Skip to content

It's been ten years, it's time to play Baldur's Gate again. What's changed since 2005?

PinkadinPinkadin Member Posts: 9
It's been ten years, it's time to play Baldur's Gate again. What's changed since 2005?

I remember there was a Baldur's Gate mod floating around back then that let you play BG1 but using the more modern BG2 engine. Whatever happened with that? There were also "fix packs" you could download and unzip to overwrite original game files with corrected, up-to-date information.

I remember there were problems with the computer controlled PCs being dumb. They had scripts to control them "ATTACK", "SHOOT ARROWS", etc. but these sucked for doing anything other than charging straight at the enemy.

Did they fix the evil adventuring party issue? I remember it was really hard to have an evil party due to the way the game was constructed. I want to do an evil run-through this time.

How about mods? I like low-level adventures the best (hence BG1 is my favorite). Are there any good single-player adventure modules in the vein of BG1 or Keep on the Borderlands or other classic low-level styles?

How about add-ons that make things better? I always wanted to see more of the game's internals. Stuff like how reputation affects you and so on, just things that aren't usually visible. I know you can see the attack rolls if you change a setting, but I'm not talking about that. Like an improved HUD in Skyrim that lets you know when the sun sets and rises.

What else? Anything else anyone can think of? I just want to play BG1 again, it's been a long time and hopefully I've forgotten everything. But, I want to have the best experience available in 2015. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Comments

• OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    Pinkadin said:

I remember there was a Baldur's Gate mod floating around back then that let you play BG1 but using the more modern BG2 engine. Whatever happened with that?

Both EE's are using the same engine, so this mod is not needed for this edition.
    Pinkadin said:

I remember there were problems with the computer controlled PCs being dumb. They had scripts to control them "ATTACK", "SHOOT ARROWS", etc. but these sucked for doing anything other than charging straight at the enemy.

Not much changed here, party still requires a lot of micromanagement.
    Pinkadin said:

Did they fix the evil adventuring party issue? I remember it was really hard to have an evil party due to the way the game was constructed. I want to do an evil run-through this time.

Rep management is still a pain in the lower back
    Pinkadin said:

How about mods? I like low-level adventures the best (hence BG1 is my favorite). Are there any good single-player adventure modules in the vein of BG1 or Keep on the Borderlands or other classic low-level styles?

Some mods work (SCS), some do not. "BG:EE mods" section of this forum can provide some answers.
  • PinkadinPinkadin Member Posts: 9
    After searching around I found what I used before, "BG1:Tutu". How does that relate to BG:EE?

What if I want to exclude Tales of the Sword Coast and just play the base game?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I'm fairly certain the EE incorporates tutu into it's coding.
    you can't exclude TotSC but why would you really want to?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You can just ignore the TotSC content.
  • PinkadinPinkadin Member Posts: 9
    So, to summarize my questions:

1. BG:EE supersedes all others.

2. Computer controlled scripts are still dumb. Grr...haven't people been able to mod them and make custom scripts? How does that work?

3. No help on the evil adventuring party thing? That's lame. I'm thinking about being a Neutral Evil thief and just dump Imoen ASAP. Or maybe a NE bard and keep Imoen. Eh, whatta pain.

4. I see BG:EE ships with a new adventure. What about others?

5. No replacement HUD, or other add-ons to help the game out?

How about replacement character portraits? 10 years and I still remember every single one of them, and already the default portraits grate on my eyes. And you can't use half of them because they're duplicated by NPCs.
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    Pinkadin said:

4. I see BG:EE ships with a new adventure. What about others?

new NPC's have personal quests, you need to have an NPC in your party to access this content
    Pinkadin said:

How about replacement character portraits? 10 years and I still remember every single one of them, and already the default portraits grate on my eyes. And you can't use half of them because they're duplicated by NPCs.

using custom portraits for mainchar is easier than in original - less file size restrictions (.BMP, no wider than 1024 pixels), just place them in "portraits" folder in \Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits

replacing NPC portraits: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits/p1
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Re. an evil party: My most efficient core party n the first version of BG was, and still is in BGEE, evil aligned. All the necessary npcs are there (more in EE), it's only reputation management that's an issue. I honestly can't remember the last time I had Imoen in my party all the way through the game and I often (depending on my character) rebuff her on day one.