Skip to content

Mercenary for hire.

Hi all,

Just your bog-standard adventurer here with a tendency to over-winter in Faerun. I'm more inclined to role play than to brood over stats and hacks (though I know the essentials well enough); despise all manner of trolls, and do humbly offer my services as a tempered berzerker to whatever parties of reasonably good intent that might be seeking an additional sword arm. So... do you want to hear my (character's) life story?

As per my in-game biography, here follows an account of the drow Liora, who is called Valkyrie:

Having no memory of her earliest days, an infant drow was left in the light of the surface world, near Amn, with no purpose or explanation for the actions of her kin. She was found by the mage Gorion, who gave her the name Liora (meaning "a gift of light"). And whilst Gorion showed her great kindness, inclining her to follow the path of good, few others amongst the libraries of Candlekeep were similarly inclined. So it seemed, the disease of racial intolerance afflicted the minds of even the most learned of its readers.

With anything but a conventional beginning, Liora typically disregarded social convention. She developed an ambivalent relationship with her race, meanwhile, desiring both to reunite with them and deriding them for abandoning her to the cruel surface world. Growing increasingly angry with the hand the Fates had dealt her, Liora opposed the monkish traditions of Candlekeep and instead trained relentlessly in the arts of combat. This helped somewhat to keep her tendency to rage at bay, but was not always as successful as the quiet folk of Candlekeep would have wished.

Following Gorion's death in the year 1368, being also the death of the only kindness the surface world had shown her, Liora decided to choose her own name, and also her own destiny. She became Valkyrie, after the legendary creatures of the battlefield, and a mighty warrior in turn, travelling alone and honing her skills upon the sirens and vampiric wolves of the Sword Coast. Also during this period, the innate evil of her racial origins began to overshadow her heart. For when she abdandoned her childhood friend, Imoen, to death at the hands of maurading beasts, she likewise abandoned the path of light upon which Gorion had set her.

It was then that the Fates intervened once again: for the mage of Beregost, Firebead Elvenhair, now showed her kindness and offered his services as a surrogate tutor in Gorion's absence, encouraging Valkyrie to learn and read all she could. This exercise in "context," he believed, might serve to help her find herself despite the myriad winds of social influence (of which she held little indeed). Thus Valkyrie began to establish a library in Firebead's home in Beregost, visiting him frequently and collating all the books she could find.

Having at last discovered, almost conclusively, that persons who are shown kindness incline towards the path of good, and persons who are unjustly persecuted incline towards the path of evil, Valkyrie resolved to make her mark upon Faerun as a "Guardian of Outcasts" and henceforth accepted into her company all those who had been unjustly persecuted or banished from their native locale. All the while, a powerful remorse of conscience assailed her from within, together with a somewhat fantastical hope- despite what she had seen with her own eyes- that Imoen had not truly perished on the battlefield, but was spared; and that she might live yet, somewhere, desiring reuinion with her friend.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Well met and welcome Valkyrie!
    Is it possible for a neutralish rogue to sign up with you somewhere? I'd be glad to lend my blade to your cause. :)
  • LioraValkyrieLioraValkyrie Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2015
    Greeetings, @Blackraven‌ ! Neutralish? Hmm... No signatures necessary- a dedication to the cause will do nicely. I serve the realm using a "platform" called "Steam Account." If you do likewise, I would be happy to venture forward together. :smile:

So feel free to PM me if you want to organise a multiplayer game!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Welcome to the forum! Time to bust out some more :cookie:s. Go, ferret! Deliver the sugary sweet flavor of justice!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Why does that cookie look like it has a paw print in the middle of it? EWW!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    kcwise said:

Why does that cookie look like it has a paw print in the middle of it? EWW!

Those are just chocolate chips, I swear! *looks over at ferret for confirmation*
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    A fellow moderator welcomes you!

The main rule - love BG and have fun : )

Have a wonderful stay here!