Skip to content

[Windows]「spell issues」(Minor)Globe /Static Charge /Star Metal Cudgel /panic enemy /spell disruption

SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
edited December 2014 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
Sorry for my bad english .... i'm not a native speaker T_T

IWD EE version 1.3.2058

----------------
1.) (Minor)Globe of Invulnerabllity

Both Globe spells have a lot of bugs

a ... Globe does not make caster immune to the follwing spells

-- Grease
-- Snilloc's Snowball Swarm
-- Fireball
(maybe more )

b ... Some spells will take affect if the caster casts them on herself while the Globe is active

-- Magic Missle

-- Melf's Acid Arrow
-- Agannazar's Scorcher

-- Ice Lance
-- Flame Arrow

-- Mordenkainen's Force Missles

(maybe more)

c ... It seems all benefit spells ( such as Shield 、Mirror Image、Invisbility ) can work properly even if the caster is under the effect of Globe spell

----------------
2.) Star Metal Cudgel( Drd4 )

a ... *Sometimes* when the spell wears off , it will leave druid empty handed and you can not equip her with any weapons because " Magical weapon in use "

b ... It seems the spell does not deal extra damage to Construct

----------------
3.) Static Charge( Drd 4 )

a ...An invisible druid will break her invisibility state when the automatic discharge hits the enemy

b ...I might be wrong , but it seems no matter how many times you cast this spell you can only get one discharge per turn

----------------
4.) Panic enemies

On many occasions panic enemies still attack my party

----------------
5.) Spell Disruption

It seems spells such as Sleep、Web、Stinking Cloud and Command can not disrupt emeny 's spell casting --- They may be temporarily disabled , but when the casters come back to “normal” , they will unleash the spell immediately without losing it
Post edited by Silvershadows on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Silvershadows,

1(a): I'll look into it and see what spells come under this effect.
    1(b): I believe effects from spells should work on the player character, when cast by the player character, while under the effects of Globe of Invulnerability.

2(a): Star Metal Cudgel—this was also reported here, but no further information was given at the time. Can you say whether or not you were using any mods, was your save game modified in any way? Did you save just after casting the spell? How often does this occur? What other spells or items were you using at the time?
    2(b): Tagged as bug #11060.

3(a)(b): both intended.

4: I believe it is intended that characters could, potentially, attack if a party member is close enough. (e.g. like being back into a corner) Are they ignoring the panicked state and walking towards you and attacking or are your characters close to them?

5: Not an issue either.
  • SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the reply : )

I play IWD EE without any mod

-------------------------------------

1(b): I believe effects from spells should work on the player character, when cast by the player character, while under the effects of Globe of Invulnerability.

spell discription from PHB

Minor Globe of Invulnerability
    (Abjuration)
    Range: 0
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: 5-foot-radius sphere
    Saving Throw: None
    This spell creates an immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere around the caster that prevents any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level spell effects from penetrating (i.e., the area of effect of any such spells does not include the area of the minor globe of invulnerability). This includes innate abilities and effects from devices. However, any type of spell can be cast out of the magica sphere, and these pass from the caster of the globe to their subject without affecting the minor globe. Fourth and higher level spells are not affected by the globe. The globe can be brought down by a successful dispel magic spell. The caster can leave and return to the globe without penalty. Note that spell effects are not actually disrupted by the globe unless cast directly through or into it: The caster would still see a mirror image createdby a wizard outside the globe. If that wizard then entered the globe, the images would wink out, to reappear when the wizard exited the globe. Likewise, a wizard standing in the area of a light spell would still receive sufficient light for vision, even though that part of the light spell volume in the globe would not be luminous.
    The material component of the spell is a glass or crystal bead that shatters at the expiration of the spell.

I think whether benefit or not the spell effects should be suppressed within the Globe

Here 's the screenshot

My wizard casts Spook , Ray of Enfeeblement , Blindness and Polymorph Other on herself

These spells do not have any effects on her

2(a): Star Metal Cudgel—this was also reported here, but no further information was given at the time. Can you say whether or not you were using any mods, was your save game modified in any way? Did you save just after casting the spell? How often does this occur? What other spells or items were you using at the time?

*Sometimes* it happened when area transition , open/close inventory and save/load game

3(a)(b): both intended.

3(a) When you first cast the spell it will reveal the caster , but the following " uncontrollable " discharges should not ---- like an invisible wizard cuts the rope while the enemies crossing the rope bridge , it is an indirect attack and shoud not break the invisible state

PS: It is very frustrated to find out that my Invisiblility 10'Radius or Pixie Dust spell is ruined by an "unintentional" discharge :(

4: I believe it is intended that characters could, potentially, attack if a party member is close enough. (e.g. like being back into a corner) Are they ignoring the panicked state and walking towards you and attacking or are your characters close to them?

The enemies are not cornered

They are ignoring the panicked state and walking towards my party and attacking even if all my people run away

For example : yetis in Lysan's Retreat or verbeegs in the Temple of Forgotten God keep attacking my party despite they are panicked by spell Horror

5: Not an issue either.

Due to my awkward english I did not explain it well :(

For example : Lysan Fight

While casting Silence Lysan was knocked unconscious by Stinking Cloud , but she did not lose her spell --- when she woke up , the spell Silence came out immediately even without casting time

All I intended to say is : if an enemy caster is disabled while casting a spell , the spell should be lost forever , but this does not apply to IWD EE

( Once again sorry for my bad english )
    Post edited by Silvershadows on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Troodon80 @Silvershadows

b ... Some spells will take affect if the caster casts them on herself while the Globe is active

-- Magic Missle

-- Melf's Acid Arrow
    -- Agannazar's Scorcher

-- Ice Lance
    -- Flame Arrow

-- Mordenkainen's Force Missles

(maybe more)

Despite the obvious use, these direct damage spells(among others) are not flagged as "Hostile"
    -likely because the damage itself will cause hostility anyway-

My wizard casts Spook , Ray of Enfeeblement , Blindness and Polymorph Other on herself

These spells do not have any effects on her

While these spells are all flagged as "Hostile".

Changing the Direct Damage spells to be flagged as "Hostile" fixes this inconsistency.

c ... It seems all benefit spells ( such as Shield 、Mirror Image、Invisbility ) can work properly even if the caster is under the effect of Globe spell

This is a by-product of beneficial spells bypassing Magic Resistance, which was an intended change from the original BG1 to BG2, IIRC.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Silvershadows,

@kjeron is correct. Beneficial spells will be allowed inside the globe, while hostile spells will fail to have any affect on the caster. This is how it is currently implemented. I will find all hostile spells not currently marked as hostile as part of 1(a).

2(a): Thank you for the details. I'll look into that.

3(a): While it might be frustrating, it is intended.

4: I'll take a look at panic. Does it only affect large creatures?

5: While it is an issue, it is not an issue that is likely to be addressed at this time (it would likely have wider repercussions without also changing a number of other things (which would probably also break something else)).
  • SilvershadowsSilvershadows Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2014
    @Troodon80 @kjeron‌

Thanks both of you :smile:

About Panic :

Here's some screenshot which I hope might be helpful

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Seems like they don't take into account that they are under the effects of Fear. I suspect it'll be their scripts or either the Fear opcode effect isn't working (this would be really weird). I've used Spook on the Ogre from the first Dungeon and he did run randomly without attacking.