Skip to content

The moments where the game comes alive

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
A little story of something which really made the game come alive for me. A mere fluke, but still...

I was playing a dwarven defender by the name of Thorek Bloodfist. The idea behind him was that he was trained by Reevor in the art of dwarven combat and Arkanis in the way of smithing (as per the premade background). The RP in my head was that this was a dwarf who desperately wanted to fit in and to be seen as 'a real dwarf.' Hence his insistence on a traditional way of fighting. Kind of like how Durag was obsessed with not dying alone and clanless given his upbringing, this Bhaalspawn was like that.

So of course he fell in with Kagain. Weeks were spent adventuring with the mercenary. As anyone who has used that character knows, Kagain is...a bit gruff. If you charm him, he mentions how he doesn't have any friends. But given how Kagain starts off with more xp than Charname, I figured that Thorek would look up to him and would want to impress him.

Well, eventually the party picked up Yeslick. The second dwarf NPC. Where Kagain is intelligent (int 15), gold hungry and completely mercenary in his outlook, Yeslick is rather slow (int 7...he can't even read!), idealistic and traditional. Which meant for the impressionable bhaalspawn, he had two dwarfs that he looked up to in different ways. One who was a warrior like him and someone to look up to, and the other who represented the link to the culture that he so desperately wanted.

The party went down on through Baldur's Gate, back to Candlekeep...and there saw Rieltar. The man who had betrayed Yeslick and had taken his clan's mine, turning it into a slave camp. An argument broke out when Thorek and company refused to leave, causing the leaders of the Iron Throne to attack. Now faced with murder charges, the party fled into the wilderness. Wanted by the law, and reeling from seeing everyone he cared about from his youth turn into Dopplegangers, Thorek decided to go into hiding for awhile. He opted to go to Durlag's Tower. Given what he had just went through, it was something of a cold comfort to know that he wasn't alone in suffering through such a fate.

The party got to the tower, and the party stood for a moment in its shadow. Kagain looked up grumpily, unhappy on being so far on the wrong side of the law. The only thing keeping him in line was the lure of all of the gold hidden under the tower. Yeslick took the ruins of the Clan home most differently.

YESLICK: Friendships last when gold is long gone. Perhaps you should be a little nicer to the group.
KAGAIN: Yeslick, your stupid mine is what started all this trouble.
YESLICK: The mines were there for anyone who looked! I'll not be blamed for what the Throne does with em!
KAGAIN: You're the stupidest dwarf I've ever met, you're an embarrassment to dwarves everywhere.
YESLICK: You've sold your mores for the love of gold. All dwarves are kin, but I'll not call YOU family.
KAGAIN: Ya lousy excuse for a dwarf, I'm gonna rip you a new arse.

------------

What comes next needs a bit of explaining. You see....I was being really cheap. I never bought Kagain a +1 axe. Instead, I bought the +1 throwing axes from the Beregost Smithy, and kept 1 of them set on 'melee'. That way he could get his +1 axe for a fraction of the cost! Well...I took it off and put it back in and forgot to put it back to Melee. So on the way to the tower he threw it and lost it. So he went to a normal axe that I had in my inventory. This is important for what is to come next.

-----------

The two dwarfs squared off. Thorek stood back, doing his best to get the two dwarfs to stop fighting. Neither would listen. Dwarfs being stubborn, right? Well, Kagain was getting the better of Yeslick. And then, he got a critical hit, nearly taking Yeslick down. And with that crit, his axe broke. Weaponless, he tried to finish off the wounded Yeslick with his bare hands, and nearly did so. Until he took one too many hammer blows and fell to the ground. Upon which, a bloody and victorious Yeslick looked up at the tower before him. A tower made by a dwarven hero to keep his clan safe. A place where all could prosper and live in peace. Now a ruin, with more dwarven blood spilled under its shadow. Thorek looked at the battered and bloody corpse of his friend. All he could say as: "Why?" To which Yeslick replied.

"I wish no Dwarf dead, but I'll not miss his company!"

And with that, Yeslick marched inside. After a moment's hesitation, Thorek followed.

-------------------------------

I love it when things come together like that. When the dialogue trees come up at exactly the right time, in the most cinematic manner possible. And when the fight is decided by a critical hit that breaks a weapon. I like to think that the breaking of the weapon wasn't chance. It was because of Durlag's Tower. The tower is a trap for the greedy. Only those who can understand Durlag and his plight are able to make their way through the lowest level. As I see it, the spirit of Durlag judged Yeslick to be worthy, and knew that Kagain would never understand, nor truly care what happened. And thus the axe broke at exactly the right time. The party would indeed go on to uncover the tragedy of what occurred and would free the tower from its' demonic inhabitant, something which Kagain would not have agreed with (especially as by that point they would have had already thoroughly looted the place).

So, does anyone else have an experience like this? When things just come together to make the game come alive. :)

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like that. It explains a lot and helps the character come together.

Ah, if only I could mod my IOS. That sounds like a fun addition.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Now that is everything coming together as a narrative. :)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Blackraven
    I remember Serene well. She was one of my favorites of all your characters. I remember the way you told her story gave me several moments of feeling like I just did reading @Grum story here today.