Skip to content

Has anyone played Divinity: Original Sin?

CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
This game looks sweet. I haven't played any of the Divinity games, but it looks fun. Has anyone played? Can you compare it to a somewhat common RPG? (I'm not that hardcore of a gamer). IGN gave it 9.0 but you can't really trust them... What say you forum?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited December 2014
    I haven't played it but a lot of the reviews on steam compare it to BG2 which is high praise indeed.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I really liked it.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I did. It's great!
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    How many hours? Any replayability? Thanks for the help!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    For me, ten hours, but only due to a virus on my computer (not related). It's definitely replayable. I literally could not decide which class to start as. I played a little through all of them and couldn't keep from restarting just to try a new class...like BG.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I really liked it as well. I'm not sure about the hours, but lots. Took me literally months to complete with my schedule. In terms of character customization there's definitely lots of replayability.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    I haven't finished it yet so I don't know the hour work.It is a fun game at most , so you may waste a lot of time travelling around in beautiful music and fun combat ventures.

In summary :

1) The story put-out is lame and not-classy. It's kind of you expect from Divinity , however ; and definitely not intervening the gameplay. It's just not as "ooooo" as some work out there like Dark Souls and Final Fantasy. This is the kind with the Divinity games , I actually prefer it sometimes because it has humor in it. Depends on your mood.

2) The character build-up forces you into little options at the start. How the ever , the branchability is so great , you can easily branch out as a fighter if you start as a mage , etc. The game handles this excellently , but again this takes the classiness you would expect , if you are into more serious gaming. Because it makes the game very easy after a moment.

3) The extras that are in the game are unique. Now , this is where the game shines. For an example you can use water surfaces by exploding some water barrels and light them up with chain lightning , etc. You can hunt for treasures as well picking up some maps. I remember I patiently barged a door at the beginning of the game by fire-fisting it , and waiting to burn. It feels good when you try to cheat out the game , when the game itself supplies you different alternatives that you can abuse. I call these extras because they are not common in RPG games.

4) There are many nice atmospheric scenes in game , plus good philosophic references. The item layout is similar to Diablo 3 , and if you have played original Divinity as well , you shouldn't be out of a clue from the early.

5) I didn't touch the game for so long , because I just don't want to play any games for long time. The game is not certainly as inviting as an Alien:Isolation , but only because the difficulty drops far quicker than I expected. I advise you to start at the hardest difficulty , because you won't be enjoying much of that last.

The game is a great attempt overall , because it is courageous. Don't bother much , though , if your interest fades away at some point.

I definitely would recommend original Divinity ( Divine Divinity ) atop this one , if you are looking for hand-drawn nice looks. The second one was untested I think ( The two souls thing ) , and Original Sin is a great game to figure out. No walkthrough/tips/hints are also advised.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I hear the multiplayer is good and the mods are really good. I've got two friends that have it but I'm too busy playing IWD.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I spent a lot of time with it, and I posted about my mixed feelings in the old thread. In the end, it could not hold my interest, and I abandoned my most advanced run without ever finishing it. Something about it was just not engaging enough for me, either as a roleplaying game or as a strategic turn-based game.

It may be better now, since it has had some updating that supposedly includes at least one or two new npc's. (Real ones, not the generic laundry list of non-speaking ones included in the original game.)

Honestly, I wound up regretting my original purchase of it at full price. I think it would definitely be a good purchase at a discount, just to see if you like it. It's got good graphics, art, music, and gameplay, together with lots of character building paths and turn-based tactical combat.

It just lacked that "je ne sais quoi" for me, and started to bore me by early mid-game. Again, I've already bought it, so I have it on my gaming "back burner" as something I might go back to eventually, especially since it's been updated since I tried it and wound up not liking it.

Btw - the "rock, paper, scissors" ridiculous attempt at implementing role-playing needed to go. I hope they got rid of it, as it was so awful that it was definitely almost a deal-breaker for me.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Tbh, I found this game to have the constant restartitis factor up until I found the Shadowblade class. You want a mage/thief hybrid, that class is the way to go.

I love the turn based combat system. It kind of helps me with my tactics abilities the same way that RTS games do.

Like @BelgarathMTH‌, I think the "rock, paper, scissors" part of the conversation when two characters disagree is ridiculous. So, I usually press the skip button and live with the consequences. Sorry Victoria. Last time I checked a good way to make sure you win is to have high charisma. I could be wrong though.

Having two protagonists instead of just one is kind of interesting some of the time. Especially when they get into arguments and have to use the rock, paper, scissors system to make them get along. /sarcasm.

Seriously, I once had a set of characters that were usually alike when it comes to certain things, and then they would start arguing. It made me laugh a lot. I'll admit it.
    Thanks for all the responses guys, seems like overall it's a pretty good game. Will it run on a new laptop with an integrated graphics card?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    CField17 said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, seems like overall it's a pretty good game. Will it run on a new laptop with an integrated graphics card?

@CField17‌
    I doubt it but you could always check at http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2014
    I bought this at substantial risk because it was nearly-half off on GOG a few nights ago for a few hours. My laptop is nowhere NEAR the minimum specs for the game but it seems to run just fine on the absolute lowest settings, though load times are lengthy.

As for the game itself, I have only just started investigating the murder in town and returned from the delightful trip to the frayed edges of time and I have to say....it's fantastic. This game has so much flavor, there is hardly a nook or cranny in the entire first city that isn't worth exploring. I've only had two very short, easy fights but the combat system if fairly great as well. Not perfect, but damn good. I haven't even opened the pages on crafting, most items, and a fight beyond a group of orcs, but it's already got me hooked.

