Skip to content

[Mods] Awesome Soundsets Mods Master Thread. Custom Soundsets for BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    yeah all mine did too...
    Downloaded a new beta update today for BGEE, and custom soundsets are still broken... :(

Just to make sure the issue is visible since the ticket I opened a ticket under SOD doesn't appear to have action on it yet, I opened another ticket under BGEE since it occurs in both and I've been told by BD that that is okay.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22699
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/23231
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I haven't played anything EE related since release, so just need to get up to speed - as I was preparing for a playthorugh, and just to be clear...

There's no implementation of custom soundsets as there was in the original game, and the complicated method https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/281810#Comment_281810 doesn't seem to work (error messages all over), also, that guide doesn't make sense to me as:

"Click on the name "Column 1" to change it to whatever the name of your voice set is. I used "Phillip" as an example."

There's no reference to what/where/how my soundsets are and whether the original list is still valid.

So in short: is it all still borked? Thanks.
    @Chippy
    It is still borked.

The method I've made here installs soundsets using weidu without DLTCEP which is now an obsolete tool. At any rate, even if it installs fine, the engine is borked in BGEE and SOD so that sounds don't play correctly.
    @smeagolheart

Much appreciate the reply. I'm approaching all of this with a completely fresh perspective as SOD is my first introduction to Beamdog's work. I'm slowly starting to to form a view though. Hope I'm wrong.

Heh.
    Chippy said:

@smeagolheart

Much appreciate the reply. I'm approaching all of this with a completely fresh perspective as SOD is my first introduction to Beamdog's work. I'm slowly starting to to form a view though. Hope I'm wrong.

Heh.

if you want to add mods to SOD, be sure to use modmerge first if you have gog/steam version to extract the files.
    Thanks, am just putting my foot back in the (murky) water's so to speak.

@Chippy
    It is still borked.

The method I've made here installs soundsets using weidu without DLTCEP which is now an obsolete tool. At any rate, even if it installs fine, the engine is borked in BGEE and SOD so that sounds don't play correctly.

I was thinking of using Near Infinity to open up the sounds of the default soundsets, and then replace them with my own. I did something very much the same with PS:T - the "left yourself exposed idiot" backstab was getting on my nerves, so I just opened it, replaced the file name with another easier on the ears backstab sound, and dropped it into the override.

Unfortunately acmtowav and the current NearInfinity doesn't want to play wav. sounds and I can't seem to locate the voice sets.

It's almost like ... this is overly complicated.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Chippy said:

It's almost like ... this is overly complicated.

The definition of the Infinity Engine is overly complicated. LOL
    edited May 2016
    I've updated volume 2, probably the best one, (IWD sounds). It seems to be working ok, possibly?

The thing should install on Siege, but if you have GOG or Steam you must use modmerge prior to installing any mods that affect dialogue - like this mod does. If you it updates to the newest beta weidu or some day in the future when a weidu comes out that supports siege, it won't work, so I see this as just a temporary beta thing.

It seems to work but when I tried this on another of my mods it didn't. I'm still not sure what they did entirely with the sounds in siege. I'd say that because Siege had a different programmer he did things differently than the mess that was there before maybe?

download link
    http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/rKDpyYTz/file.html
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2016
    I'm currently testing the Siege-compatible version of Awesome Soundsets, and so far I've been able to install my soundsets in BGEE with SoD. I'm running a GOG version of BGEE and SoD right now, so Modmerge is necessary. After going through that extraction process and modifying my soundset pack, I could install Awesome Soundsets successfully.

The main problem I've encountered in-game, though, is that not all of the sounds are playing. The "Selected" sound files only seem to play once; when clicking on a character, they will say the four "Selected" sound files only once, and say nothing on any consecutive clicks. Also, only the first two or three "Action Acknowledgements" will play. The other four never seem to pop up.

I think this is still pertaining to issues with the game's programming. Due to either some issue with patch 2.0 and/or the Siege of Dragonspear data, custom sound files still seem to be broken on some level. So Awesome Soundsets will install on Siege now, but still won't play as intended apparently because of game bugs. Still, you're doing a great job of trying to get everything compatible @smeagolheart. Hopefully Beamdog will release a future patch to fix these errors or maybe a WeiDU update will somehow circumnavigate the custom sound errors. Let's hope they are taking your Redmine submissions seriously, at least.

I'm not releasing a new version of my soundset pack yet, as I'm still testing out a few things. Right now I'm updating my core soundset data files as downloading the SoD-compatible volume 2 made me realize I'm working on a old Awesome Soundset mod shell version. After I fix things up and do some more testing, I'll probably upload a Siege of Dragonspear version of my soundset pack, maybe within the week.
    From what I can tell, the implementation of soundsets in siege is done in a different way than in classic baldur's gate. Things just don't line up like they should.

Charsnd.2da, which seems to have the most major differences, is completely rearranged, the old version starts out row 9, then goes to 6, 7, 8, 20 while new one starts out at 1-13 then skips to 18. It's really confusing.

I've attached some relevant things I'm seeing. Maybe someone can make more sense of it than I can or maybe I do understand things correctly and that' why I'm confused. :)

I've updated volume 2, probably the best one, (IWD sounds). It seems to be working ok, possibly?

The thing should install on Siege, but if you have GOG or Steam you must use modmerge prior to installing any mods that affect dialogue - like this mod does. If you it updates to the newest beta weidu or some day in the future when a weidu comes out that supports siege, it won't work, so I see this as just a temporary beta thing.

