Skip to content

idle questions

kaelinkaelin Member Posts: 5
Just picked up bgEE again to play and decided to make a new character.

Pally (cavalieer) 2 handed focus, as my character
was thinking
imoen (thief 6/mage x) since... well, thief thief. and to cover any magic dynahar can't do
kivan, because, kivan
minsc/dynahar because, boo :D
bran because, stray cleric

as a thought, does that party seem good or is there any 'weakness's'? I'm not going for 'max power' but looking for generalized 'overallness'

But yeah, I just was curious. Starting a new game and find myself with quarterstaves coming out the wazoo.

So I decided to decorate all the bookshelves with one.

What do you guys do with yours.. or do you just be a litterer and toss them on the ground?

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    kaelin said:

as a thought, does that party seem good or is there any 'weakness's'?

The one problem with that plan is that while Imoen is levelling up as a Wizard, she won't be able to make use of her thief abilities. Other than that you pretty much have your bases covered well. As for the quarterstaves, if you get the BG2 Tweaks mod, there's a component that will allow you to sell them for 1 gold each.

• kaelinkaelin Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2014
    hm... forgot that. maybe drop bran for a while and take... someone else as a thief replacement... well wouldn't she still ahve access to any skill points I have in like 'detect trap'?
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Don't worry. The party is good. Think twice though, about your plan with Imoen.

Your "generalized 'overallness'" would mean to keep Imoen as a fulltime thief. :wink: But don't forget that she cannot advance far enough to progress in all thieving skills anyway. First you will focus on finding and disarming traps unless you have a plan on how to avoid traps. And if you turn her into a mage at thief level 3 already, it's much easier to collect the needed experience points for her to regain her thief class. Quickly. Dual-classing her at level 4 would be the last good chance in my point of view.

If you want a pure thief, develop a plan on acquiring Safana asap. A plan is needed, or else you won't be able to finish her personal quest.

There are enough areas to explore and enough small quests to complete for the party to collect 10,000 XP, but thief 6 means you will need 60,000 XP for Imoen to become mage 7. A long time without access to her thieving skills.

Branwen is great. You can rescue her very early without any real dangers on the way.

Dynaheir is enough as the sole mage of your party.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited December 2014
    Also, if you plan to give a bow to Kivan, but don't like him that much (which I kinda doubt, but hey, just throwing ideas here), Coran just does the same plain better (except for the ac/hp, where he's a wee bit below, but nothing too harsh) aaaand also is a pretty good thief. If you get to him late he will be at 100 lock picks and 24 disarm traps with 3 levels of thief ahead, meaning he will only ever achieve 99 Disarm, if you don't give him the book of dexterity, at least. That might become a problem when exploring Durlag's basement?

Fortunately he's already sneaky enough to not need any more points in here if you give him the boots+armour of sneaky sneakiness.

He's also a tad more talkative. Whether it's for the best or not...
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited December 2014
    kaelin said:

well wouldn't she still ahve access to any skill points I have in like 'detect trap'?

Not until after she's reached one Wizard level above her thief ones. She'll be locked out of all thieving abilities until then.

• CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Chnapy said:

Also, if you plan to give a bow to Kivan, but don't like him that much (which I kinda doubt, but hey, just throwing ideas here), Coran just does the same plain better (except for the ac/hp, where he's a wee bit below, but nothing too harsh) aaaand also is a pretty good thief. If you get to him late he will be at 100 lock picks and 24 disarm traps with 3 levels of thief ahead, meaning he will only ever achieve 99 Disarm, if you don't give him the book of dexterity, at least. That might become a problem when exploring Durlag's basement?

Fortunately he's already sneaky enough to not need any more points in here if you give him the boots+armour of sneaky sneakiness.

He's also a tad more talkative. Whether it's for the best or not...

I have to disagree with you here. While Coran is an excellent archer (he currently has 1 thac0 for me right now), he leaves much to be desired in the disarm traps/lock pick department. Especially disarming traps. Potions of perception help here, but you will still come across some traps he won't see/will be unable to disarm, particularly in Durlags Tower.

I do think that another mage could be useful if you have Dynaheir, as she can't cast spells like hold person, dire charm, confusion, greater malison, or mental domination. This irks me, but I wanted to have Minsc, and I wanted to keep the natural pairs together.

As far as the OP's original question, Safana might be a better option as far as thief skills, and since you already have one archer in Kivan, she should substitute fine.

Good luck!

Yeah imoen was going to be mostly ranged/magic once I built her up... she seems a little squishy to be the 'dart in backstab and run' type...

now that i've thought about it... if I duel imoen at 6, drop bren and use my main pally as a 'backup' healer with those neat little spells of hers, plus a wealth of potions... pick up another 'nice' thief in the mean time... Yeah i might try that.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    On Coran's trapfinding abilities: In my personal opinion, if you don't need potions of perception to disarm some of the traps in Durlag's Tower, you're overinvested in find traps. ~85 points will leave you able to disarm all but three or four traps in the entire game, and for the rest you can chug a potion of perception. Three-ish potions just seems way less costly than another 20 thief points to me.

