Skip to content

New player just getting his feet wet in this game

superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
edited December 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
Hello. Im not exactly sure what I should post here. But anyways, I like playing RPGs, like Dragon Age, Mass effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls.....basically the main popular ones that pretty much everybody knows. Also played a little bit of Divinity Original Sin, which I assume is kinda the same flavor as this Baldurs Gate. (Also liked playing the Fire Emblem series, with its turn based combat)

Anyways, after having played Dragon Age Inquisition for awhile (Havent beat it yet or anything, but I had to take a break from it) I feel incredibly disappointed because of how it deviated from the RPG elements I used to love in Origins so much. (Mainly the side quests being a bunch of MMO style fetch quests, and not the deep story related side quests which had multiple dialogue conversations and multiple ways to end the quest)

However I have heard about this Baldurs Gate game for the longest time, supposedly where Dragon Age Origins got its influence from, and figured I wanted to try it out, after not attempting to because I thought it might be too old for me, but I want to give it a shot anyway, since everyone I see who played all these games cant praise Baldurs Gate enough apparently, so I wanted to try and give it a shot.

So now I ask anybody who bothers to read this, what exactly should I do to prepare for this game? Since Im assuming its going to be so much better/bigger/immersive than anything I have ever played before. I mean I just seem pretty intimidated and feel like a total casual in the face of all these people who seem to really know their stuff. Is there anything I should know or do before I try this? Is there some sort of Mod I should install before attempting this?

If it helps, Im also the type of guy who likes to do every sidequest and search every nook and cranny before going onto the main quest, when everything else has been completed.

Its just I feel like im stepping into a new world for the first time, so I want to be prepared. Thanks
Post edited by superluccix on
kcwiseMetallomanMusignyHurricaneShikaoJLeeHeindrichBelgarathMTHelminsterJuliusBorisovWilburCrevsDaakViconia9reivisionlolien

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Welcome, guess your questions have been answered :D
    JLeekcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Definitely do the tutorial, look up basic controls in FAQs, and if you need help deciding on a starting class, just ask :)

The games are generally balanced out that you can fit a party around what you want to be yourself, and in Icewind Dale: EE you can make your entire party from scratch or use the one provided for you.

There's also pre-generated characters in the Baldur's Gate games that are made for basic starters to let you just jump right in and play the game without worrying about deciding on proficiencies and the like until you level up and recieve them normally.

And lastly: Save often, and talk to anyone with a unique name. They always have something interesting to say at one point or another.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A bit of advice that I forgot to mention earlier (and this is a purely personal preference): The A.I. default is ON, turn it OFF (the button that's one above bottom on the right hand side of the game screen).
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovJLeelolien
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Here' my advice: identify magical items before you use/equip them. Many items in the game are cursed, so they do bad things to the character who equips them, and they are difficult to unequip. You could potentially turn a party member to stone by accident if you aren't careful.
    kcwiseHurricaneJuliusBorisovlolien
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Sup dude, my first advice is to pre elaborate your party. You said you already played RPGs before, D&D ones also, so you know you need to make balanced parties to play the game (unless you want to go hardcore from the start and solo the game).

Here goes a list of every joinable NPC in Baldur's Gate, their class and where to get them. Gonna put it in spolers so you choose if you want to look or not as you're a new player, but new or not i advice the look, gonna display it as simple as possible.

Baldur's Gate List:

Ajantis - Lawful good Paladin - N friendly inn arm
    Alora - Chaotic Good thief - W of Baldur's Gate City
    Brawnen - True neutral cleric - Carnival
    Coran - Chaotic Good Fighter/Thief multiclass - Cloakwood 1
    Dynaheir - Lawful Good Invoker - Gnoll Stronghold
    Edwin - Lawful Evil Conjurer - Nashkel
    Eldoth - Neutral Evil Bard - Cloakwood 3
    Faldorn - True Neutral Druid - Cloakwood 3
    Garrik - Chaotic Neutral Bard - Beregost
    Imoen - Neutral Good Thief - At the begin
    Jaheira - True Neutral fighter/druid multiclass - Friendly Inn Arm
    Kagain - Lawful Evil Fighter - Beregost
    Khalid - Neutral Good Fighter - Friendly Inn Arm
    Kivan - Chaotic Good Ranger - E of Beregost
    Minsc - Neutral Good Ranger - Nashkel
    Montaron - Neutral Evil Thief - East of Candlekeep
    Quayle - Chaotic Neutral Cleric/Illusionist multiclass - Baldur's Gate Bridge
    Safana - Chaotic Neutral Thief - Lighthouse in the sword coast
    Shar-Teel - Chaotic Evil Fighter - East of the Temple Area
    Skie - True Neutral Thief - NW of Baldur's Gate City
    Tiax - Chaotic Evil Cleric/thief multiclass - SW of baldur's Gate City
    Viconia - Neutral Evil Cleric - Peldvale
    Yeslick - Lawful Good Cleric/Fighter multiclass - Cloakwood mines level 2
    Xan - Lawful Neutral Enchanter - Nashkel mines level 4
    Xzar - Chaotic Evil Necromancer - E of Candlekeep.

