Skip to content

Evil Party, Evil Character: What Class?

I'm planning on doing an evil runthrough. I have some mods: the 100% spell learning from BG2 Tweaks, the NPC Project, SCS, Weapons for Xzar and Edwin, to name a few. I have my party selected, and I plan on keeping it this way:
Kagain (melee tankage, Str tome going his way)
Xzar (dualing to cleric - what level? Giving him Hands of Takkok, Int tome)
Tiax (all three Wis tomes)
Eldoth (melee until Xzar duals, then giving Gauntlets of Dex, booting Skie when completing quest)

One issue is Monty - should I keep him around to backstab, or should I replace him with somebody else, such as Baeloth (for extra magery), Edwin (for extra magery), Viconia (for extra healing), Dorn (don't want to, but could use the help), or Shar-Teel or Faldorn, (because I feel guilty at lack of female presence)? Or should there be somebody else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think Dorn is worth using once with an evil party. A F/M(/T) PC suits an evil character perfectly due to their awesome power. It fits with any party and isn't represented by the cast of either game's NPCs.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited January 2015
    Double post
    Post edited by Wowo on
    I decided that what was really lacking in bg2 was enough of a divine presence and I eventually settled on some variant of a fighter/cleric. After much consideration I decided that a FMC would be the most fun to play as it simultaneously is incredibly powerful but is also a little slow to develop giving the other interesting evil characters a chance to shine.

I played the character in bg1 as well and had a blast, really fun to play and great to enter bg2 with all the tomes read to offset any shortfalls of a triple class.

In BG1 I really like to have 2 thieves as thief skills are very good and it's difficult for one thief to cover everything.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd probably go Blackguard if you aren't taking Dorn. :)
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    One annoying thing about the FMC. You can't wear armour like a FC could. I did eventually lose interest and go with a mage/cleric.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    fanscale said:

One annoying thing about the FMC. You can't wear armour like a FC could. I did eventually lose interest and go with a mage/cleric.

You can wear armor you just can't cast mage spells while doing it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would take a half-orc Assassin as CHARNAME in an evil party. Let Tiax focus on locks and traps and be an ultimate poisonous backstabber.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    elminster said:

fanscale said:

You can wear armor you just can't cast mage spells while doing it.
    For BG, it is still well worth wearing the armor. You can memorize area of effect spells like web, fireball, etc. or long duration spells like stoneskin, melf's, etc. You can use your first level slots for identify spells and have a handful of wands in your quick slots for spells like sleep, fireball, paralyze, etc. in the middle of fights.

In BG2, the extra AC is no longer as effective.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Okay, so suggestions are for F/M, F/M/T, F/M/C, Blackguard (without Dorn) or half-orc Assassin. Any advice on Monty?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Like I mentioned I would definitely go with Dorn.
    @FinneousPJ‌ Maybe I should have noticed that. Whoops.

Okay, so suggestions are for F/M, F/M/T, F/M/C, Blackguard (without Dorn) or half-orc Assassin. Any advice on Monty?

As I said I love Monty, it's brutally effective to have 2 thieves in the party so you can have 1 on locks and 1 on traps. This leaves enough points for each to have ~50 in set traps, hide and move silently.

Once you get stealth boots etc it is brutally effective and fun to scout maps while hiding and chunking enemies with big backstabs from Tiax with Staff of Striking and Monty with Frostbrand.
    Alight, final decision is F/M/C, keeping Monty. Thanks for the help.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2015
    It's a classic one but I love Priest of Talos. The thunders make him evil and powerful as wished.
  • 6kNNRQ6kNNRQ Member Posts: 16
    I enjoy making a Darkmoon Monk and/or Shadow Dancer, then joining with Viconia early on. I include in charnames biography a fascination with the goddess Shar because of the secrets Gorion keeps from him.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited January 2015
    F/Ms can use scrolls while wearing armor, so in BG1 my F/M is basically a fighter who's uses scrolls and only takes the armor off for using memorized utility spells. It's actually pretty cool, and it works in any party.