Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @jastey I didn't recognize you with the portrait change.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @ThacoBell I know what you mean, I recognize users by their pic, too. - I don't intend to change it again.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited May 2018
    jastey said:

@AstroBryGuy
    in BWS I see an entry for the mod "Nightfarer's Area Patcher" that fixes something in two of the BG1NPC Romance Challenges areas:
    5000=Fix BG1NPC Romance Challenges - X#AJR1.ARE
    5001=Fix BG1NPC Romance Challenges - X#CH11.ARE

Do you know anything about this? Are these fixes already included in bg1npc itself?

I don't have a download link. As soon as SHS is back up again I could ask Nightfarer about it.

This mod is part of BWFixpack: https://github.com/BigWorldProject/Big-World-Fixpack/tree/master/Big World Fixpack/_Area_Patcher

This is covered in BG1NPC. If you install BG1NPC before the EET conversion, I guess the Area_Patcher could be needed to update the travel links to BG0007.

/* fireworks area (FW6001) */ ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~tutu tutu_totsc~ THEN BEGIN COPY ~bg1npc/Phase3/CHALLENGE/itm/x#ajr1.are~ ~override/x#ajr1.are~ END ELSE BEGIN ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee eet~ THEN BEGIN COPY ~bg1npc/Phase3/CHALLENGE/bgee/x#ajr1_bgee.are~ ~override/x#ajr1.are~ WRITE_ASCIIE 0x08 ~%Encounter_Forest1%~ #8 WRITE_ASCIIE 0x18 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCIIE 0x24 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCIIE 0x30 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCIIE 0x3c ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 END ELSE BEGIN COPY ~bg1npc/Phase3/CHALLENGE/itm/x#ajr1_bgt.are~ ~override/x#ajr1.are~ END END /* Fighting Area */ COPY_EXISTING ~x#ajr1.are~ ~override/x#ch11.are~ WRITE_ASCII 0x94 ~X#AR6001~ #8

EDIT: The fix may be needed for BGT. It looks like the BGT version of the .ARE files has the Tutu destination, FW0007. I will fix the BG1NPC area file.

I wish BWS/BWFixpack would submit these as bug reports to BG1NPC rather than making a mod to fix a mod. *sigh*
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Thank you very much for looking into this and adding the fix!

I wish BWS/BWFixpack would submit these as bug reports to BG1NPC rather than making a mod to fix a mod. *sigh*

Why? You can check the fixpack for fixes of your mods, it's really too much to ask that people working on fixing other people's mods should spend three minutes letting them know.
    My last sentence might contain sarcasm.

@AstroBryGuy I didn't really think yesterday evening. Because I don't think travel triggers are needed to work in the challenge areas. It's always StorePartyLocations(), teleport in via cutscene, RestorePartyLocations(). These challenges can happen anywhere in BG, so there's no fixed area the party would walk back to, plus there is no time for walking because it's just a sequence of cutscenes and dialogues.
    Now it would be really good to know what the area patcher was actually fixing for these areas.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    jastey said:

Why? You can check the fixpack for fixes of your mods, it's really too much to ask that people working on fixing other people's mods should spend three minutes letting them know.

Because the original author may not be aware of the bug, or may be fixing it later, and be causing all kinds of compatiblity issues down the road.

Or I could be misinterpreting your intent, and you actually agree here. *is bad at sarcasm*
    edited May 2018
    @Thel It was sarcasm (as I pointed out in the post, actually)*. I am glad to see that other people feel the same as I - that the mod author should be made aware not only of the fix but of the bug, by all means! This is so logical for me that I don't understand how anyone could argue against it, but there are. Unfotrtunately, G3 and SHS are down atm so I can't link to the discussions.

*If you find a "fix" for your mod that not only you weren't aware of existed but also does something bad to your mod (i.e. doing something that might look like a fix in first glance but isn't because it is breaking something else) and then have to listen to "arguments" why it's not possible you were informed about it in the first place then for me sarcasm is sometimes the only thing I can turn to to react.

AstroBryGuy: sorry for the OT.
    jastey said:

@AstroBryGuy I didn't really think yesterday evening. Because I don't think travel triggers are needed to work in the challenge areas. It's always StorePartyLocations(), teleport in via cutscene, RestorePartyLocations(). These challenges can happen anywhere in BG, so there's no fixed area the party would walk back to, plus there is no time for walking because it's just a sequence of cutscenes and dialogues.
    Now it would be really good to know what the area patcher was actually fixing for these areas.

I didn't think about that myself. I should not be investigating bug reports in the middle of the night. :smile:

The area_patcher mod itself is entirely contained within BWS. Here's the .tp2 file:

https://github.com/BigWorldProject/Big-World-Fixpack/blob/master/Big World Fixpack/_Area_Patcher/Area_Patcher/Setup-Area_Patcher.tp2

The only thing it does for x#ajr1.are and x#ch11.are is change the travel trigger destinations.

For example:
    COPY_EXISTING ~X#AJR1.ARE~ ~override~ WRITE_ASCII 0x0018 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCII 0x0024 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCII 0x0030 ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 WRITE_ASCII 0x003c ~%NBaldursGate_RinniesHouse_L2%~ #8 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

It is apparently harmless since the travel triggers are unused. Still, if the BWS maintainers had made a report, they could have been told that this is unnecessary.

And, no apologies necessary.
    Thank you! It will be removed from BWS, at least as a "preselected" fix.
    btw: since I was asking after noticing it in BWS while updating one of my mods, and since there is no real maintainer currently, in a way you were informed officially just now. :D
  • CactusOfTheFiveGlensCactusOfTheFiveGlens Member Posts: 14
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i've had with installing and running the NPC project mod.

