Skip to content

Dr. K's Pathetic Attempts at a No-reload SCS Insane Runthrough

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
Okay, so here's how this will go:
1. I will play every class at least once, in order, starting with unkitted paladin and moving downwards through unkitted classes, then moving into kits.
2. I will play every alignment at least once, starting with lawful good.
3. I will bring party members if it seems likely in the roleplaying sense. A CN cleric is as likely to kill Xzar as he is to help him.
4. This playthrough may not be frequently updated, but I'll try.
5. I have a lot of mods at this point. If I notice something that could be confusing, I will point out the respective mod.

So, here goes. First update by the end of today.

EDIT: I will also try to play each race.

EDIT the second: Memorial to the fallen

Thoeral, Human Male, LG Paladin
Killed by Mendas in Candlekeep (thanks SCS!)
RIP

Quint, Dwarf Male, LE Cleric
Killed by Karlat in the Red Sheaf Inn
RIP

Robin, Half-elf Female, N Druid
Killed by Tristan in the South Beregost Road (thanks Dark Horizons!)
RIP

Roland, Dwarf Male, NG Berserker
Killed by Silke in Beregost
RIP
Post edited by dockaboomski on

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2015
    Insane on scs? That's rough. Good luck!

While role playing is all well and good, I would kindly suggest not detailing every little mundane quest/happening in the game, otherwise your updates may take ages and can become a chore for you. And for some readers who has done the same fetch quests a hundred times before. This will let you get into the juicy/exciting parts faster.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @lunar Yeah...that's going to change.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    LOL keep it up that was awesome
    Dreppin's plans turned out to be much more simple that Thoeral expected, but regardless, he was happy to help. Returning to Phlydia with her book, she rewarded Thoeral with a gem, which he parted with for 7 gp. Continuing on to find Hull, he sparred with Jondalar and Erik, before stopping to speak to Reevor. Upon entering the storehouse, he was ambushed by rats...and a man, out to kill him (relocated via SCS?).

Swarmed by the rats and the assassin, and without armor, Thoeral was struck down in two hits.

...there goes round one, ding.

Up next, a cleric of some kind.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    LOL he didn't even make it out of Candlekeep! I'm not seeing these as being very long play throughs. ..
    We're back, with Robin the druid. She's a pleasant person who thinks practically.

She was eager to leave Candlekeep and experience nature, so she took the Watcher's opportunity for a fast way out, equipping herself relatively well.

Unlike the dwarf Quint, Robin liked Imoen, and was glad to offer her a spot on Gorion's journey. Gorion died that night, much to her dismay. The next morning, she ran across Imoen, who suggested finding Gorion's body. They had a thoughtful discussion upon their arrival.

After their discussion, Robin decided to try returning to Candlekeep with the bad news. She hoped they would let her and Imoen return, but the Keeper would not allow it.

That night, Robin and Imoen buried Gorion, letting him become one with nature. Further up the road, the duo came across Xzar and Monty.

Robin is an enterprising woman, and knows reinforcements can be useful, however untrustworthy they may appear. Entering the crossroads, the party was attack by the most vicious of foes - a lone xvart. Only the gods know how powerful an xvart must be to strike out alone.

He caused no trouble. Robin met Eldoth, but did not entertain his advances. She had no use for a man who would not follow her orders. Xzar and Monty would, out of respect of common goals and mutual agreement, whereas Eldoth seemed he would not.

The group continued on, reaching the Friendly Arm Inn within the day. Buying better armor and equipment at a merchant in the square (unsure of what mod), Robin was approached by a man named Tarnesh.

Unsurprisingly, Tarnesh was an assassin, and a mage, to boot. The party did a little damage to him before he cast Horror on the group. Crying with terror, Robin, Imoen, and Xzar fled, leaving only Monty to stand ground against Tarnesh.

As she fled, Imoen turned and fired one last shot at the mage. It was a critical hit, and, embedding itself into the deceptive wizard, killed him. Good job, Imoen. Quint would have been proud.

After the rest of the group stopped panicking, Imoen mentioned wanting to learn Tarnesh's spells. If they survive long enough, she will, and Xzar will begin worshiping some god as well. Robin led the way into the inn proper. She felt drawn to a pair of half-elves in the corner, and sure enough, it was Jaheira and Khalid, the ones Gorion told her about. They joined the group, with an even more convenient excuse to go to Nashkel.

I'm feeling pretty good about this. Maybe Robin will be the first to actually level up. Hopefully.
    Okay, sorry for the delay. Here we go:

The group left the Friendly Arm Inn and traveled southward to Beregost. On the way, they dispatched a group of gibberlings that posed little threat. Once they reached Beregost, they bought some supplies from the smithy and worked on to Nashkel. Then they met the ogrillons.

They almost took out Khalid, who ran after being reduced to such a low health (go figure). Jaheira was able to heal him.

It was the last thing that she did. Finishing off the brutes, Robin took Jaheira to the nearby temple and got her resurrected. Wanting to redo some of his spells, Xzar suggested spending the night at an inn. Inside, they met Morwen, added from some mod or another.

Seeing that many of her items were a bit to powerful, and as I didn't want to make the game too easy, she didn't stick around for long. The group passed the dead ogrillons, and met two assassins, presumably added from the same mod as Morwen. They decimated the group, killing Monty easily and moving along with great speed.

Xzar and Robin fled, in hopes that the playthrough wouldn't end like this. But, alas, it did.

...again, again...
    I was really enjoying playing Robin, too. Man.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Might I recommend a Dwarven Berserker with high constitution? Survival seems to be an issue, and those are bloody hard to kill.
    @DreadKhan Sure. That'll be next.
    Oh you have Dark Horizons! Morwen may be from that mod. She may be a tad overpowered gear-wise. But do you know what items the two thugs killed you have? Tristan and Isolde. Yeah. A +2 returning throwing dagger with +1 attack. And a sword that does extra magic damage and has a chance to hold without save. You need to use Morwen and her items, it is only fair.
    How many HPs do those munchkins have? Also, that gear would be useful in ToB ffs! MAYBE a bit much?
    DreadKhan said:

How many HPs do those munchkins have? Also, that gear would be useful in ToB ffs! MAYBE a bit much?

They are nothing special, statwise. Umm, maybe Tristan had 20 or so strength, but not that many hps. Plus they are affected by charm person and command spells very easily. Blindness or spook also takes them out. Xzar sucks as he has the least useful spells vs them. Try chill touching a str 20 brute wielding that munchkin sword. Hello, chunky death.

@DreadKhan Dwarven Berserker is going very nicely. I'll probably update tonight.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I remember kiting Ettercaps for the XP with a solo Strifeleader of Cyric/Bounty Hunter Half-Orc. I reached level 3 and I haven't even touched a single quest!
    Damn, hard luck! Did you lose much irreplaceable stuff? Quest items won't disapear iirc, even from ambush areas.
    @DreadKhan Fortunately, my biggest loss was Imoen's wand of magic missiles. Roland was carrying the important things.