Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition 1.3 Release

Comments

• MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    Unfortunately, until @Dee or another in the loop decides to tell us, we have no way of knowing who we should direct our collective ire towards.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Mestar said:

That's fine and dandy for you, but there are people that have already paid for something that doesn't work right.

Aye, my commiserations to you. I agree with Adul on getting your refund. It's never alright to sell a defective product.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    Adul said:

Mestar said:

That's fine and dandy for you, but there are people that have already paid for something that doesn't work right.

I'm sure at this point it's quite reasonable to ask for a refund. If you play on Mac, you can then repurchase the game through the Beamdog website, or GOG, or Steam, all of which have gotten the update already if I'm not mistaken. iPad users are out of luck, it would seem.
    I would very much like to do what you're suggesting. But how can I actually get a refund from the app store? Or do I have to ask someone at Beamdog? @Dee ?

Crap. BGII 1.3 Update was Rejected some UIFileSharingEnabled key issue. We fix, then re-submit.

Ok, a technical problem. Well then I'm looking forward to play a UIFileSharingEnabled key issue-free version in 2 weeks, whereas you other people have to deal with that!
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Yeah, I think just ask Dee via PM or send Beamdog support an email explaining the situation.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    App Store refund requests have to go through the App Store; we don't have a way to touch those on our end.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited January 2015
    Ouch. Oh, well. Maybe still worth a shot.
    I already asked about the refund.

Apple said too bad, so sad.

Beam Dog pretty much the same, except passed a little of the blame onto Apple, by saying they have no way of knowing who actually bought the game through them.
    edited January 2015
    Well, ok (or rather not ok), it's a time here where I'm very tired, so I have to sleep over it.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    From Trent Oster on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/TrentOster/status/561292827569958913?p=v
    Crap. BGII 1.3 Update was Rejected some UIFileSharingEnabled key issue. We fix, then re-submit.
    Not sure what a UIFileSharingEnabled key issue is.
  • RokarusRokarus Member Posts: 21
    It's still showing up as 1.2 in the App Store, and I cant' download it onto my phone. What gives?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Rokarus said:

It's still showing up as 1.2 in the App Store, and I cant' download it onto my phone. What gives?

It's still stuck at version 1.2. After 14+ months, we still don't have a 1.3 patch for it, and that means it does not work on iPhones. What gives is that Apple changed their guidelines and apparently nobody bothered to read the changes or just didn't notice them.
    kcwise said:

Not sure what a UIFileSharingEnabled key issue is.

I'm not sure anyone knows what it is. I am curious though, and it would be nice to hear some of the details.
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    “Dear App Store customers,

We here at Beamdog are truly and profoundly sorry that so many of you have been frustrated and disappointed with your App Store purchases. We recognize that our partnership with the App Store has been, for too many of you, subpar at best. We’re continually striving to improve all aspects of our company, and we promise you we’ll work with Apple to make your experience better in the future. That said, if you're still not happy with your purchase, please get in touch with us, and we'll do everything we can to make it right.

Sincerely,
    The devs”

April fools.
    After a bit of research:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10767517/rejected-by-uifilesharingenabled-key-set-to-true

Essentially, Apple will reject a patch if the Devs enable the UIFileSharingEnabled key in the Info.plist, but they do not actually make it functional. If that's what occurred here, it sounds like an oversight.

This was always my concern - that it was so long since you sent BG2EE through the app store, the acceptance rules were bound to have changed, but we had no idea where the axe might fall (2 OS releases on Mac, and counting. I think just the one on iOS so far...)

This is a fantastic point and a solid argument for slightly faster patch cycles (not a bunch of hot fixes that lead to new bugs, but maybe 9 months would be better).
  • LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member Posts: 22
    Dee said:

Our plan is to fix the problem and then resubmit.

Oh please Dee, at least do us the courtesy of giving your customers some transparency. How long will this fix take? When will the resubmission take place? What was the turnaround time for this latest rejected submission?

Such a statement of the obvious does Beamdog no favours at all
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @LucianNailor -If Dee just got the rejection notice on Friday and posted here straight away, it is unlikely he will know how long a patch will take. Hopefully it is something that can be turned around quickly, but until you jump into the code, you never know for sure. The Apple submission process is also not a guaranteed response time, but seems to take around 10 business days at the moment (following BG progress). That fluctuates up and down depending on how many other folks are also filing new products and patches for the stores.

