Skip to content

Assassin vs. Stalker

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
Which class do you prefer when backstabbing enemies?
  1. Assassin vs. Stalker49 votes
    1. Assassin
      34.69%
    2. Stalker
      24.49%
    3. Other (base Thief, Shadowdancer, Bounty Hunter)
      40.82%

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @elminster‌ Should have thought of that.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    If there is an option for Shadowdancers, I'll pick it !
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    I prefer assassin but fighter/thief is probably better like almost every other multi-class
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    19 STR Assassin for pure, unadulterated burst damage - good for gibbing enemies outright.

Dual-wielding Fighter/Thief if I also need them to deal follow-up damage. Stalkers are good at that too, but F/T gives more utility with thieving skills.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Fighter/ Mage/Thief to do continuous backstabs via mislead.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2015
    Stalkers are great, but if we're talking SPECIFICALLY backstabbing? Nothing like a 19+ (24 at endgame if evil) STR H-orc assassin with x7 backstab.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Assassins and stalker are rather poor backstabbers compared to FMT:
    - a FMT will never miss on a backstab (by opposition to an assassin)
    - a FMT can use critical strike and get x10 multiplier
    - a FMT can use mislead to backstab continuously.

A kensai thief, thanks to kai and kensai bonus also outclass them easily. And for truly ridiculous damage, they can use a shapeshifting scroll adn backstab as an iron golem...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Assassin has always intrigued me, but I still picked fighter/thief over it in my latest game yet again :)
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I thought I had been led to believe that the ultimate backstabber was actually a cleric/thief wielding a staff.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    To everyone raving about high str backstabs - remember the str bonus dmg is not multiplied by the backstab modifier... 17 str for the minus 1 thaco is the sweet spot stats wise for a pure backstabber.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    pixie359 said:

I thought I had been led to believe that the ultimate backstabber was actually a cleric/thief wielding a staff.

Kensai thief with that staff plus 6 from wk and Kai cast if you want a purely massive hit... Assassin is not far behind though.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    If the questions is purely about backstabbing, then I think assassin is preferred, though many others fit the part equally or even better (as many have mentioned above).

Comparing a stalked with her limited BS multiplier to an assassin is not really a fair poll. I love stalkers for their versatility though, and I like to play them even if they are gimped F/T's. If they only would have had disarm trap and lay traps as skills it would have eliminated the need for another thief in IWD. I really enjoy single-classes, especially hybrids, but they are seldom better than MC/DC versions unfortunately (except ie sorc, barb, defender, but then again they aren't really examples of versatile classes either).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2015
    jackjack said:

Musigny said:

A fighter/thief is so enjoyable all game long...

Especially Dwarves.
    but also half-orcs
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    jackjack said:

Musigny said:

A fighter/thief is so enjoyable all game long...

Especially Dwarves.
    Don't neglect the halflings :smile: . If you max the dex (for both races) the halfling gets 210 initial thieving points (versus 150 for the dwarf). It does not matter on the long run but it is nice to have decent stats so early (for instance to boost either detect illusion or set snare).
    Reciprocally the STR penalty has no huge impact, there are many potions to get the job done (not to mention permanent bonus).

This being said I used to play an elf for no particular reason (or the pleasure to fail a spell saving throw from time to time).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Stalker. I just like having that added oomph in case the target survives.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I like Fighter/Thieves and Jan for backstabbing. Fighter/Thieves don't have to use hit-and-fade tactics to stay viable in battle, saving some micromanagement (they're still, naturally, better off doing hit-and-fade stuff), and they don't lose quite as much power when dealing with backstab-immune foes. The extra APR also helps them break through Stoneskin, which blocks backstabs entirely. And their lower THAC0 decreases the chance of missing a backstab outright.

As for Jan... Jan can cast Mislead and backstab in spider form. Four backstabs a round is pretty sweet. Although I normally use him for more technical stuff than brute melee force.