after I figure out what is and isn’t important. If you ever find yourself in Cyrodiil and you’re in need of calipering, look me up. I’m the Khajiit who jingles like a sleigh when he walks.
From: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/11/25/10-signs-that-you-may-be-a-neurotic-rpg-player.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Just my luck!
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    OCD at its finest, yes sir.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Speaking of smashing crate, etc, early in DAI I always had Cassandra charging bull through them expecting items. When you get nothing it is an easy habit to break out of eventually though.

Also restarting character creation depends a bit. I usually spend hours in cc because I am not the best with most creators, and within the first 10 hours I am willing to restart. If there is an open cc command like Elder Scrolls I am willing to use it. Although I am not entirely satisfied with my DAI character I will not restart after 100 hours just because I want to change hair color and perhaps a few small changes. It is basically what I want. I wish games would stop with fancy cc backgrounds though. I thought my hair was darker than it ended up when I got in game.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I'm a dirty dirty thief and grave robber...for no reason other than personal gain.
  • plesples4cqlplesples4cql Member Posts: 42
    Gameinformer would say I am, certainly. I'm convinced this game is a good way to get over a lady. Just because it is 110% emersing. I think that counts.