Skip to content

Banter / romances etc. in multiplayer

Hi

I have a question regarding Multiplayer: Does the banter dialogue inbetween NPCs and the player character work in BG2EE multiplayer? I want to play the game with a friend (he never played the game before) with each only having created 1 character and 4 NPCs. According to this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31174/8445-multiplayer-no-banter
it does not work? Is this still the case, is there a workaround maybe? Since all those dialogues add a lot of atmosphere, it would be really unfortunate if it it does not work, I dont know if I want to play the game this way at all. :(

Another thing: I have found lots of posts in the internet (from the early - mid 2000s) from people who played the original BG2 referencing dialogue and romances in multiplayer. There seems to be even a mod working for multiplayer (http://www.gibberlings3.net/amber/). So apparently it worked back then for the original BG2 it seems to me. Can somebody maybe confirm that? In that case we may would try the original BG2.

It would be nice if someone could shed some light on this. Thank you. :)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Up until the latest patch banters did not work in multiplayer mode. The latest patch added the ability to enable multiplayer banters by modifying the baldur.ini file. I do not know the exact line you need to put into baldur.ini to enable the banters but @Jalily or @elminster may know.
  • jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    Thank you. I found it. I really hope it will work. :smile:
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    elminster said:

I assume you just change this line

'Multiplayer', 'Disable Banters', '1',

to have a 0 at the end instead of a 1.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason it would disable banters by default?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited February 2015
    Tresset said:

Up until the latest patch banters did not work in multiplayer mode. The latest patch added the ability to enable multiplayer banters by modifying the baldur.ini file. I do not know the exact line you need to put into baldur.ini to enable the banters but @Jalily or @elminster may know.

actually, my MP game was started before the latest patch and we got banters from the various NPCs that have been with us, including romancable ones doing the romance banters. are you sure this option wasn't added only to disable the banters?

edit: it may also have been for NPC to NPC banter. come to think of it I don't think we've had two NPCs interact with each other.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    AHF said:

elminster said:

No clue.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    AHF said:

elminster said:

@AHF According to the Devs (from the patch notes), "NPC banters were disabled during multiplayer by default to maintain forward momentum for all players"

Note that adding that line to your ini file will make it so that NPCs controlled only by the host player will be able to initiate banters just like they would in single-player. Client players' NPCs still won't initiate banters but will participate in banters started by host-controlled NPCs.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    elminster said:

AHF said:

elminster said:

No clue.
    That was the way it always was for MP back in the originals. This is actually more of a new feature that has been added with a "use at your own risk" clause.
  • minutusminutus Member Posts: 16
    I wonder if they were unable to fix the banters, or if it was deemed not worth the time. Damn shame for those who want to experience that story aspect of the game together, as well as the consequences/repercussions that the choices in the banters can have. Imho this stuff was what made the co-op in bg special and unique.

I guess it could be worse - at least the vanilla behavior was left as an ini option. In my experience the mp banter breaks if an interjecting party member is controlled by other player. This can happen mid banter, so you only see the first part of the talks sometimes. Also, if there's a state change involved (like relation between party members gets flagged in a certain way) that won't fire either. Other than missing a bunch of content it never broke the game for us.

"by default to maintain forward momentum for all players" This reasoning is just silly though.