Skip to content

Protagonist for Evil party

I havn't played this game for quite a few years and Im thinking about starting a new evil party using scs2 and ascension from bp. I think of a party with korgan, edwin, viconia and Jan. I also want to add dorn since i used him in bg1. I wan't include hexxat since a single class theif seems like a waste of space. The question is: What protagonist should i use? I got this stupid idea that i could play a inquistor, the kit is quite strong, and i can use the holy avenger. It just feels a bit wrong to use a "good" kit in an evil party. Maybe two paladins is too much anyway, what does you guys think? Any other ideas?
I would like some ideas for a good party as well

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited February 2015
    If you want to play an Inquisitor, I'd do it almost Warhammer 40k-style. One extremely dogmatic "good guy" pursuing the "greater good" with extreme prejudice, and the various brutes and ne'er-do-wells (s)he happened to conscript along the way, possibly as penance for their crimes. It'd still be hard to justify Dorn in BG2, though. He makes Snidely Whiplash look like a halfway decent person.

jackjack's right, though, in that your front line doesn't need much help. Not that your anything needs much help, in that party. You could run a cleric/mage as an acolyte to some dark god, a skald or jester as a scheming strategist, or a druid (any kit, or even multiclass) as a scourge of civilization. You could run a monk, simply because you don't have one, or a fighter/thief for maximum backstabs.

That's it for the top of my head. Good luck finding something cool.
    Post edited by Jarrakul on
  • King_NothingKing_Nothing Member Posts: 26
    I guess i would go with the pala then and make him evil in the trial of hell. I could go for a sorc because its the best overall class, but he would take edwins robe from him, i dont think edwin would like that. I think i would use dorn and SOA and then swap him for the secret new companion in tob
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I'd go fighter/cleric or fighter/druid. You already have two mages in Jan and Edwin, and Dorn and Korgan are all the pure muscle you really need. Viconia is a great cleric, but she alone probably won't be enough. Adding a fighter class makes CHARNAME similar to a paladin, except he/she learns divine spells earlier, can only use blunt weapons (not a big deal, really, as some of the best weapons are blunt weapons) or druid weapons, and doesn't have to be Lawful Good.
    The main reason i like inquistor is the dispell and true sight, they really helps in a lot of battles. But you guys might be right, and a fighter/cleric or fighter/mage is better
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Monk of Shar! Enjoy having insane magic resistance, high movement speed, and bits n' pieces of a fighter, thief and mage.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You might want more arcane power for hard fights, but I strongly suspect you're a physical combat type player, so a Blade would work great as noted, and he would likely not have any conflicts for weapons with anyone else, likely DWing Belm and Scarlet for 4 apr base most of the time after getting UAI. Jan can even hold onto Kundane for some Assassination fun.

That said, I really suspect an Avenger would add a great deal to that party. Druids have brutal options right when Avengers start running out of great new mage spells. Chaos alone is amazing, Web is amazing, tossing in a few more generally useful spells (...and Lightning Bolt) along with things like Creeping Doom, summoning Elemental Princes, etc, you get serious bang for your buck. If you fall during the hell trials, you can wear the Human Flesh armour, which IMHO is the standard gear for a high level Shadow Druid anyways. :wink: Early on, your shapeshifted forms offer some tricks, especially Sword Spider after webbing everyone, but the big payout will be tons of great debuffs and damage spells that other folks can't cast. I wouldn't bother with the Elemental Forms, but ymmv.

Darkmoon Monk can dispel illusions, but so can Jan. Who needs an inquisitor when they have Jan? Nobody, thats who! But Darkmoon Monks are a good, solid support character, and your party has everything covered but Druid magic.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Don't rule out Hexxat. While not a really compelling character as far as personality, her stats are really awesome at night time or inside and being straight class she'll get some great trap setting power which can go a long way in some of the tougher battles plus HLAs early (think about UAI with her 20 strength?).

I'd also suggest druid or some variety of split-class or pure mage. You could make a good case for either of them to round out the party. Perhaps if you have a preferred stronghold quest line use that to decide, but I'd agree you definitely won't need PC to be a tank or thief.

Monk sounds interesting as well, but they may be too much of a liability early game if you're using some of the really crazy powered mods, they don't really blossom until really high levels IMO.
    I think it ends with a fighter/mage multiclass, i would miss the true sight ability from the inquistor, but my mages can casts those as well. The bard seems like a weaker version of a fighter/mage anyway. Too bad Dorn isn't an evil inquistor, i doubt his abilities is worth much in the late game
    Blades are pretty amazing melee characters actually, better than a F/M. They can't toss high level spells, but there are most of the key spells by lvl 6 magic, especially the buffs. Don't sell them short. I suppose they do need some micromanagement to excel though.

Truesight is like a crappy version of Detect Illusions, which has unlimited uses. Just learn to love DI and you won't miss Truesight... and if you do, Jan can still cast it.

If you really like F/M multi, F/I is pretty much all around a bit better.
    I'd argue that Blades are outperformed in terms of physical damage by F/Ms, due to lack of specialization and the fact that Offensive Spin doesn't stack with Improved Haste. Blades do tend to outperform F/Ms in terms of tanking and spell damage, though, since they're so much higher level at almost any given point and have access to Defensive Spin.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I'd say you need a melee guy for this group. Not a pure one but some of suggested hybrid classes feel fitting. F/M, F/C, R/C, Blade, Dark Moon Monk..

