Skip to content

Advice to get better at the game?

LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
I recently finished Icewind Dale and intend to play the Heart of Winter expansion next. Icewind Dale is the first Infinity Engine game I've finished and I finished it on Normal. However, I'm interested in learning more and challenge myself further than that, especially for my playthrough of the HoW expansion, but also for future playthroughs. I'm a huge fan of the Souls series and have done several challenge runs in all three of them, and the Infinity games seem to bear the same potential from what I've seen from solo runs etc.

So what are the best advice you can give to somebody who kind of knows what they're doing, but is not an "expert"? Such as, the most viable party setup, which spells and items to use(potions, arrows, quick-use items etc)for different situations etc.

I am aware that doing successful challenge runs include a great deal of knowledge. However, I'd like this thread to be as spoiler free as possible when it comes to locations of items, and rather be more focused on general advice regarding the combat and so on, as well as minor tips and tricks, that takes you farther than the Normal difficulty, if not even further than just that.

EDIT: Grammar
Post edited by LundmaN on

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    One of the things that people don't talk about often are the little behaviors and habits you pick up over the course of the game. It's important to break out of those, to make sure you see alternative possibilities. And to the see the drawbacks and limitations of the things you like.

Reading about other people's runs can be very informative. Ras is a good example. The sword it summons doesn't last long, but it's virtually invincible. But I would never have known that if I hadn't heard @Blackraven mention it in one of his own runs.
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    hispls said:

Really without seeing how you're playing now it's hard to say what "obvious" stuff you might be missing?

I understand if my post is slightly vague, but the tips you gave me was the stuff I wanted to hear.
    About the auto-pause, in which situations do you recommend using it more? Because thus far, I've only used it to pause the game in the start of an encounter.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    LundmaN said:

hispls said:

Really without seeing how you're playing now it's hard to say what "obvious" stuff you might be missing?

I understand if my post is slightly vague, but the tips you gave me was the stuff I wanted to hear.
    About the auto-pause, in which situations do you recommend using it more? Because thus far, I've only used it to pause the game in the start of an encounter.

What the guy above me said for sure. Trap detected, enemy sighted, enemy defeated, spell cast. In IWD or BG1 it's not so important since you're only doing 1 thing per turn usually so you won't miss a lot. In BG2/ToB where you can often have 10 attacks per turn (and enemies are sometimes doing the same)wasting even a second of real time can start to tip the balance of a hard battle against you... if you're at an easy part of the game feel free to turn them off, of course, but as the power level of the battles increases it becomes more and more useful.

Spell triggers can be very handy, and at high level Chain Contingency is incredibly powerful.

If you use an evil priest "turn undead" can charm enemy undead and you can make them fight for you which I find much more useful than them just running away from you.

A good RPG strategy in general is to save often and in many different slots. If you find a game-breaking bug or you made a big mistake the less you have to go back in time to fix the problem the better.

• reivisionreivision Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2015
    One more auto pause that can be useful is weapon unusable. Just in case your 16HP mage runs out of bullets and wades into melee to start beating on people with his/her fists. It will pause between stacks of ammo but you can just unpause those. Comes up pretty infrequently but it can screw you up in the middle of a hectic fight, especially on a hardcore run. Good for BG1 too when your metal weapons break.

Edit: Could work for summoned weapons too, but I'm not sure about that one.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I wish the "weapon unusable" autopause worked when mobs are immune to particular weapons/damage types.

"No effect?"
    "Blasted beggar's immune!"
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2015
    reivision said:

One more auto pause that can be useful is weapon unusable. Just in case your 16HP mage runs out of bullets and wades into melee to start beating on people with his/her fists. It will pause between stacks of ammo but you can just unpause those. Comes up pretty infrequently but it can screw you up in the middle of a hectic fight, especially on a hardcore run. Good for BG1 too when your metal weapons break.

Edit: Could work for summoned weapons too, but I'm not sure about that one.

Haha this actually happened to me in Icewind Dale... I was a bit confused when I noticed my Thief had decided to try tanking with her fists... So yeah, that's a good one.

Alright. Enemy sighted, Trap detected, Character injured, Enemy defeated, Spell cast and Weapon unusable.
    Thanks a lot.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Im not having a good day. I am stuck with tier 2 fight 4 of black pits. The fight with unlimited enemies. The black pits is impossibly hard.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @DKnight what fight is that again?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    It's a nasty fight yes. Jellies, shadows, golems, imps. If you don't eliminate the portals, than they grows on you quite fast. I can only write my tactics with my 4 member party: a fighter, a cleric, a shadowdancer and a level 1 mage. First i disabled the ogre mage with silence (from the cleric) and wand of fear (from the mage), than i attacked the two nearer portals, one with my fighter, the other with the cleric (melee) and the two remaining member (missile). I eliminated the portals one by one and ignored the enemies, until all the portals are closed. Then i getrid with the critters on the scene: first the golems, than the shadows, jellies and imps. The ogre mage at last. The level 1 mage used the wand of fear frequently, to disable the ogre mage, and some of the imps, while the others were fighting. I succed at my second attempt, first my preparation was bad, and i get a lot of golems, one chunked my mage too.
    Preparation is essential, you can buff your party before the fight with long lasting buffs (i cheap with potions, but be wizer than me and drink a lot of potion for this battle: potion of insulation and potion of speed come handy in this fight, but visit my myconid comrade and their duergar partner, you will find more useful potions by them. Put the party member with the highest charisma on the lead for best prices, if (s)he is an arcane caster you can use the friends spell for more charisma.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Slow, Glitterdust and (in the case of bgee) Sleep. These three spells will save you from much pain.
    Teleport Field in BG2 is another very powerful spell. It doesn't disable anybody or do any damage, but it makes things extremely difficult for enemy fighters to touch the party.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    elminster said:

Slow, Glitterdust and (in the case of bgee) Sleep. These three spells will save you from much pain.

Also Web, and Chaos. Chaos gives a phat -4, so you can get a ton of mileage out of it. In BG2, Greater Malison can significantly improve your odds, giving enemies -20% on saves.

Finally, consider casting some spells more than once. 2 Webs in BG1 will hold almost anyone reliably, imagine tossing in Greater Malison! This is why having 2 or more casters is considered a good strategy in BG, as you can set up nasty, nasty situations at low levels that even a ToB enemy can fall victim to. A sequencer with 2 Webs, and a cast of Greater Malison is a brutal, brutal trick 2 casters can drop at BG1 levels, and the odds of avoiding both webs are downright bad. An enemy with a save vs spells of 0 has a 51% chance of being webbed at least once. More casters means you could easily do 2 sequencers of Web, and 1 Greater Malison, giving about a 75% success rate vs a normally very safe save.
    Likewise, the easiest ways to die involve these kinds of spells. Saving throws will help a lot, but immunities are even better.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Likewise, the easiest ways to die involve these kinds of spells. Saving throws will help a lot, but immunities are even better.

Good point! Learn from the Cloakwood it's lesson!