And yeah, I agree that the main weakness of the suggested party is the lack of a thief while Imoen's dualing. I also agree that swapping Kivan for Coran is a great way to deal with that problem, as the OP has a decent front line anyway. Coran isn't available until after the bandit camp, though, so don't dawdle too much before clearing the camp or you'll have to do it without a thief.

It is also possible to just dual Imoen and run without a thief for a while. Leaving high-xp, trapless areas like the basilisk area for after the dual will help her get her thief skills back before the areas where it really matters, like Durlag's Tower. The main problem with this plan is that I find Imoen usually hits 6th level somewhere in Cloakwood, which means either wasting a lot of xp just not levelling her up or taking on Daevorn without the ability to deal with the traps in his hallway.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    kaelin said:

What do you guys do with yours.. or do you just be a litterer and toss them on the ground?

Hey, the question was also about our actions towards items that don't cost anything : )

In my playthroughs I either don't take them or try to gather them all into containers I choose as my "home containers", so all "litter items" end there.

As for your party, @kaelin‌ , a party of a cavalier, Imoen, Kivan, Branwen, Minsc and Dynaheir look solid! Go for it and play as you like. 6 levels (or even 5) of a thief by Imoen will be enough to cover traps and locks : )
    Yeah. i just cleared out the mine (had to avoid the amazon party outside the back entrance)... my party's roughly level 2/3... (minsc, pally, dyna lvl 2, imoen, kivan and bran lvl 3)

through the gloves of dex on minsc, since figured he could use it more then my paladin... and my other two archers (imoen and kivan) already have 17 dex... right now i'm finding that the cleric bren is proving to be a weak point... more usefull with a sling/'run in heal' then equipped with a warhammer and wading in beside minsc and my cavalier.

As a side note, is there any vendor that accepts potions or books? i've got a bunch of them (potion of absorbing?)... that i really dont see the need (or the attention span) to use... yet the standard merchant/priest people seem to look at them and say 'yeah, were selling them... no we dont buy them'... so its making me just scratch my head... i hate throwing things on the ground, yet they consume inventory space.

anyways, gotta help kivan find his party he was chasing before going back to beregost to chase the guy referenced in the letter.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Your cleric will become more useful with later levels. She'll get the Animate Dead spell that is very good. Try to use her as a buffing source: Chant and Protection for Evil help greatly in the start.

Later on, use Doom + Hold Person. Holy Smite is an excellent AoE spell, especially taking into account you have a good party, so it will be party-friendly.

Even later on, Branwen will be able to cast Holy Power and then Draw Upon Holy Magic thus making her much more combat-oriented and deadly.

As for books and potions you can sell them to Thalanryr in the High Hedge.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Potion of Absorbing is incredibly useful against golems.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited December 2014
    Level 5 Imoen with 100% Trap-finding is fine for dualling to Mage. Particularly if you skim some easy XP with Imoen in Beregost before recruiting other NPCs.

Dualling Imoen at Level 4 with only 85% Trap-finding should suffice except for Durlag's Tower. Then, for a purist run-through lead with an NPC protected against Electricity and Fire damage, or stock up on some extra potions of healing. In BG2 however, unlike BG1, there are definitely some immediately fatal Traps to run afoul of...

Open locks can mostly be ignored without major consequence, particularly with Minsc in party. If you are unlucky and the Knock spell does not turn up in your playthrough [it is only obtained as a random drop] you will find that Coran [recruited at Level 5 normally] will have a high Open Locks skill. But I still think Minsc's high STR, particularly if supplemented by Potions, will do the job.

Cheers!
    wait. how do you use minsc to open locked things? just attack chests etc?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Click on any of the character's weapons, then click on the chest. Depending on the character's strength score, they'll have a certain effective Open Locks. It's not very high, though. See the Open Doors column in the link below.

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Strength

In general, I don't find it a good idea to rely on strength. You don't get very good numbers until well into the 20s. That tends to be potion intensive, and still can't open everything even with the best potions in the game.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    And don't forget that you can break non magical weapons trying to bust open a lock, all thanks to that iron crisis.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    jackjack said:

And don't forget that you can break non magical weapons trying to bust open a lock, all thanks to that iron crisis.

Just use Staffy, your trusty quarterstaff! Ya know, the one you start with! Why else would your CHARNAME start off with a quarterstaff every game?!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I'd use a sling or bow because they seem like the two weapons that would find breaking open a lock (without using any ammo in the process) to be the most difficult :)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Once you get to Baldur's Gate City you will be able to purchase Knock spell if it has not turned up as a random drop.