Dorn and Korgan make a good frontline duo but there are tons of situations where 2 frontliners are just not enough. Viconia or Jan will do in a pinch but then you are not playing with your strenghts. I guess somebody will make the argument that Viconia is decent in melee but she IS a better backliner.

Although I have to clarify that while most people play with front-, mid- and backlines, I play with only front- and backline. That's why I use 3 melees and 3 backliners of various sorts.

If you were to change Jan to Haer'Dalis, I'd suggest picking the part of thief yourself. F/T or a T/M. This way you would get the traditional front-, mid- and backlines nicely into order.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The go-to class really used to be Thief of some kind, due to lack of evil thief, but since you're using Jan (and have Hexxat anyway) you can really go any way you want now.

My canon Bhaalspawn was a Fighter/Thief, but I found her a bit redundant with Hexxat on the team. Honestly, my main recommendation would be to go Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Cleric (Dual) or Mage/Cleric (Multi). I felt like I could have really used another high-level caster a lot of the time.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I've got a very similar party in play at the moment and for roleplaying purposes my protagonist is a Priest of Talos, which I find fits the mood of the party very well.
  • Axenotis9Axenotis9 Member Posts: 15
    Nimran said:

I'd go fighter/cleric or fighter/druid. You already have two mages in Jan and Edwin, and Dorn and Korgan are all the pure muscle you really need. Viconia is a great cleric, but she alone probably won't be enough. Adding a fighter class makes CHARNAME similar to a paladin, except he/she learns divine spells earlier, can only use blunt weapons (not a big deal, really, as some of the best weapons are blunt weapons) or druid weapons, and doesn't have to be Lawful Good.

If you are about to make a multiclass char. better be a Fighter/Cleric than a Fighter/BadFighter_BadCleric. Cause that's what a druid is, a Fighter and a Cleric, with the abilities on turning into animals.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    I'm about to finish Chapter Two with:

Kensai/Thief
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Edwin

There isn't much need for another tank with Korgan and the K/T flanking. Sometimes I throw in some summons. Once Viconia hits level 15, raise undead will help out a lot in situations where I need more than Korgan standing in the front.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Dragon Disciples are awesome. Very fitting in an evil party.
    Axenotis9 said:

Nimran said:

If you are about to make a multiclass char. better be a Fighter/Cleric than a Fighter/BadFighter_BadCleric. Cause that's what a druid is, a Fighter and a Cleric, with the abilities on turning into animals.
    A FD multi with Elemental Form and GWW is a very, very strong fighter. Better than a CF multi I would wager, but its Ironskin vs AoF and DoE, so the CF might be more durable. There are some sweet clubs in SoA, and Belm, which can compete well with the FotA +3. C/F is going to need many buffs to keep up with a FD DWing Gnasher and Belm. Or Blackblood and Belm.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Evil party that doesn't use Hexxat? You sicken me.

- She's literally immortal.
    - She has 20 strength.
    - Full backstab progression. Oh, it doesn't work on liches, you say? Who cares? Almost nothing works on liches. She can down trolls in one hit at level 8.
    - 100 in every Thief skill within a few levels.
    - Use Any Item.
    - Free bag of holding.
    - Children of Night special ability summons a bunch of wolves for those pussies who like to hide behind a menagerie of summoned creatures.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167

- She has 20 strength.
    - Full backstab progression. Oh, it doesn't work on liches, you say? Who cares? Almost nothing works on liches. She can down trolls in one hit at level 8.
    - Use Any Item.
    - Free bag of holding.
    - Children of Night special ability summons a bunch of wolves for those pussies who like to hide behind a menagerie of summoned creatures.

LMAO......Hexxat is nasty. I thought she was OP in my first BG2EE.
  • AerevynAerevyn Member Posts: 14
    Damn, reading this makes me want to start an evil party now!
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236

- She has 20 strength.
    - Use Any Item.
    - Free bag of holding.

And you can take her cloak off in the middle of the day and watch her burn for a few minutes. You know, if Team Evil gets bored.

What? Evil people need entertainment too, and Faerun doesn't have reality TV.
    Hexxat is quite powerful, but it does get kind of annoying to constantly manage that cloak of hers. I can see how someone might not want to use her, based on that alone.
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    Coincidentally, all of the evil NPCs in BG2 are single classes and they form a very balanced party already on their own (2 Warriors, 1 Priest, 1 Rogue and 1 Wizard). I'd choose a non-Warrior single class. Monk, Bard and Sorcerer are very interesting (and fun) classes. If you're playing with SCS installed, the latter two are even more adequate; Edwin as the sole mage, powerful as he is, won't be enough.

Tbh, all this party needs is a fearsome leader who keeps the bastards from stabbing themselves.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited February 2015

- She has 20 strength.
    - Use Any Item.
    - Free bag of holding.

Jan is pretty much better in every way, got a ton of thieving skills thanks to his special equipment, he is much more powerful end game and because he's a mage he will deal more damage and have much more utility.

And in my opinion the problem with Hexxat isn't the gameplay, it's the character in itself. I've been starting to warm up to Rasaad and Dorn, but i doubt i'll ever find Hexxat useful or interesting.

[Edited] : And we're talking about Jan, you don't find much more hilarious dialogues in the game than the stories he comes up with.

[Edited 2] : The one thing Hexxat has going for her early game is being a pure class thief, but this is a dual edged sword and once you reach end game you'll see that she falls of the power scale.