Skip to content

Would it be too much to ask for one more adventure before the departing the Infinity Engine?

We all know that Adventure Y is coming and im super excited, but at the same time i feel there should be one more game. Before they retire the infinity engine.
I always felt that there needed to be a adventure set between SoA and ToB. To me Throne of Bhaal went by too quick... even though i really enjoyed the deep campaign.

So... Do you guys agree? Or do you feel we had enough Baldurs Gate Infinity Games?

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Definitely, I would love to see an expansion between SoA and ToB. An expansion between BG1 and BG2 has to necessarily be quite limited in scope, whereas between SoA and ToB you can go off one last grand outing and do pretty much whatever you want before being summoned back to talk to the statues, and take all your favourite companions along.

And I would like to see other IE games given a makeover as well. But I understand that it's a logical progression for a company to want to start doing their own stuff. But please do SoA - ToB expansion first.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    All of that is not mutually exclusive.
    The attempt to migrate BG2 into a 3D engine was impressive.
    I just hope this does not result in a kind of artistic decay (a la NWN versus IWD for instance).
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Belanos said:

elminster said:

After Adventure Y is released I think its time to move onto a new engine.

Not until Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape: Torment have been done.

But IWD 2 is already in a new engine.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jackjack‌ Unity engine
    edited January 2015
    scriver said:

From what I've heard Beamdog wants to continue with IE-looking games even if they scrap the Infinity Engine itself. In my layman's mind that probably means we can expect them to license Obsidian's Eternity engine, or work with them in some manner. But I'm just guessing here.

Does this mean Unity ?
    If so, all of a sudden I feel much less excited. IIRC that engine hits the cpu and shows a poorly (multi)-threaded pattern. If that's the case then let's hope there is no substantial impact on the scripting creativity and abundance.

Edit : Engine confirmed by FinneousPJ
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

@jackjack‌ Unity engine

Isn't that generally considered mod-unfriendly though? Or am I misinformed?
    @jackjack Dunno, but so was Infinity.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Exactly!
    @Musigny Why does that (multicore support) matter, though? It's not Battlefield 4.

Playing Wastelands 2 I'm not noticing any performance issues. On the contrary it's hardly giving my system a workout, and my CPU is from '09.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    jackjack said:

@jackjack‌ Unity engine

Unless they create a tool for you to edit it. Which means it's not modding friendly.

jackjack Dunno, but so was Infinity.

Having a folder that overrides the contents of the game for the contents on that folder make it pretty modder-friendly. Not to mention it's basic data types and animations handling from images (a rather unconventional image-type anyway...).
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    There are certain things that I hate about Unity like that it is impossible to force the games into borderless windowed with a 3rd party tool and that it doesn't seem to like tabbing out all that much but otherwise there are some pretty nice looking games created with it.

I just want a game that controls like the IE games but with a proper quick slot bar.
    edited January 2015
    CrevsDaak said:

jackjack said:

@jackjack‌ Unity engine

Unless they create a tool for you to edit it. Which means it's not modding friendly.
    BG required modders to create their own tools. Which means it's not modding friendly per your own words.

@Musigny Why does that (multicore support) matter, though? It's not Battlefield 4.

Playing Wastelands 2 I'm not noticing any performance issues. On the contrary it's hardly giving my system a workout, and my CPU is from '09.

That's a good example, Wasteland was not correctly tuned at release time (performance-wise) and it looks like a game which is several years old. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that game, not for its graphics though.
    The general question is not whether you see a high workload but the ability to use the available resources.
    As long as you can execute your workload on a rather serialized software engine that's ok but if you reach the limit there won't be many options to help you fix the issue - no matter the hardware.
    Think about the early days of BG2 with some "heavy" mods (ascension included) and the related performance issue on some mainstream hardware.
    Even some relatively recent mods (deployed on the original games) sometimes advise you to wait a couple of seconds when you enter a new area. What they have to execute is no match for a modern cpu power. The intrinsic limitation is the software architecture.

I hope Beamdog will take its time to select the right engine for their needs. But I also hope this choice will remain appropriate over time.
    What I can read about the Unity engine features does not thrill me. That's it. However I'll gladly play everything that just works (tm).
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    jackjack said:

@jackjack‌ Unity engine

Download Unity Engine, maybe Unity Pro. Find the asset files and import them into Unity 3D. Modding is slightly harder but still possible.
    edited January 2015
    Obviously, the more advanced and complex an engine is, the harder it it for modders to approach. However, it also has greater potential!

I think this is something NWN did brialliantly after BG. It found the perfect balance between ease of use and advanced features.
  • TommyKnox777TommyKnox777 Member Posts: 22
    Ya, why final?

Why ditch an engine with such a dedicated following? You know what ever you put out is going to sell, this game/sytsem/engine simply does not get out dated.

That and we're all older now and need something worthwhile gamewise to spend our money on...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

CrevsDaak said:

jackjack said:

@jackjack‌ Unity engine

BG required modders to create their own tools. Which means it's not modding friendly per your own words.
    Yeah, but that if they make a toolset... If they don't... it's gonna be tough...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I bet here and now that the Adventure Y will be a major success.

Factors that might help:

- good advertising so that even those who don't surf gaming sites every day and night will find out about it

- not a huge price; it has to be lower than the price of EEs for the majority of players to accept it

- iOS and Android versions

- a living comminity of players who still play BG&IWD after all these years
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Ya, why final?

Why ditch an engine with such a dedicated following? You know what ever you put out is going to sell, this game/sytsem/engine simply does not get out dated.

That and we're all older now and need something worthwhile gamewise to spend our money on...

Because A, that "dedicated following" is tiny, and B, the engine is almost certainly outdated in itself and even aside from that it is a pain to use.
    @CrevsDaak Of course a toolset would be great. Like I said earlier, this is what made NWN one of the greatest games of all time.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    bengoshi said:

I bet here and now that the Adventure Y will be a major success.

Factors that might help:

- good advertising so that even those who don't surf gaming sites every day and night will find out about it

- not a huge price; it has to be lower than the price of EEs for the majority of players to accept it

- iOS and Android versions

- a living comminity of players who still play BG&IWD after all these years

make sure you advertise adventure Y in the recent news sections of BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE in steam, that always surprised me that it never showed up there.