BG:EE Exclusive

Neera - Chaotic Neutral Wild Mage - Beregost
    Dorn - Neutral Evil Blackguard - 1° Friendly Inn Arm (speak with him there) then in the path of Nashkel mines)
    Rasaad - Lawful Good Sun Soul Monk - Nashkel
    Special guest - Chaotic Evil Sorcerer - Larswood

Baldur's Gate 2 list

Aerie - Lawful Good Cleric/Mage multiclass - waukeen promenade
    Anomen - Lawful Neutral/chaotic neutral/lawful good Fighter(4)/Cleric dual class - Slums
    Cernd - True Neutral Druid - Trademeet
    Edwin - Lawful Evil Conjurer - Docks
    Haer'Dalis - Chaotic Neutral Bard - Temple District
    Imoen - Neutral Good thief(7)/Mage Dual Class - at the begin
    Jaheira - True Neutral fighter/druid multiclass - at the begin
    Jan Jansen - Chaotic Neutral thief/illusionist multiclass - Government
    Keldorn - Lawful Good Inquisitor - Temple District
    Korgan - Chaotic Evil Berserker - Slums
    Mazzy - Lawful Good fighter (paladin alike) - Lost temple
    Minsc - Chaotic Good Ranger - At the begin
    Nalia - chaotic good thief(4)/mage dual-class - Slums
    Vaylgar - Neutral Good stalker - Umar Hills
    Viconia - Neutral Evil Cleric - Government
    Yoshimo - True Neutral Bounty Hunter - At the begin later
    Special Character - Chaotic Evil Fighter (Throne of Bhaal only)

BG2:EE Exclusive

Neera - Chaotic Neutral Wild Mage - Trigger in Bridge district and recruited later
    Dorn - Neutral Evil Blackguard - Temple District
    Rasaad - Lawful Good Sun Soul Monk - Trademeet
    Hexxat - Neutral Evil Thief - Slums
    Special guest - True Neutral ...something alike a fighter - Heretic Temple (Rasaad quest)

Besides plan the party, i would advice you to look guides after you end a session of the game (ex: after doing everything in the Slums on BG2 or Friendly Inn Arm in BG, later you could look a guide to see what you left behind. But this is personal so it's a suggestion of what i would do.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Someone might have mentioned this but expect fights to get really difficult , really fast if you go off the beaten path.

I remember struggling for hours to take down one particularly troublesome group of gentleman when I first played as a kid. Totally wasn't worth it loot or xp wise but I had fun.
    kcwiseCrevsDaaklolien
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Pretty much read the manual and don't give up.

When I first started Baldur's Gate, I had no idea about the ADnD rules. So I messed around a bit, read some FAQs and sometimes walkthroughs and I experimented.

It might get you some time to fully understand everything but it doesn't matter. Just keep playing, save often and experiment.

Dying is part of the experience. And you will die a lot. But remember that tactics and preparing gets you half-way there even if you don't know every rule.
    JuliusBorisovkcwiseCrevsDaaklolien
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm sure you won't regret giving BG a try once you really get into the game. I actually prefer BG graphics over most never RPG games (like Dragon Age Origins for example).
    Good luck, you'll need it :)
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovkcwiselolien
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    1° - How this game works in terms of initial level of joinable NPCs? It's based on your level and based on the number of .cha files existent for each NPC.

Ex: Aerie in BG2 has 6 .cha files, each one is an initial Aerie NPC with different levels between them, and which file will be triggered when you recruit her is based on your level and XP points. Someone correct me if i'm wrong in this, but i'm pretty sure i'm not.

2° - Knowing about the .cha level files, you must know that this game works with 2 kind of Experience points gain, (i) one is the normal XP points gain that is a set number spread in equal parts among all the members of the party, this one is the one you will most find in the game, (ii) the second kind, the party experience points, that you will gain at the end of some major quests and in other special moments of the game (and doesn't exist in BG:EE), is a set number that each party member gain.

So, 10.000 experience points in a party of 5 means 2.000 XP points to each member, 10.000 party experience points for 5 members of the party means 10.000 XP points to each member.

Conclusion:

If you level up alone or at the maximum with one person in the party, you can get level really fast and recruit NPCs at higher levels, this will block you in coordinate their evolution (where to set proficience points, where to put thieve skills...) but in trade you get more power.

Suggestion:

The best places to level up at the begin of the game in BG:EE are...

1° - Basilisk area (East of the Temple that is East of Beregost).

Buy 2 or 3 potions of mirrored eyes and hack 'n slash them easly for 1.400 XP for each and 4.000 for the greater basilisks. Whatch out for some other enemies in the place.

2° - Coast area - Fight the Nereids there for 2.000 xp each, they're a bit problematic with their constant domination spell (that will be an end game if you're alone when charmed), no party members except main char. To avoid this, there's a potion of clarity that you can get inside candlekeep at the begin.

Sleeping in these areas can be interrupted by Nereid attacks, which is good but you will have to provide other ways to avoid domination/charm.

3° - North of Friendly Inn Arm -Ankhegs.

These nasty bitches hit hard and give only 975 xp each. Why i like them so much, cos the engine inteligence is limited. They tend to prefer ranged attacks, even when we reach melee on them. That means -4 for them to hit us and +4 to us hit them (which is great for lvl 1 characters that have thac0 20). there's a lot of ankhegs in the area and also there's an cave with 10 more ankhegs in there, pleny to level up to 4 or 5 alone if you want

JLeekcwise
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    Welcome buddy. First thing enjoy and have fun.

Everyone has great posts here and my tip is read up on all the spells on the game.

The forum is a great place to be and info as well.

Enjoy