In short, over the past two weeks - i have installed, uninstalled and then reinstalled the mod multiple times and every time, the game will not start. I have installed the latest versions of both this mod as well as Modmerge (which is needed since i have siege of Dragonspear installed) and yet the game will not start. I have even fully deleted my BG EE directory on steam and then undertook the installation process again and still it does not work. I am rather at a loss for ideas as i have followed (i feel) the instructions of the mod installation rather closely and still i make no process. There is seemingly nothing wrong with the base game as it runs fine without the mod installed. What makes it stranger is that i have, on a previous occasion, installed the mod and the game functioned perfectly fine.

It is a shame for this to happen as the NPC project is an excellent mod and greatly improves the Baldur's Gate experience.

I am using windows 10 and all my games are installed onto an external Hardrive.

If you need anymore information, just ask.
    Which version of the game are you running? If you have the v2.5 beta, you need to disable the SoD DLC. SoD is not updated for the v2.5. Also, BG1NPC is not yet updated for v2.5 either.

If you are running 2.3.67.3, please post your WeiDU.log and the SETUP-BG1NPC.DEBUG file.
    This may sound terribly ignorant, but how do i post the file?

I can't seem to copy and paste them.

Put the files in a zip archive. You can attach .zip files to posts.
    Right, here are WeiDU and Debug files.
    edited June 2018
    I wouldn't know how a mod should prevent the game from starting? @CactusOfTheFiveGlens one stupid question just to be sure: If you uninstall the mod from your current game, it starts normally?
    Jatsey - Yes, when i uninstall the mod, the game starts up and runs as normal.
    I don't see any issues in the log files. Do you get an error message from Windows when the program crashes?

Unfortunately, I don't see any crashes on my system with BG1NPC loaded. So, I'm not sure what the problem might be.
    All I can think of is another stupid question... You installed modmerge first, before BG1NPC?

I have a faint recall of such a report but I think it was solved by applying modmerge so I am at a loss here.
    Jatsey - Yes, I did install modmerge first.

AstroBryGuy - Would it help if I sent you my entire Baldur's Gate folder to pore over?
    I don't recall ever receiving an error message when I tried to start the game.

Do you think this problem could have anything to do with a fault in the past of the external hardrive?
    Fault on the part of the external narrative - sorry.
    Hardrive not narrative
    Whether it's the harddrive one could check by copying the whole modded game folder to another HD (unless it's the protected C:, I'm not so firm with how Windows 10 tries to protect that), and see whether it starts from there.
    edited June 2018

Jatsey - Yes, I did install modmerge first.

AstroBryGuy - Would it help if I sent you my entire Baldur's Gate folder to pore over?

Not really. I don't use Windows.

@jastey's idea is a good way to check if the hard drive is the issue.

You could also try installing the first component of BG1NPC and seeing if the game launches correctly. If it does, then re-run the BG1NPC installer, install another component, and see if it launches. Do this until the game won't start. That will identify which component triggers the crashes.

Also, I wouldn't recommend modding your game in the steamapps folder. If I remember correctly, Steam is set to auto-update games. When an update is downloaded, this will overwrite your modded install with a fresh un-modded updated version (i.e., you'll lose the mods you've installed). Better to make a copy of the game to someplace Steam won't auto-update it and mod the copy.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited June 2018
    [removed]

Post edited by Very_BigSword on

byrne20 said:

I have been having a try of this mod and have come across a problem. I cant seem to find the cloakwood mine on the map. I make my way to the 4th cloakwood area and go east to search for the mine but nothing is coming up. not even a blanked out icon of the mine. Is this a known bug? or am i just doing something wrong?

With the "Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)" component installed, the Mines are revealed by script in the Bandit Camp. You can't reveal the Mines by linked navigation from the Cloakwood Wyverns area. This is to prevent accessing the Mines before Chapter 4 (i.e., and screwing up the storyline).
    @AstroBryGuy I am still stuck with this problem on every play through and use CLUA console to fix it. For me on v23.1 the bandit camp script adds Cloakwood Spiders to world map instead of the mine (AR1800). Is it just a case of amending the map reference in the script you mentioned?
    Right, I'll try both suggestions, though may take time for the secondary hardrive option. I'll try the gradual installation and see what happens.

byrne20 said:

I have been having a try of this mod and have come across a problem. I cant seem to find the cloakwood mine on the map. I make my way to the 4th cloakwood area and go east to search for the mine but nothing is coming up. not even a blanked out icon of the mine. Is this a known bug? or am i just doing something wrong?

With the "Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)" component installed, the Mines are revealed by script in the Bandit Camp. You can't reveal the Mines by linked navigation from the Cloakwood Wyverns area. This is to prevent accessing the Mines before Chapter 4 (i.e., and screwing up the storyline).
    @AstroBryGuy I am still stuck with this problem on every play through and use CLUA console to fix it. For me on v23.1 the bandit camp script adds Cloakwood Spiders to world map instead of the mine (AR1800). Is it just a case of amending the map reference in the script you mentioned?
    That should be fixed in v23.3, which is available on GitHub now.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases
    Jatsey - Sorry Jatsey, but what do you mean by the C:, being protected. I transported the BGEE folder to such a hardrive and i saw no change. Are you saying i should move it to another Hardrive?

That should be fixed in v23.3, which is available on GitHub now.

https://github.com/Gibberlings3/BG1NPC/releases

Thanks, a bit of a brain explosion that I did not even check for latest version. Also that weird double post where the first one disappeared so I made a new one, now both are there...

Not my best work!