Skip to content

No More Party-NPC Perma Deaths/Chunkings?

After a long hiatus, I started up a new BGEE game (core rules) with the 1.3 patch and I noticed that party-NPCs can no longer permanently die via "chunking." Is this new to the 1.3 patch or has this always been a feature of the BGEE?

I tested this by having Montaron backstab Xzar, both at level 1. Monty's damage never exceeds 3 points, despite his x2 backstab multiplier and a minimum damage of 4 hp (Short Sword +1 and weapon specialization). I have a few options installed from the G3 Tweaks mod, none of which should affect perma-deaths.

I've always liked the perma-death feature, as it adds a realistic challenge to the game. A critical hit from an Ogre Berserker when one has 1 hp should damage one's body beyond repair. As Judd Crandall from Pet Sematary once said, "Sometimes, dead is better."
MusignyBlackraven

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The easiest way to see it is still there is to go to the golem cave and try to melee one with your level 1-2 mage or thief : )
    lolienMusignyBlackravenMortianna
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Welcome back @Mortianna.
    MusignyJuliusBorisovBlackravenMortianna
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Game sometimes protects the lvl 1 pcs and npcs. They don't die from a single hit, if they have full hp. Thus, Xzar has 4 hp at full and game protects him and no attack can do more than 3 damage, he gets to survive at least one hit by a mercy rule of the engine. At lvl 2 this rule is no longer, even if he has only 5 hp. He will take full damage and can die in one hit.

An ice/fire arrow can kill a lvl 1 pc as it does piercing and then cold/fire damage. Seperate damage types work seperately.

A lvl 1 pc/npc can survive a fireball even, if he makes a save vs spells. The first half of the spell always hits and counts as one hit. The second half is blocked by save vs spells, and the pc survives with 1 hp.

If Xzar was wounded to at least 3 hp..then it is another matter! Game shows no mercy on a wounded lvl 1.
    MortiannaproccoJuliusBorisov
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Tresset @bengoshi @lunar I had it on "core" when I first tested the "chunkiness." I just put it on "insane" to check it again and used the CLUA Console to create a Flesh Golem right next to Xzar (who had 1 hp). I also tested the splatter factor by giving Monty various non-magical weapons with which to backstab wounded Xzar (short sword, club, longsword). All three only did 3 HPs of damage, despite a critical hit + x2 backstab from "Monty 'ol chum."

@lolien Thanks for the welcoming! It's good to be back! ^.^
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Maybe game also protects lvl 1 pcs from getting chunked. The engine thinks they deserve another chance, being total noobs. Try lvling him to 2, and cluaconsole the final boss next to him. That should be educational.
    JuliusBorisovMortianna
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited February 2015
    @lunar You're absolutely right about level 1 characters being immune to chunking. It's probably designed that way to quell all the noobs' tears. Was it this way with original BG? (EDIT: I just checked my GOG version of vanilla BG--the same "no first-level chunking" rule applies.)

I leveled everyone to 2nd or 3rd level, and only Imoen, Khalid, and Jaheira were chunked by the Flesh Golem. Even on insane, Xzar and Monty still cannot be chunked. Is this the hand of Bane or Cyric at work?
    Post edited by Mortianna on
    lolienlunarJuliusBorisov