So my guess is don't expect to see an update on the store in less than 2 weeks, unless we get really lucky with the Apple timeline. It may be longer if, on investigation, the bug proves tricky to solve.
  • furyswefuryswe Member Posts: 3
    I think they should test everything and make a list. Not just take the first error they see and send it back. Thats very lazy and sloppy. This is not the Apple I know and pay good money for using their products.
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    I'm surprised Beamdog hasn't offered us Apple Store customers a free download from their (Beamdog's) site. They've already gotten our money and it would cost them nothing and just about give us what we want. Plus, then those of us who complain publicly would probably stop. ;)

(That's not why Beamdog should do it — they should do it because customer support matters and they've left us hanging in that regard for over a year.)
    That really only helps App Store users if they're playing on a computer. iOS users would be left out in the cold again.
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    Adul said:

I think the decent thing to do in situations like this is to give those customers who have purchased the game through the app store access to your own up-to-date version of the game through the Beamdog website.

atakdog said:

I'm surprised Beamdog hasn't offered us Apple Store customers a free download from their (Beamdog's) site. They've already gotten our money and it would cost them nothing and just about give us what we want.

Agree x 1,000,000,000. It is 2015. Human beings have put robots on Mars and performed face transplants. I am 100% sure there is a reliable way to determine who bought what where. Offering us some form of replacement (for any and all MAS purchases, because I vote no confidence at this point) would indeed be the magnanimous choice. I cringed to see IWD:EE finally on the MAS yesterday, thinking of all the oblivious souls it might seduce. Come on, Beamdog: be the company we've always hoped you were.
    edited January 2015
    jackjack said:

That really only helps App Store users if they're playing on a computer. iOS users would be left out in the cold again.

This is correct, but I don't think it matters. The problem for iOS users is that without the Apple Store there is no way at all to get you the patched app. The problem for Mac users is different, and in my opinion even more vexing (but I can understand disagreeing with that last part): there IS a way to get us the patched game, but even though patches have existed for 14 months now they haven't gotten them to us. (Recall that with the last patch, they eventually admitted that it "seem[ed]" that it wasn't ever submitted to the Apple Store at all; having discovered that omission, their fix was to announce that they wouldn't fix it until 1.3 was written.) Neither group can run the app (iOS users at all; Mac users, only a version that is so buggy that it effectively doesn't work), but they have a trivial way to fix it for Mac users, and there is no reason not to do it.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I understand the sentiment of 'just giving MAS store customers' access to the BeamDog client, but I don't think it is that simple - Apple, not BeamDog, have those customer records. Apple have no interest in releasing those records, as in the grand scheme of all things Apple, BeamDog, and BG2 in particular, are very small fry. Making this happen, if it can happen at all, is going to take resources I would rather see focused on just getting the patch submitted and working. I suspect, given the lack of novelty in fixing and submitting a patch, that will still be the fastest way to get the product in our hands, frustrating as it seems.
    Frankly, that's BS. Yes, I agree that it might require work to work up a complete list; if Apple doesn't cooperate it might not even be possible. But it is very little work to give a download link to anyone who shows proof of purchase on the Apple Store. Given that they have certainly violated the laws of several states (which impose an implied warranty of fitness for every product) and are therefore liable to be sued if they keep this up, and more importantly, given that they have available to them a straightforward way to fix the problem for anyone who requests it, it would definitely be both the honorable and the prudent thing to do.
    edited February 2015
    Surely, Apple keeps tracks of who buys what and what has been bought. Can't be harder then copying and pasting the email. Reply to this email to get free copy from Beam Dog to download game from them. Said replied email is automatically forwarded to Beam Dog who then takes said email account and and adds game to account.

This is not a suggestion or anything of that nature. Just a "not as hard as you imagine" scenario.

Edit:

GreenWarlock, you're also assuming they don't "simply forget" to upload it to Apple again.
    Of course Apple knows, but as has been said, they're likely in no rush to reveal their customer list to anyone, much less one of the many thousands of app developers. That list is worth an obscene amount of money.