Skip to content

Conjuring lesser elementals

Are they supposed to work like that, that you have no actual control over them even after successful psychic contest? If the caster attacks someone in their vicinity they sluggishly (might) partake in it. I'm talking about BGII:EE 5th level mage spells.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    Thanks! I'm continuing in that thread.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited February 2015
    Probably better continuing here as that was before the 1.3 patch.

I don't seem to have any problems with level 5 elementals, they summon OK and either go hostile or become responsive with an aggressive script.

I tried chaos > dispel but got disrupted. By the time I was able to line a 2nd dispel up the chaos wore off and shortly afterwards (might have been rounds rather than seconds), the elemental was responsive again. @Bengoshi can you remember what enemy you tried - I used the Planar Prison Warden but he was wilting, FoD'ing and disintegrating them first so not a great test.

Oh, and try setting "Game Options", "Color Circles", 0 in your ini files. Same save with 1 (edited, left) and 0 (edited, right)

& @Azaloom it sounds like your issue may be linked to mods.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Stratagems is only mod I have and now I've updated it to latest version and the behavior is the same. How do you delete those elemental files, as described in the linked thread on 2nd post to get them working again? It'd be real easy to say if someone with unmodded game dl'd my savefile and tried those spells. You might need to add them to memorizable spells and rest.
    Screenshot of summoning skeleton warrior and fire elemental, then having them force attack Keldorn.

Sluggishness might be due to the SCS scripts, if they are more refined that probably makes them longer and hence slower to process. Could be the tipping point on lower-end machines. If SCS keeps the same script names you may find the summons (xxxxx.cre) are not present but their scripts (yyyyy.bcs) are, and you'd need to investigate to find what creatures are affected (xxxxx values) and what scripts they use (yyyyy values).

In terms of removing files, all mod content should reside in the Override folder within the game folder. You'd need to find the files you are interested in and either move, delete or rename them while the game is not running. n.b. it isn't generally a good idea to remove parts of mods as that can lead to integrity issues, unless the mod is written in a way that each change it does works in isolation.

lolien
    edited February 2015
    Leaving this open to see if a repro case for chaos > dispel > loss of control can be made.
    lolien
    edited February 2015
    Thanks Gate70 for you input. Did you try to conjure lesser earth/air elementals, as per 5th level spells? I could conjure and have full control over those fire elemental with the fire staff my main char has in her inventory. I can't recall for sure how they behaved from spell book. But for sure I have never once had control over those 5th level conjurings (others may also apply, but no issue never with skeleton warriors). Only one time the lesser earth elemental attacked something, and I believe it might've been only because it was attacked by hostile enemy character.

Btw. I don't believe this has to do with slow processing power, as I'm running fairly capable 3770k with R9 280X and 16GB DDR3.
    lolien
    edited February 2015
    I used whatever was memorised in the save. Have just tried with those spells and worked fine. Both elementals attacked the target as soon as he went hostile without me having to control them, and I'd previously moved them via control so all working as expected.
    lolien
    So you are not supposed to have full control over them (green circle) and normal behavior is that they remain neutral (blue), but follow you and attack anyone hostile? Thank you again.
    lolien
    I had control. I could have ordered them to attack or move away. Their ai would kick in the same as it would for an NPC assigned a script.
    lolien