I can see why this game drew so many comparisons to the BG Saga, it's obviously it's spiritual successor, much like Legends of Grimlock is to Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder, and Lords of Xulima is to Might and Magic.

On one hand, it's heartening to know that the success and praise Divinity: Original Sin is getting/having is going to possibly bring more people to check out Pillars of Eternity. On the other hand, it's going to be very hard for them to top this, though that really isn't the issue or goal in the end. The fact is that we are living in what could very well be a golden renaissance for the CRPG genre.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    this game is more like ultima than baldur's gate imho. it's also mostly like the original divine divinity except for the combat which is a bit strange. the high-damage combat definitely has a modern roguelike feel except it's more nuanced because of action points.
    @bob_veng‌ Well it's definitely more BG1 than BG2
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I've bought it, but couldn't find time to play it :\
    bob_veng said:

this game is more like ultima than baldur's gate imho. it's also mostly like the original divine divinity except for the combat which is a bit strange. the high-damage combat definitely has a modern roguelike feel except it's more nuanced because of action points.

You're quite right about this actually. A far more apt comparison IS Ultima VII, just based on the interactivity with the world. EVERYTHING has a purpose or use, or at least flavor text.
    edited December 2014
    Thanks guys! I will get this game soon, but first I have to purchase a gaming laptop... I have another going regarding suggestions, if anyone has any please post!
    CField17 said:

Thanks guys! I will get this game soon, but first I have to purchase a gaming laptop... I have another going regarding suggestions, if anyone has any please post!

Here's the deal with this. For some reason this game has some pretty high system requirements, at least in regards to what I currently have, which is a fairly low-end machine (hence why I play alot of old games). I can't speak for how it will run on other systems, but I took a risk and bought it the other day banking that I would be able to run it on the bare minimum settings. It takes awhile to load the areas on start-up, but the game seems to me to play fine. I'm not even in the ballpark of what it's requirements are as far as I can tell.
    I can understand not wanting to risk it though, I held off a long time before just taking the dive.

edited December 2014
    get a quad-core intel with discrete graphics and fast storage (at least a 128gb ssd to install games on). this configuration in a laptop doesn't come cheap unfortunately but anything less is definitely unfit for 'gaming' (in a broader contemporary sense).

when it comes to the real high-end, this is INCREDIBLE value: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/gigabyte-p35w-v2-1242150/review
    you can't assemble a desktop pc with similar components for that amount of money (~1500$).
    This comp isn't available on amazon... why not? I did find it here

http://www.adorama.com/GIP35WV2CF5.html
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2014
    bob_veng said:

when it comes to the real high-end, this is INCREDIBLE value: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/gigabyte-p35w-v2-1242150/review
    you can't assemble a desktop pc with similar components for that amount of money (~1500$).

You can definitely build a desktop that would outperform that for less money.

Edit: This doesn't necessarily mean that that laptop doesn't have good value, but for any laptop you're always going to be paying a premium for portability.
    edited December 2014
    okay...you could get a better graphics card but that's about it.
    edit: and better ram...

but notice taht i wasn't saying "general performance" just similar components. laptop variants of the same-class components are understandably weaker.

btw did you notice this:
    "Storage:
    2 x 128GB LiteOn LMT-128M6M solid state disk in RAID 0 configuration plus 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 7,200rpm hard disk"
    edited December 2014
    If we are considering desktop components in the "same class", then I guess they'd be a i7-4790 and a GTX 970.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XVzzWZ

This includes everything the laptop has, including a monitor, for ~ $100 cheaper. And it would of course significantly outperform the laptop.

Edit: And there's probably room to shave the price down a little further yet.
    @TJ_Hooker No way. The 870M is about equal to a desktop 750 (Ti), while the mobile 2.5 GHz i7 is unlikely to match a desktop 3.4 GHz i5.
    edited December 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

If we are considering desktop components in the "same class", then I guess they'd be a i7-4790 and a GTX 970. [< yes that's exactly what i meant]
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XVzzWZ

This includes everything the laptop has, including a monitor, for ~ $100 cheaper. And it would of course significantly outperform the laptop.

Edit: And there's probably room to shave the price down a little further yet.

okay, you're right and i'm wrong. in my country the prices are different...

that laptop is still great tho.
    edited December 2014
    @FinneousPJ‌ read bob_veng's post I was replying to. I wasn't going for equal-performance components (which is why I said that the desktop would significantly outperform the laptop). I was going for components that represent the same tier/placement in their respective markets (mobile vs desktop). Both CPUs are current gen quad core Intels with hyperthreading. Both GPUs are 2nd tier Nvidia cards. Although seeing as how the GTX 800m series is no longer the current gen, I suppose a more comparable option for the desktop might have been a GTX 770.
    @TJ_Hooker That doesn't make a lot of sense, though. You should compare parts by performance, not names made up by marketers.
    that's debatable because it's not just made up names, it's the same technology scaled according to physical limitations of "computer size". on the consumer end it's taken that the difference in performance is made up by the convenience of portability.

your approach is more based on performance and mine is more technology-oriented but both make sense imo...especially if the end result satisfies the stated needs, in this instance gaming.
    only if we were talking lower tier components where the desktop might do the job and the laptop would (probably) not, it could be said that the latter is practically useless.