It seems to work but when I tried this on another of my mods it didn't. I'm still not sure what they did entirely with the sounds in siege. I'd say that because Siege had a different programmer he did things differently than the mess that was there before maybe?

download link

Has anybody any feedback on if this is working for them?
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2016

I was initially getting errors on install (probably due to an aborted previous attempt), but when I reinstalled the game, the IWD soundsets installed without issue. In-game, I don't think I've noticed selection sounds , but in limited playtime, I did get party leadership voiceover, command acknowledgements, etc, using the female sorcerer voice.
    hmm.. ok well I guess that bug is still not fixed? I thought I had some selection sounds on mine.
    I haven't tested the new SoD-compatible Awesome Soundset version in IWDEE yet, but with the old version the only sound file that didn't play was the "Reaction on Player Death". That seemed like a game bug, though.

I know I'm running into "Selection" problems with the SoD-compatible Awesome Soundset in BGEE, but I figured that was due to BGEE + SoD bugs. If the "Selection" sound clips won't play in IWDEE, there may be an issue with the new Awesome Soundset version. I'll try to test it out later and see what's going on.
    @Swifty_Magee

The code that was changed should not have touched anything with IWDEE. ?

The only thing added was a compatibility check for SOD at the end of the BGEE section.
    I just installed the new SoD Awesome Soundset in Icewind Dale EE, and everything works fine so far. My soundset pack installed correctly with no errors. The "Selection" sounds are all playing, which doesn't happen in BGEE + SoD. It does not appear there is a problem with the new version of the Awesome Soundsets mod, at least on my end.

@XKal , if you're playing IWDEE with the new Awesome Soundset and you're not getting any player reactions, try uninstalling your Awesome Soundsets and deleting any relevant files from your IWDEE main folder (the Awesome Soundset folder, the setup.exe, the debug file if it generated). After there's no trace of Soundsets vol 2 - or whatever Awesome Soundset pack you're using - extract the Awesome Soundset files and folders into your IWDEE main folder again and do another install. Hopefully you won't run into anymore issues.

The "Selection" sounds should work in IWDEE and probably BG2EE. Just keep clicking on a character, and if they stop responding verbally with subtitles, try to report back and we'll figure out what's happening.
    Nothings changed with IWDEE or BG2EE neither game has had any engine altering patches recently like the BG1EE/SOD 2.0 patch.

IWDEE and BG2EE should be fine
    edited May 2016

Nothings changed with IWDEE or BG2EE neither game has had any engine altering patches recently like the BG1EE/SOD 2.0 patch.

I figured it would be fine in IWDEE and BG2EE, but XKal said he didn't think he was hearing any selection sounds in IWDEE. Better to be sure than to assume, so I just did a quick test in IWDEE and posted my findings. The Awesome Soundset mod looks good. The problem seems to lie with the changes Beamdog did with BGEE and SoD's coding.
  • UnpersonUnperson Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2016

Tested on BGEE/SOD, 2.0 (haven't updated to 2.1 yet). No issues, installed without a hitch, sounds seem to play fine, including selection, confirmation and battlecries, though I didn't do exhaustive testing of all soundsets. These soundsets don't include thieving/hiding in shadows/spell failure sounds, so obviously, these don't play.

Sounds to me (pun not intended) that you fixed it. :)
  • GynsburgheGynsburghe Member Posts: 60
    Installed yesterday, not getting selection sounds but the rest seem to be working fine.

Installed yesterday, not getting selection sounds but the rest seem to be working fine.

And that is what I was seeing just by copying a default soundset and renaming it. So I figured it's the engine, not the mod, and I opened the redmine ticket.
    I just hope these type of bugs that came with the latest patches and Siege of Dragonspear get resolved before Beamdog start patching Icewind Dale EE. That's the Infinity Engine game I play the most, and I always test my soundsets on that game.

I just hope these type of bugs that came with the latest patches and Siege of Dragonspear get resolved before Beamdog start patching Icewind Dale EE. That's the Infinity Engine game I play the most, and I always test my soundsets on that game.

Make a backup before you press that update button :)

Or better yet just copy the whole thing to a different name so it doesn't get overwritten, a test server if you will.
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58

I figured it would be fine in IWDEE and BG2EE, but XKal said he didn't think he was hearing any selection sounds in IWDEE. Better to be sure than to assume, so I just did a quick test in IWDEE and posted my findings. The Awesome Soundset mod looks good. The problem seems to lie with the changes Beamdog did with BGEE and SoD's coding.
    I'm playing BG:EE/SoD with the IWD soundsets (soundset volume 2). I'm not playing IWD:EE. Sorry; thought that was clear since that's what Smeagolheart was asking for. :)
    XKal said:

I'm playing BG:EE/SoD with the IWD soundsets (soundset volume 2). I'm not playing IWD:EE. Sorry; thought that was clear since that's what Smeagolheart was asking for. :)

Oh. My bad with that, then. Misunderstanding on my part. At least I now know no one is having problems in IWDEE, and that the issue doesn't have to do with the Awesome Soundset.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited May 2016
    Cannot append column-wise because there are 48 lines in CHARSND.2da but I was only given 28 things to append
    I get this error on my SoD install. Is this the error everyone is getting?
    decado said:

Cannot append column-wise because there are 48 lines in CHARSND.2da but I was only given 28 things to append
    I get this error on my SoD install. Is this the error everyone is getting?

Are you trying to install your Awesome Soundsets on a Steam or GOG version of BGEE? If so, try using the Modmerge program (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1). Go through the Modmerge process and then try to install the Awesome Soundsets again. If this doesn't work, post back and we'll try to figure it out.
    edited May 2016
    @decado The mod doesn't work with SOD due to an engine bug.

There is no point in installing it now unfortunately until this bug gets resolved.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/23231

If you really want to install it, use this link for Awesome Soundsets Vol 2.

download link

But selection sounds and most sounds will not work due to the engine bug. I have no idea when the bug will be addressed unfortunately.